Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom landline installation

Options
  • 28-02-2008 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I was so happy when I had my new Eircom landline installed last Thursday, having waited impatiently for two years and five months!!!
    Yes I applied in September 2005 for a new connection to a new house.
    (Believe it or not I am not complaining about the length of the wait, I 've wasted far too much energy to no avail in the last 2 years on that.)

My happiness quickly turned to anger when I received a bill from Eircom today (certainly no delay in that department)

I have no problem in paying for a service but my issue is that when I applied for the line in Sep 05 I was told that all new connections were free until the period ending end of Sep 05 and that I did not need to send any money. Over the next two years five months, in which I made innumerable calls to Eircom regarding the progress of our line, no-one ever highlighted that we might now be charged for installation - to be honest I had forgotten about the initial order.

Today we received a bill for installation. I contacted Eircom to explain the situation and spoke to very unhelpful representative who informed me that I was mistaken, and that there had NEVER been any such offer by Eircom on new lines. I asked why then hadn't we had to pay upfront and why were we connected if we hadn't paid - he didn't know.

I have been trawling the net trying to find some evidence that this offer did exist and I have found a few posts on this forum in September 05 to that effect. I was wondering if anyone anywhere has any information on this.
    Anyway, if I have to pay - that's fine, I just object to being basically called a liar by Eircom after being treated so appallingly over the last two years, and being expected to pay up in ten days without any forewarning:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Phoneless wrote: »
    I was so happy when I had my new Eircom landline installed last Thursday, having waited impatiently for two years and five months!!!
    Yes I applied in September 2005 for a new connection to a new house.
    (Believe it or not I am not complaining about the length of the wait, I 've wasted far too much energy to no avail in the last 2 years on that.)

My happiness quickly turned to anger when I received a bill from Eircom today (certainly no delay in that department)

I have no problem in paying for a service but my issue is that when I applied for the line in Sep 05 I was told that all new connections were free until the period ending end of Sep 05 and that I did not need to send any money. Over the next two years five months, in which I made innumerable calls to Eircom regarding the progress of our line, no-one ever highlighted that we might now be charged for installation - to be honest I had forgotten about the initial order.

Today we received a bill for installation. I contacted Eircom to explain the situation and spoke to very unhelpful representative who informed me that I was mistaken, and that there had NEVER been any such offer by Eircom on new lines. I asked why then hadn't we had to pay upfront and why were we connected if we hadn't paid - he didn't know.

I have been trawling the net trying to find some evidence that this offer did exist and I have found a few posts on this forum in September 05 to that effect. I was wondering if anyone anywhere has any information on this.
    Anyway, if I have to pay - that's fine, I just object to being basically called a liar by Eircom after being treated so appallingly over the last two years, and being expected to pay up in ten days without any forewarning:mad:

TBH I'm sorry to say it but Eircom (for as long as i remember) have always charged a connection for landline installations if work needs to be carried out by a technician i.e. if its not in situ or precabled.

Full installation €121.93

Pre-Cabled - €49.99 and In Situ €24.99 but free if ordered online or when certain promotions are running.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i worked in 3G in 05 and i'm pretty sure i remember that offer. 3G do eircom landlines by the way. the current offer is that you don't have to pay if all line work is in place, so under the current offer you would have to pay but i don't think you should have had to when you signed up. i can't guarantee anything though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

It's not unknown for Eircom to try to charge for stuff that should be free.

Can't say I ever remember seeing an offer for free connection for new lines requiring line work, but if you can find any details on this should help your case. This might be some help, although I don't know how complete it is, and there's a lot of entries for 2005! Plus you'd want to be sure it was www.eircom.ie then.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Edser

There was a wholesale offer from July 05 to Sept 05.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Phoneless

Thanks to all who replied.

After logging an official complaint with Eircom, their customer care department got back to me stating that; after some investigation with their promotions department, there was in fact an offer of free installation at that time and that the cost of installation will be refunded!!!
    :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement