Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow (showers and longer spells) Sunday evening - Tuesday morning, possibly longer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Longfield wrote: »
    Winter 08 - buried under snow!

030308_crapsnow.jpg

Dear god man! Will you be ok up there with all that snow?? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I'm thinking of calling the Rangers to dig me out here, its a perilous state of affairs for sure!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Meanwhile down here we're having hail at the moment...
    2.8c dp is 0.5c

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Almost clear skies here in N.Tipp,temp 1.4C breezy feels bitter cold.

Much as I like to see the snow,I travelled 100kms this morning through fairly heavy snow from Galway in my brand new (rear wheel drive) car...wondering why I didn't pay extra for protected no claims bonus :D

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

im really payin for those 6 inchs of snow back in January, not a flake has fallen here today, only had some drizzely sleet and hail stones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

Off topic, but are we looking at round 2 this time next week?
    http://www.wetterzentrale.de/wz/pics/Recm1681.gif

It's official, March is the new Jan..:cool:

Edit. Hail and snow shower again in a squally wind. 1.7c. Feeling nippy.

Breeze is NW here at the moment.
    I wouldnt be depending on the wind going NE for showers in the East or south east tonight because the minute it does the temp will rise and the dewpoint wil go up to about +2c and it will be rain .
    Except for longfield and artictree of course where there will be much snow due to the height and the inlandness.

Cant see it happening to be honest, I reckon thats it for this spell.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

2 pictures from the few minutes of snow earlier if it had continued it might have just started to cover everything as it was just starting to stick to the grass when it stopped
    DSC_09350001.JPG
    DSC_09370001.JPG

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

We had a good half an hour to 45 minutes of moderate or heavy snow here. Everything was white - in fact there is still some snow on the grass and roofs here.For a while I thought it would be one of those freak events that gives a good amount of snow. The shower itself was not even prolonged. It only stuck around because it was very slow moving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

There has been a lot of showers down here in Kerry all, day, but only the mountains and farther inland had any snow stick. The higher mountains are covered though from about 500 metres up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Pics in the weather forum of the blizzard from today.:D

Has clouded up to my north.The remains of the front that grew off the north coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Overall quite similar to the last event a few weeks ago
    Both setups failed to deliver. What do we learn?

(1)We learn that even if everything is in our favour snow is still an outside bet. (2) We learn that troughs/occlusions on a fax chart are a guess by Met people of the likely place to see frequent showers.By no means a certainty (3) We learn that March is useless for snow/ice as it melts within the hour. (4) We learn to keep up our mouth shut and not make fools of ourselves telling everybody that snow is coming (5)We learn that global warming has made marginal events even more marginal. (6) We learn that even with a gale force wind showers do not penetrate too far inland (7) We learn that Met people look at these forums aswell and seem to jump on the bandwagon. (8) We learn that Gerry Murphy isn't a pessimist, rather a forecaster with a very high accuracy count

Overall a fun day's weather watching but pie in the sky compared to days of ol. As a wise ol man once said "They just don't make em like they used to":)

(1)We learn that even if everything is in our favour snow is still an outside bet. (2) We learn that troughs/occlusions on a fax chart are a guess by Met people of the likely place to see frequent showers.By no means a certainty (3) We learn that March is useless for snow/ice as it melts within the hour. (4) We learn to keep up our mouth shut and not make fools of ourselves telling everybody that snow is coming (5)We learn that global warming has made marginal events even more marginal. (6) We learn that even with a gale force wind showers do not penetrate too far inland (7) We learn that Met people look at these forums aswell and seem to jump on the bandwagon. (8) We learn that Gerry Murphy isn't a pessimist, rather a forecaster with a very high accuracy count

Overall a fun day's weather watching but pie in the sky compared to days of ol. As a wise ol man once said "They just don't make em like they used to":)

excellent post - now lets never mention this again......

So when are we going to hit 20C

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

(9) Also why the weather is the most talked about subject on this island. (10)after guinness

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

blizzard conditions here at the moment:D

blizzard conditions here at the moment:D

You did not have to write anything - all you had to say was ' :p '

JS did you get any snow at all?

What does anyone think about the area of showers coming out of Scotland into the Irish sea? enroute to Dublin:D?
    http://www.sat24.com/frame.php?html=homepage

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

Dunno Trogdor. I think that's going to miss us tbh and I'd say it'll be pretty weak when it gets here, though hopefuly the trek down the Irish sea might build it up but I can really just see it breaking upa nd fizzling out.

hmmmm thats interesting.....Irish met expects quite widespread precip over the next 3 hours

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/3hour.asp

:confused:

Im not sure, maybe its that band of more organised showers across the North atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

darkman2 wrote: »
    You did not have to write anything - all you had to say was ' :p '

JS did you get any snow at all?

Yes 3 flakes in the wind:D

Those three hour charts are rarely accurate in marginal situations imho.
    Rapidly rising pressure and northerly winds do not equal snow in the east.
    Shows over unless you live in the north or west.

We learn that Gerry Murphy isn't a pessimist, rather a forecaster with a very high accuracy count

Are you drunk?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

Nice wolf.....
    well my little wolf enjoyed todays adventure , sun/snow/thunder/hail/gales/sleet sometimes all at the same time , was'nt expecting very much here and it was very shortlived , unusually i've had 5 mornings with snowcover this winter :D/ a sprinkling of frosty nights / several thunderstorms / a few windstorms / and a couple of summer days in feb :D:D, not great but not a boring winter , but a few warm spring days would be nice now:D:D:D.

edit : just as i finish this ...........more hailstones...........:mad:

Heavy squally snow shower just passed with hail initially. A decent covering but melting now again. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

OK - I'm just back from Wexford and see circa 400 posts. Did I miss anything here (Longfield??). There was very little precip down at courttown. The front gate seems to be covered in either:

A) frozen rain
    B) rain that fell and then froze
    C) snow that fell, melted and then re-froze

0.5c here ATM and clear skies...

A

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

There has been a lot of showers down here in Kerry all, day, but only the mountains and farther inland had any snow stick. The higher mountains are covered though from about 500 metres up though.

do you mind me asking what's ur loc in kerry.....

kerry1960 wrote: »
    do you mind me asking what's ur loc in kerry.....

On the beach by the sounds of it. How there was little snow down there I dont know. You had some of the heaviest showers mixed with the coldest air.

I think the Northwest done best out of this. Looks like Sligo is in for another whiteout soon:rolleyes:

I think the Northwest done best out of this. Looks like Sligo is in for another whiteout soon:rolleyes:

Them showers building in Donegal Bay look might they head down this way too. God knows I deserve just a little slice of this small snow cake.

Man.

• Advertisement

arctictree wrote: »
    OK - I'm just back from Wexford and see circa 400 posts. Did I miss anything here (Longfield??). There was very little precip down at courttown. The front gate seems to be covered in either:

A) frozen rain
    B) rain that fell and then froze
    C) snow that fell, melted and then re-froze

0.5c here ATM and clear skies...

A

There was a report earlier on the radio from someone in Roundwood who said it was snowing heavily and sticking

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement