Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snow (showers and longer spells) Sunday evening - Tuesday morning, possibly longer

1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

darkman2 wrote: »
    Id imagine the rise in temperature has got more to do with the upper temperatures going above the crucial -5C

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn122.png

This means precipitation should be rain from now on. In fact no where is reporting snow now - not even Knock which has rain.
    True and also that, kinda lost track of the charts and 850's today.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

I think that pretty much marks the end of this cold snap. Im pretty opimistic for the next week though and its certainly worth keeping an eye on. Hopefully be starting a similar thread come Friday!:D;)

I think that pretty much marks the end of this cold snap. Im pretty opimistic for the next week though and its certainly worth keeping an eye on. Hopefully be starting a similar thread come Friday!:D;)
    Aye, go for it. BTW its snowing lightly here and settling:D

Nothing but rain here.

That shower was a northerly feed from Louth.
    Tis defo of snow lampost confirms that and also standin in the back yard.

• Advertisement

Snowbie wrote: »
    That shower was a northerly feed from Louth.
    Tis defo of snow lampost confirms that and also standin in the back yard.

Im not saying I dont believe you but its only rain here - not even sleet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,673 ✭✭✭squonk

I got light drizzle out of that - so light it hasn't bothered the rain collector which is still reading 0 but I poked my head out the window earlier and you could catch the odd frop or so. Temp is up to 2.6 now and the DP is a positive .7 so I think I can rest easy for tonight.

Actually I just had a peek out and it looks like the northern edge of that shower has just passed off now. Can see stars again in the southern sky with the cloud just below it.

Im not saying I dont believe you but its only rain here - not even sleet.
    Yep just a slight dusting dm on top of the other stuff i got. Has stopped now.Maybe my inland location helped.
    Temp went down to 2.5c with dp -0.1c
    Now its 2.9c and dp at 1.3c when it had stopped.

1020 hPa, 3.3c and a DP of 1degC. They think it's all over; it is now :(

• Advertisement

Repeat performance for the west,unless that LP west of Iceland travels down in the flow to affect here(east)

Yeah, that's too westerly. Will benefit Donegal, Mayo and all the other usual suspects a bit further inland! After the last few days, I'm not really holding out any hope at this stage for anyting coming from the west. I'm looking forward to the low temps though. A crisp, cool and sunny day on Sunday would make for a really nice walk on the beach!

Things certainly looking interesting for the end of the week and the start of next week. I think there will be wintry showers of anything really by the weekend and there is chance - just a small chance that something more significant might not be too far off

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rukm1441.gif

ECM 120hrs
    http://www.meteociel.com/modeles/ecmwf/run/ECM1-120.GIF?04-0

Wintry showers

but then.....

http://www.meteociel.com/modeles/ecmwf/run/ECM1-144.GIF?04-0 144hrs

So an interesting period looking at the possibilities over the next few days.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,932 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Gonzo wrote: »
    today was a total non-event at my location, I didnt even get to see a single flake of snow all day! anyway roll-on summer 2008 and hopefully I'll see snow again in winter 08/09

roll on next weekend:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,480 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Bah, these westerly snaps are not good for my health.

Humbug!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

Longfield wrote: »
    Bah, these westerly snaps are not good for my health.

Humbug!

Move to Galway, it's far more interesting. (weatherwise):o

Edit: haven't a clue where you live, but sounds like you are SE?

I think Paddy1,where longfield currently lives,he's seen more snow than most on this forum in recent years since he's moved there.His standards have gone too high thats all :p (level snow a foot deep on croghan mt 4 miles from here in that spell last year above 1500ft-it's handy because with a quad or a good 4wd you can drive to that height with proper traction tyres-we got stuck though last year at about the 1500ft and had to walk-the drifts were waist deep)

As for next week,if it's what I saw through web cams throughout the west like the day before yesterday,forgive me for not getting excited :)

(No disrespect to the west,I probably spend more time in Galway and mayo than any other county other than my own and love it there :))

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

unfortunately i fail to get excited by westerly/notherlys myself as well as they are usually non-events this area. An easterly however gets me much, much more excited:)

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn13217.png

Max temps for Monday and plenty of precipitation - very windy also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

As for next week,if it's what I saw through web cams throughout the west like the day before yesterday,forgive me for not getting excited :)

(No disrespect to the west,I probably spend more time in Galway and mayo than any other county other than my own and love it there :))

I agree totally, I knew it would be a pitiful event from the start. That is why there was a little irony in my "Galway is best" statement;)
    3 major let downs for (westerly) snow this winter has made me bitter. However, the west can still be a great place to witness dramatic weather changes though if you're into that kind of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,932 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Paddy.1 wrote: »
    I agree totally, I knew it would be a pitiful event from the start. That is why there was a little irony in my "Galway is best" statement;)
    3 major let downs for (westerly) snow this winter has made me bitter. However, the west can still be a great place to witness dramatic weather changes though if you're into that kind of thing.

Indeed. Especially for people who live near the Altantic ocean. It is very interesting to watch the weather change out at sea as a weather system slowly approaches the coastline. The most interesting thing i've witnessed is flashes of intense fork lightning about a half a mile out to sea off Achill Island. It was a spectacular sight but i was a bit apprehensive of it coming on shore because i was stuck half way up a mountain at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,480 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Just read through that post again Black Briar, thanks for linking to it.
    Really brought a smile to my face remembering the excitement of last year, hopefully we will get to see the like of it again in the next few years.

I really am a total snow nut, I was thinking in the car coming home this evening that its probably another 10 months to the next decent chance for snow here and that depressed me a little!

I'm semi considering a Nordic Mike from TWO if we get another winter like this one just gone (except I'd try going to Aviemore or somewhere like that).

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Darwin

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn13217.png

Max temps for Monday and plenty of precipitation - very windy also.

Yes, really monster winds being forecast at the moment for Monday afternoon especially on coastal areas, though the severity and timing will proabably change between now and then. Still, this forecast stormy event probably deserves its own thread.

Longfield wrote: »

I really am a total snow nut, I was thinking in the car coming home this evening that its probably another 10 months to the next decent chance for snow here and that depressed me a little!

Actually we are close now to a potentially disruptive wind and snow event on Monday. Still a little far out to be specific but watch this space;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭forkassed

Just spotted this animator-ma-jig on wetterzentrale- not bad if you hadnt already known about it!

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/ani/gfs/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Could be something wintry tonight
    becoming strong again overnight with blustery showers spreading from the Atlantic. Some of the showers thundery and possibly wintry in places.

Ensemble mean

http://91.121.94.83/modeles/gens/run/gens-21-1-300.png

Things starting to look tasty toward mid march?;)

Right i think this thread has ran its course.

Feel free to start a thread as you wish on a seperate topic.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement