Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build, No Display!

Options
  • 28-02-2008 11:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭

Hi, We were fitting new parts into a mates pc case there

these are the parts anyway first of all:

Asus P5GC-MX/1333, I945GC(A2),Socket-775 ,LAN, m-ATX, DDR2, VGA, PCI-Ex16
    Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 2.2GHz Socket LGA775, 2MB,
    Corsair TWIN2X 6400C5DHX DDR2, 2048MB Kit w/two CL5 1GB Dimm's, E.P.P and DHX
    Club3D GeForce 8800GT 512MB GDDR3, PCI-Express, Tv Out, Dual DVI
    + a sata hdd

Anyway, we got all the bits in and the pc will turn on (The cpu fan spins, the led lights are on, on the front panel and there's a green light on the mobo) but nothing will appear on the monitor (which works fine) so we tried it with the graphics card taken out, no picture still! we've tried everything we can think of and it just doesn't want to seem to work for us, can anyone suggest anything to help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 spoof

Hi, We were fitting new parts into a mates pc case there

these are the parts anyway first of all:

Asus P5GC-MX/1333, I945GC(A2),Socket-775 ,LAN, m-ATX, DDR2, VGA, PCI-Ex16
    Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 2.2GHz Socket LGA775, 2MB,
    Corsair TWIN2X 6400C5DHX DDR2, 2048MB Kit w/two CL5 1GB Dimm's, E.P.P and DHX
    Club3D GeForce 8800GT 512MB GDDR3, PCI-Express, Tv Out, Dual DVI
    + a sata hdd

Anyway, we got all the bits in and the pc will turn on (The cpu fan spins, the led lights are on, on the front panel and there's a green light on the mobo) but nothing will appear on the monitor (which works fine) so we tried it with the graphics card taken out, no picture still! we've tried everything we can think of and it just doesn't want to seem to work for us, can anyone suggest anything to help?

Try the monitor on an other pc , try another monitor make sure there are no bend connectio pins good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Tried that already! It works fine.... any other suggestions. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

did you connect the small internal speaker to the motherboard?

try removing everything and re-building it. its possible there's a connection loose.

re-seating the cpu and gpu might do it. usually have that problem myself.

I can't find an internal speaker to attach to the mobo, where is it located usually?

it would normally look something like this

speaker.JPG

and it should have come with the motherboard when you bought it.

although ive seen so many people build a pc, and then throw everything else away!

crazy builders. :p

• Advertisement

looked but nope. didnt see anything lying around anywhere. weird
    is there one with every mobo? maybe mine was attached already.:confused:

most mobo's have them.

id say dont worry about the speaker anyway. just strip the pc apart and re-build it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

They should come with every board, I've gotten them with the crappiest, cheapest budget boards going. If you can't get it working, I can post you one on Monday, I have a few of them. Never had to use one.

This is getting really head-wrecking now, I dismantled it completely and rebuilt it (twice) and still the same result! Grrrrrr....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

What power supply you running?

surely someone has a diff graphics card you can try in it..

• Advertisement

They should come with every board, I've gotten them with the crappiest, cheapest budget boards going. If you can't get it working, I can post you one on Monday, I have a few of them. Never had to use one.

That'd be great man if you could do that!

jonny72 wrote: »
    surely someone has a diff graphics card you can try in it..

That's not the issue here man, the graphics card isn't in the pc (trying to get set up without it for now)

Could it be at all possible that ram isn't compatible with the mobo?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

put one stick of ram in. reset the cmos and then restart. ram is always the prob with no display. I had this prob only recently thinking it was the graphics card. so make sure you reset the cmos properly as it seems to be important when switching around the ram.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Drop me a PM and I'll send you one tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,683 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

What's the internal speaker got to do with anything?

Try and assemble the board outside of the box, it could be short on the case somewhere, ONLY connect RAM and CPU, along with the power connections (should be a 24 pin + 4 pin connector), and the power button front panel connector to turn it on.

If that doesn't work, then either the board, cpu or ram is faulty, most likely the board.

Also, that board only supports that CPU since BIOS 0314

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P5GC-MX

which was released in May last year, does the board have a manufacture date on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

astrofool wrote: »
    What's the internal speaker got to do with anything?

If that doesn't work, then either the board, cpu or ram is faulty, most likely the board.

speaker will make bios beeps if the powersupply and MB is okay, then op will instantly know if its cpu, ram or graphics card thats to blame

Maybe I was a bit flippant there, but he's looking for what might fix it, already knowing it's RAM/CPU/Mobo that has a problem, and it's fairly straight forward to do some troubleshooting there, THEN worry about getting a mini speaker when that doesn't work. Sending him searching for one without doing any other troubleshooting is ludicrous.

This board does not have a speaker out on board anyway. You could try connecting speakers to the line out and see if the beeps come through there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,151 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

your case should have a speaker built in, all mine did anyways

your case should have a speaker built in, all mine did anyways

A lot of new cases and boards are leaving the speaker out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,151 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

astrofool wrote: »
    A lot of new cases and boards are leaving the speaker out.

Really? Wow thats really saving them big time, those speakers must cost at least €0.10 !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

All new motherboards ive seen have the small speaker build into the board. Ive never once received a spedker with any motherboard ive bough :(

Astro is right though, forget the speaker for now and test it out of the box to use a process of elimination.

• Advertisement

Really? Wow thats really saving them big time, those speakers must cost at least €0.10 !!

And if you sell 40,000 of them, then thats €4000, which buys the MD a nice LCD Screen :D

More seriously, they're going the way of the dodo now, and the cost of materials is probably more than their value (like CRT's), it's why we see Intel cutting away the PCI and PATA bus when it's not a big cost to keep them.

Hopefully with EFI, troubleshooting will be far easier, it should always boot, and then tell the user on screen where the problem is (or via a diagnostic LCD), and if it doesn't boot at all, then the board is the problem.

I think it must be the mobo..... i'll probably have to send it back to Komplett for a replacement i reckon. Tried the memory in another pc and that's fine anyway so it has to be mobo or less likely the cpu

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Is there a speaker on the motherboard, or some series of LEDs for diagnostics? You should get some beep code and/or light code if you try starting it with no RAM and no graphics card (just CPU and no other peripherals).

Is there a speaker on the motherboard, or some series of LEDs for diagnostics? You should get some beep code and/or light code if you try starting it with no RAM and no graphics card (just CPU and no other peripherals).

yeah the leds work n all but its not telling me anything, it all seems like its working. I tried with no RAM outside of the the case
    aswell n it powered up but no display still. i hate it!!!!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Well you're not going to get a display without RAM, but it should at least give you a beep or LED code telling you that there's no DIMMs. The manual for the motherboard should list the LED fault codes. I think you would get nothing at all if the CPU isn't working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

I'd say it's the mobo. If it was the CPU you'd have no life at all, and you've tested the RAM. Plenty of boards are DOA.

If you connect a HDD can you hear it spin up?

I'd say it's the mobo. If it was the CPU you'd have no life at all, and you've tested the RAM. Plenty of boards are DOA.

If you connect a HDD can you hear it spin up?

Can't hear the HDD but that works in another pc. We got in touch with Komplett anyways and we'll be sending it back to them for testing. Will post back here with updates!

Cheers for the help everyone!! :)

Advertisement