Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow (showers and longer spells) Sunday evening - Tuesday morning, possibly longer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

arctictree wrote: »
    OK - I'm just back from Wexford and see circa 400 posts. Did I miss anything here (Longfield??). There was very little precip down at courttown. The front gate seems to be covered in either:

A) frozen rain
    B) rain that fell and then froze
    C) snow that fell, melted and then re-froze

0.5c here ATM and clear skies...

A

Didn't miss much arctictree. Was some snow here around midday here - was looking at it on my webcam from work :)
    Then there was a light snow shower this evening that delivered a whopping 0.2mm precip here but settled for a bit, was much heavier in Dublin, I think Snowbie recorded over 2mm in just that shower.
    The mountains should have some coverage left tomorrow morning and theres probably black ice everywhere on the roads by now!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

That was an interesting day to say the least. The showers skirted south of here in a westerly flow between 6am and 8.30am. Nothing here really, but 10 miles SW of here there was a nice covering. The snow did arrive around 10am and fell until near 12pm. Gave a good inch covering, but was thawed and gone by 2pm. Sleet at 4pm and nothing since. High of the day was 5.4c with a 0.1c low in the 11am shower. Currently 0.7c and rather clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

darkman2 wrote: »
    On the beach by the sounds of it. How there was little snow down there I dont know. You had some of the heaviest showers mixed with the coldest air.

yep , had plenty showers right enough , but they mostly fell in daytime , the early feb event started off at night so more time to settle .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Longfield wrote: »
    was much heavier in Dublin, I think Snowbie recorded over 2mm in just that shower.
    3mm from snow melt so far but i think the rest is frozen in the bucket. Snow still on the wind side of the rain gauge too, frozed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Longfield wrote: »
    Didn't miss much arctictree. Was some snow here around midday here - was looking at it on my webcam from work :)
    Then there was a light snow shower this evening that delivered a whopping 0.2mm precip here but settled for a bit, was much heavier in Dublin, I think Snowbie recorded over 2mm in just that shower.
    The mountains should have some coverage left tomorrow morning and theres probably black ice everywhere on the roads by now!

Thats a relief!! Well hopefully we'll get something off the sea later. It was mentioned on the 9:30 RTE weather...

A

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Tonights 18z is actually very good for wintry prospects in the next week with very cold air again coming down from the Northwest and lots of heavy showers - in fact its uncanningly similar to the setup we have just had;)

Quite windy down here now from the NW still at 20mph.
    Decent dewpoint at last at -1.2c with the air at 2.2c.

artictree Gerry Fleming was referring to the showers in the west making their way over to the East tonight and not Irish sea showers.
    That being the case,he's not expecting an easterly tonight and also what comes over will be very weak indeed by the time it gets here tbh unfortunately.

Tonights 18z is actually very good for wintry prospects in the next week with very cold air again coming down from the Northwest and lots of heavy showers - in fact its uncanningly similar to the setup we have just had;)
    In other words what you are saying is, we should get onto the ebookers website or trailfinders right now to book a last minute holiday for next week somewhere because we're going to have another hit an miss inch here nothing there wet sleety mess again ?
    I'd rather some warmth now tbh if thats alls thats on offer.

In other words what you are saying is, we should get onto the ebookers website or trailfinders right now to book a last minute holiday for next week somewhere because we're going to have another hit an miss inch here nothing there wet sleety mess again ?
    I'd rather some warmth now tbh if thats alls thats on offer.

lol

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn1381.png

Looks pretty good to me and temps very low too. Its only one run but its very cold 120hrs onward. Not exactly a distant timeframe. Its almost identical to the current setup.

See what comes out of the models tomorrow but its interesting..

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Quite windy down here now from the NW still at 20mph.
    Decent dewpoint at last at -1.2c with the air at 2.2c.

artictree Gerry Fleming was referring to the showers in the west making their way over to the East tonight and not Irish sea showers.
    That being the case,he's not expecting an easterly tonight and also what comes over will be very weak indeed by the time it gets here tbh unfortunately.

When I saw it I presumed the same as Arctictree but watching it again online I see you are right. How does he expect the showers in the West to make it to the East in a straight Northerly though?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

It's a pity there's nothing else coming through so far. Have a temp here of 1.3 and a dp of -1.2 so it's promising, and the temp is dropping quicker than it did last night. It was after 1AM before the tem even dipped to 1.5 and the dp was just short of -1 so I'm hoping for a dusting from a rogue shower later but it's so marginal I won't be stayng up.

trogdor wrote: »
    When I saw it I presumed the same as Arctictree but watching it again online I see you are right. How does he expect the showers in the West to make it to the East in a straight Northerly though?
    I'd imagine,he expects them to drift south eastwards in the general direction that the low took.
    Ergo they will drift east whilst circulating at the same time.

