Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow (showers and longer spells) Sunday evening - Tuesday morning, possibly longer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

What an absolute disaster for here.

The trough intensified in the south and just died over its northern section

JS looks like your gonna see some heavy snow, as is much of the country apart from poor old Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

The sneachta is pegging it down here now :D, not sticking......yet!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Yea WC gone a bit t**ts up here - nothing new there - the best I can report is some sleety rainy stuff here at the moment at the northern end of that trough :mad: Current temp +5.2c

Basically at this stage I don't really want to see anything until nightfall unless your into just wet!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

sleet here in roscommon and anyting that fell has long since melted. meh!

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Yea WC gone a bit t**ts up here - the best I can report is some sleety rainy stuff here at the moment at the northern end of that trough :mad: Current temp +5.2c

As usual really....

The sky looked threatening there for a while, but its just dying covection.

Can't really expect more than sleet from the very light precip, you need a decent shower to get the temp going down, put it this way its not going to rain heavily today but there may be some light rain/sleet, still doesnt mean it will not snow.

• Advertisement

Completely clouded over here.
    Looks like precipitation is imminent!

Temp and dp are marginal though

Unforunately i don't know what the weathers doing here as im in a dungeon in trinity!

Might pop out soon as s

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Just drove from Roscrea to Portlaoise - very heavy snow.
    Poor visibility,roads were becoming very dodgy in spots even with the traffic.

Has stopped now

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Unforunately i don't know what the weathers doing here as im in a dungeon in trinity!

Might pop out soon as s

Don't waste your energy! :D

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Don't waste your energy! :D

Yea.. already skipped me a lecture for no reason! I just couldnt bear to miss spend 50 minutes without knowing if its snowing or not!!

Well the outlook would seem to suggest continued widespread snow showers through the day, become more and more frequent and widespread towards evening, then clearing east around 10pm with showers then moving back on to the eastern coast from midnight.

I have a feeling that thats when we probably will have our biggest chance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Filled in here now - I await with bated breath.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭mikep

Hmmmm

Some people here may have to revise their predictions/opinions on wether or not snow will happen...

It's been snowing here in Thurles on and off all morning....there was about an inch of snow on my car at 6.50 am..

here is (an admittedly dodgy) pic...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

woke up to an inch of lying snow this morning but it quickly melted during the course of the morning. according to the bbc weather last night this is a polar low. So, i got my wish for a polar low this winter.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Nothing here. All precip is starting to move south on radar so i have to look north where there is nothing:rolleyes: as usual.

Snowing moderately here for the last 10 mins and gone dark.
    Flakes are blowing in a strong WSW wind gusting to 34mph

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

I'm probably going to get shot down now but the reason I gave up on snow for us in Dublin last night was because the temperature at my location was falling too slowly and there wasn't enough precipitaion hitting the east at that stage (around 1 AM). I think the sun is too strong this time of the year to allow us to get a decent snow covering during the daytime, maybe if you're in the west where it's far more cloudy with those heavy showers, you're gong to do well, as you guys over there are.

I think there's a better chance of showers dying out after the sun goes down more than anything else so I think overall, it'll be a big fat nothing for us over here.

A snow shower isn't much good if it doesn't stick I always think so that's what I'm looking for, and I won't get it I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭mikep

Heavy snow in Thurles again

Well that didnt last long :rolleyes:

Brightening up now and the temp is rising as is the dp.

heavy snow now but not a chance of it sticking. i suspect that is not the case on high ground further to the west and north of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

Snowbie wrote: »
    Nothing here. All precip is starting to move south on radar so i have to look north where there is nothing:rolleyes: as usual.

Could be a different story once the low gets to the east of you. Not much happening here, showers are light and infrequent. The whole sky is black, but its a squeaky bark that worse than its bite. Temp now 3.0c, getting out of snow territory.

Looking forward to some good old fashioned cold rain. :)

Edit. and sure enough, rain just arrived...

Feb event all over again.

• Advertisement

Seems like the precip is gathering again as the LP moves to the south east. Will that line of showers over Meath survive and hit here?

Temp is 5.5C here so it would start off as rain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Would not rule out showers in Dublin this afternoon but inland convection has not kicked in yet - as little as we can expect this time of year.

Snowbie I dont think the temp being 6C will prevent snow from falling because the temp will drop quickly in any showers. I agree it will probrably start as rain or hail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Cloud passed over with nothing more than damp concrete to show for it. Sunny again

Mike.

Paddy.1 wrote: »
    Could be a different story once the low gets to the east of you. Not much happening here, showers are light and infrequent. The whole sky is black, but its a squeaky bark that worse than its bite. Temp now 3.0c, getting out of snow territory.

Looking forward to some good old fashioned cold rain. :)

Edit. and sure enough, rain just arrived...

Feb event all over again.

Paddy you are on a windward coast and therefore rain is always a probability in these situations at times.

darkman2 wrote: »

Snowbie I dont think the temp being 6C will prevent snow from falling because the temp will drop quickly in any showers. I agree it will probrably start as rain or hail.
    Thats what we need Dm is showers to drop temp, although there is one not far from here now we shall see how much the temp is dragged down. Snow will occur in the back end of any shower as the surface temp and now dp are unfavourable atm.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Sunny here all day so far, I dont think this will amount to anything for us in the east as usuall. If we do get any flakes in the wind today they certainly wont stick, its much to bright and not even cold enough for lying snow. Northerlys and Westerlys are generally useless for us, we need easterlys. Today is just an annoyance, Its March and in my mind were past proper winter now, I want the Summer to start shaping itself from now and no more cold plunges till next winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

darkman2 wrote: »
    Paddy you are on a windward coast and therefore rain is always a probability in these situations at times.

I am 30 miles inland.. I seen more snow in Galway City (which is on a windward coast) last year than this. However, I accept its March, the best we can hope for I suppose.
    Sunny and wet here now, a typical sort of day. Temp rising massively. 4.1c now.

light snow now with the sun breaking through. the showers last about 10 minutes here, i thought they would be more prolonged given we have a polar low, or the remnants of one, passing through the country.

Most of the web cams,I've looked at out west arent very promising.
    Claremorris has a bit of snow on the tiles but looks wet.

http://www.irishtrivia.com/clarecam.htm

Killarney has the very slightest of cover on the mountains but looks very wet

http://www.lakehotel.com/Kerry_webcam.htm

And Ballinasloe which in fairness is well inland just looks wet!

http://www.ballinasloe.com/webcam/webcam.php

Here I've got 3.6c and a dp of 0.8c in the now sunshine which is very borderline.

Rosslare is at 7c ie t-shirt territory

Admittedly,the temp in the snow shower here this morning dropped 2c but really it was barely enough.
    Another half a degree and I'd have had rain.

I wouldnt be waiting for the wind to turn NE either as the dp's and air temps out in the Irish sea are worse-so much so that coastal showers in wales are coming down as rain.

• Advertisement

Yes it is probrably just the wrong side of marginal now but get a heavy shower and it should fall as snow toward the back. If its lying snow your looking for - forget about it.

Some merging of showers overland now to the west.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement