Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Poor Mondeo Performance.

Options
  • 28-02-2008 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine bought a second hand (2006) Mondeo 2.0L CDTi. The problem is he is only getting 45 mph on a daily 60 mile round trip. Thats not the only issue. The car feels like a car full of concrete! Really dead. There is no turbo kick whatsoever. Is this normal? He's brought it back to the garage (only has it about 2 weeks) but they say there's nothing wrong with it.

Are Mondeo's that dead? Although I drive a petrol car myself I've driven diesels as well and I must say it does not seem like a turbo diesel.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Do turbos "kick" anymore? I thought they were more civilised now.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

Are you referring to the TDCI engine in the Mondeo? I've driven the 130bhp version and it's very petrol like, i.e. a very smooth power distribution across the whole rev range, with no real noticable kick as mike65 suggests.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

My turbo has some kick and will have more once I get a remap :D

pressing harder on the far right peddle will increase the mph ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

is it a 90bhp version? That will probably feel a bit slow in fairness!

Try another car and compare!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I would try replacing the air flow meter. plays havoc with deisel performance. Takes away all the torque if not right

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

voxpop wrote: »
    pressing harder on the far left peddle will increase the mph ;)

Actually, no, not unless you're perched on top of a hill creeping down it in 1st gear... :D Best advice - try the right one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

snigger..

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Churchy

45 mph on a 60 mile trip.

You mean it wont go above 45mph?? Or 45mpg?
    130PS Mondeo will average around 45mpg so its fine for fuel economy.
    If its 45mph ermm......................................

Mondeo 2.0L Cdti? They dont do a Cdti engine.

Please think before posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

Was driving a mates mondeo to the garage a few weeks back was a 2001 2.0tdci - no power - very slow getting up to speed but could get it up to 120km after flooring it... would take a few minutes!!

The problem was that an air intake pipe was loose and just needed to be closed tight again.

I have a 115bhp 2.0tdci 2006 mondeo and it performs as good as any petrol car i have driven before; plenty of power and response when required!! I have had no complaints so far!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Churchy wrote: »
    45 mph on a 60 mile trip.

You mean it wont go above 45mph?? Or 45mpg?
    130PS Mondeo will average around 45mpg so its fine for fuel economy.
    If its 45mph ermm......................................

Mondeo 2.0L Cdti? They dont do a Cdti engine.

Please think before posting.

Apologies, its a 2.0L TDCi and giving 45mpg. ;)

Its quoted as providing 62mpg so I think 45 mpg is a long way away from that. Also, even if there is no kick there is also no power. Really struggles to pick up speed on any kind of hill. It seems less than the equivalent of a 1.4L petrol engine and a number of us have driven the car and been surprised how lacking in power it is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

That 2.0 TDCI engine has plenty of power and torque in 115bhp guise. I'd say something isn't right with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

That 2.0 TDCI engine has plenty of power and torque in 115bhp guise. I'd say something isn't right with it.

I think so too.

His mechanic says there is something wrong with the turbo but the garage he bought it from is saying there's nothing wrong. Not a good situation.

Biro wrote: »
    Actually, no, not unless you're perched on top of a hill creeping down it in 1st gear... :D Best advice - try the right one!

what are you talking about - re-read the original post, you've blatantly misquoted me sir!!....ahem :D

Apologies, its a 2.0L TDCi and giving 45mpg. ;)

Its quoted as providing 62mpg so I think 45 mpg is a long way away from that. Also, even if there is no kick there is also no power. Really struggles to pick up speed on any kind of hill. It seems less than the equivalent of a 1.4L petrol engine and a number of us have driven the car and been surprised how lacking in power it is.

Id suggest he MAF also - unplugged my own and above 3k rpm there is nothing,revs go up but no power

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

If it is using large amounts of oil then the turbo might be gone and that would also explain a lack of power, the engine will run away on the sump oil and sieze if this is left. The air flow sensor has been mentioned also.

Do the turbo's have a wastegate on Mondeo diesels?

Either way get him to report it to the garage in writing and record the date, might help if something pops when the warranty runs out.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Get a Ford mechanic drive it. He'll know in 200 yards if it's running properly or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Dabko

Bought a 2001 mondeo 2.0ltr Tdci 4 months ago. Great car for mileage (50mpg) but have come across some non-engine problems.

Things like water leaking in to the drivers foot-well when wind/rain pelts against that side of the car. Checked the seals and all were perfect. Had ford mechanic tell me that the speaker is the problem! Means nothing to me!!?

Also, cab noise from the engine is like driving a transit not a mondeo. Any one know if there is a way of muffling this?

Here is a site i found with some useful tips for mondeo repair/maintainence

http://www.btinternet.com/~madmole/Reference/knownproblems.html

heres another site with problems and solutions...

http://www.bba-reman.com/content.aspx?content=ford_mondeo_common_problems_and_solutions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Dabko

Get a Ford mechanic drive it. He'll know in 200 yards if it's running properly or not.

Having a ford mechanic drive your car for 200 yards would cost you an arm and a kidney!

There was only one ford garage in the entire west of ireland who would give me any advice.

Everyone else gave the usual line: Book it in and we will take a look. Oh, we will charge you 80-100 quid for this unique privilege!

Official ford garages are ridiculous on pricing things!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Plug out the air flow meter electrical connection. See if any major change! Easiest thing to do first anyay.
    If no change.... sensor gone
    if improvement (I doubt there will be).....sensor gone
    if it drives much worst than current,.... sensor ok.

Petrol cars run better with a bad air flow meter plugged out (but with very low mpg) but deisels run poorly without it.

Sensor is located on air intake pipe somewhere near the air filter I would think

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Churchy

I had a 130PS Mondeo for a while.
    The fuel economy from many sources is the same approx 45mpg.

The car should pull very well , if its 2006 is it still under manufacturers warranty? Act quickly he could only have a short time if it is.
    If its a UK import it may have a balance of 3 yr warranty , were many 130's sold in the south?

Still in doubt pm me the chassis number , I'll have a looksie on UK computer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

Normally the 115bhp TDCI gives about 50mpg when driven with a bit of care.

My one dropped to about 45mpg and I had a blocked injector. It also felt heavy on pull off but no problems for overtaking.

It will run on 3 of 4 injectors no problem, like mine, but when 2 block it stops dead in the road. They are not cheap. You will be offered a new one or a re-conditioned one for about half the price. The re-conditioned is just sonicated in water to unblock and I found it an unrelaible solution. They block on the TDCI unit as the outlets are needle point fine and may be due to dirty diesal.

Advertisement