Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suspense A/c Help!!

• 28-02-2008 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Hi all,

Im studying for the CIMA cert at the minute and having this problem with suspense accounts. I understand the concept pretty well however there is one specific example I dont understand. It talks about a mistake where the sales day book is undercast by say 200 quid. So obviously as a result sales is 200 lower and gross profit is less. The solution is to debit the suspense a/c and credit the sales a/c with the 200. Im confused though??? Whats happens the recievables a/c?? Surely that is going to be down 200 quid?? It also gets its total from the sales day book right??

It seems to be like an error of omission but nowhere do they mention that recievables needs to be debited by 200??

I hope this explains it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Stephen

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭acc grinds

the orginal entry was

Dr Debtors
    Cr suspense

To Fix it

Dr Suspense
    Cr Sales

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Audio

Thank for the quick response. Im not sure I follow though. Are you assuming that the debtors/recievable a/c reflected the extra 200??

The question in the example doesnt say that. It basically mentions about 10 errors that you have to remedy so there is no way of knowing whether or not this particular error has any impact on the trial balance difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Bren1609

You need to know waht the original entry for that transaction was. If it's not given to you in the question the correct journal to rectify it should have been:

Dr Debtors
    Cr Sales

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Audio

Thanks for that. Yeah that makes sense to me. In the book that I have they assume that the debtors a/c is correct.

Advertisement