I wouldnt be betting houses on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I'd imagine,he expects them to drift south eastwards in the general direction that the low took.
    Ergo they will drift east whilst circulating at the same time.

I wouldnt be betting houses on it.

Me neither, with pressure of 1016.7 and rising fast, there's only one thing going to happen to any shower activity, never mind the long land track.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 191 ✭✭DOS

Oooh big shower coming over the Slieve Blooms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

Quite a violent and prolonged shower going on now. Best of the day. Worth waiting for after today's crap event. Well all eyes on next sun/mon. might be better this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Well my computer is playing up!

So i can't get the pictures up! There alright really, it really was epic stuff for around 30 minutes, really heavy stuff, sure there was 1 inch in around 20 minutes of snow!!:D

Still some patchy stuff around the cars and grass and roofs.

I hope my snowman survives the night! I'll show you my 30 minutes of glory later!

I actually ate some snow in my madness, more hyper than a kid on Christmas morning:D

I hope we get another sprinkle tonight!

lol

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn1381.png

Looks pretty good to me and temps very low too. Its only one run but its very cold 120hrs onward. Not exactly a distant timeframe. Its almost identical to the current setup.

See what comes out of the models tomorrow but its interesting..
    I'd say bring it on. March was always a good month for snow in the last decade.Sometimes it stuck, sometimes it didnt. The anticipation of it all, will it or wont it and the emotion is priceless.
    Today for example our snow shower here, look at the way it stalled, built up and then eventually moved southeast, us knowing that it will produce snow half way through.

Its another 10 months at the earliest untill we see another possible situation so we have to make do with what we get(nowadays).I hope next week is even more snowier and exciting than todays.
    Plenty of time for warmth,@ Black Briar, your only back from Spain:D

I tell you something, it beats stratus muck any day and when the weather is lifeless.
    Then in Summer, lets hope its better than last year, but then i be looking for the storms.

Disclaimer: this is from a weather enthusiast's point of view.Weather can be dangerous destroy livelyhoods or property but also can be exciting at the same time.If i offended anyone, Sorry.

Them showers coming in from the NNW seem to be holding it together overland. :) 0.3c here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Heavy snow falling now that is starting to stick on the ground! i was not expecting this. it'll probably melt within an hour but it's nice to see it stick- albeit temporarily!!

• Advertisement

Snowbie wrote: »

I tell you something, it beats stratus muck any day and when the weather is lifeless.

Quote of the day.;) Never understood why some would rather eternal high pressure and tedious day in day out rubbish weather wise. It's nice to get some fine dry weather, but after 2 or 3 days, zzzzz.
    I think you should move west snowbie if you want more to experience more lively weather. We can have our moments this side.

Heavy snow falling now that is starting to stick on the ground! i was not expecting this. it'll probably melt within an hour but it's nice to see it stick- albeit temporarily!!
    They seem to be developing in Donegal Bay, so you certainly in the favoured spot tonight. Pretty impressive shower activity here to with a howling wind.

and here's someone else who enjoyed todays wintery mix.:Dimage006mv0.jpg

Paddy.1 wrote: »
    Quote of the day.;) Never understood why some would rather eternal high pressure and tedious day in day out rubbish weather wise. It's nice to get some fine dry weather, but after 2 or 3 days, zzzzz.
    I think you should move west snowbie if you want more to experience more lively weather. We can have our moments this side.
    I was thinking of Cavan one day maybe sometime soon. I would like to get some lake effect snow there:p

I stayed in the Galway bay hotel salthill a few years back in some windstorm. The bay was coming over the pier wall and was ferocious.Naturally i was standing out in it windswept and all.Some weather out there alright.

Laois is best for the weather! The "continental" effect is felt most here! :p

A flurry here too.There are a few showers up north and a rouge one might get down here.

Overcast and temp holding at 1.7c dp at -0.2c

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

today was a total non-event at my location, I didnt even get to see a single flake of snow all day! anyway roll-on summer 2008 and hopefully I'll see snow again in winter 08/09

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

My temp seems to be rising at the mo. I'm testing the VP2 out before I get it put up so there could be something funny going on with where it's placed in the middle fo the gardne right now but I thought it was odd. Gone up 0.5 C since about 11:45 or so. Now the wind has picked up a bit as well but it was dropping progressively all evening before that.

squonk wrote: »
    My temp seems to be rising at the mo. I'm testing the VP2 out before I get it put up so there could be something funny going on with where it's placed in the middle fo the gardne right now but I thought it was odd. Gone up 0.5 C since about 11:45 or so. Now the wind has picked up a bit as well but it was dropping progressively all evening before that.
    There is probably no problem there.My temp has gone up 0.4c in the last half hour too.Wind and cloud does have an impact on temp also.

• Advertisement

Id imagine the rise in temperature has got more to do with the upper temperatures going above the crucial -5C

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn122.png

This means precipitation should be rain from now on. In fact no where is reporting snow now - not even Knock which has rain.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement