Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow (showers and longer spells) Sunday evening - Tuesday morning, possibly longer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

There still fading as they move eastwards though. Convection aint happening. I have a 5.8c now and dp 0.8c

Its clouded up a bit now and wind gusting in a shower just moving to my south.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

I'm about 30 miles from O'Connell St, we had about 2cm of snow lying after the shower at 9AM this morning, it was proper snow, nice and dry and stuck well, the second shower we had was much more sleety and when the sun came out afterwards almost everything melted in the space of half an hour.

I've six greyhound pups in a pen at the back of the house, they had a fantastic time for a couple of hours this morning.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

Most of the web cams,I've looked at out west arent very promising.
    Claremorris has a bit of snow on the tiles but looks wet.

I live just a few miles ESE of Claremorris, and can confirm that 99.9% of all lying snow is gone. Sky still dark here but not doing anything apart an occassional light shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

the snow is gone- just getting sleet and rain now. still looking on the positive side...there still is a nice bit of snow on the grass.

Snowbie wrote: »
    There still fading as they move eastwards though. Convection aint happening. I have a 5.8c now and dp 0.8c

Its clouded up a bit now and wind gusting in a shower just moving to my south.
    Yup shows over except for those on high ground and increasingly higher at that.
    4.6c here with a dp of 0.8c.
    Even with a 2c drop in a shower that would bring us sleet at best here with the snow confined to above 600ft and probably only sticking above 800ft.

As I said earlier thats going to get worse not better if you get an Irish sea feed as the true cold isn't really out there.

• Advertisement

Interesting convection going on off the north coast:
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

Wind shear is developing up there. The wind is straight northerly to the north of that line. (destined for Lensiter?) Could be one to watch for as low passes over and drags down cooler air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 kudos delirium

As of 2pm, 2.5 to 3 inches of snow lying my garden walls here in Sligo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭forkassed

Paddy.1 wrote: »

Wind shear is developing up there. The wind is straight northerly to the north of that line. (destined for Lensiter?) Could be one to watch for as low passes over and drags down cooler air.

Hopefully it makes it down relatively intact.
    Temps should begin to drop away for the evening soon aswell.

Heres hoping!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Paddy.1 wrote: »

Hmmm, I'm going to do a site survey in North Inishowen at 4.00pm. Might be chilly there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Still snowing here, but I am pretty much on the snowline. 100ft below is very soggy. Temps are fine, about 2c.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Has turned into a nice sunny day here in the centre of Dublin; the only thing wintry is the wind! Although there are dark banks of cloud out to the north and the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Yup shows over except for those on high ground and increasingly higher at that.
    4.6c here with a dp of 0.8c.
    Even with a 2c drop in a shower that would bring us sleet at best here with the snow confined to above 600ft and probably only sticking above 800ft.

it's snowing - albeit wet snow- here again.

Well from an imby point of view, this has turned out to be a farce of an event, as I suspected. It is actually worse than the early feb event, at least then the temps didn't get above 3.0c. Its 5.3c now and rising. Sun splitting the rocks, offset by a filthy wet sky.

I for one am now shaking off the weight of this non-winter. Take my advice people, bin it, flush it down the jacks. And lets start afresh. Heres to winter 08/09 (with hopefully some sort of summer inbetween:) )

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

Yeah, that's right Paddy. I'm starting to think about cutting the lawn and all that now... and digging out the flower beds!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

That band of snow to the north could get interesting for us

Weather warning for NI just issued

Snow, sometimes heavy, will push southwards across most parts during the rest of this afternoon and into the first part of this evening. Snow accumulations of 2 to 5 cms are forecast, with up to 10 cms possible in places. However, northern coasts are likely to see rain and sleet rather than snow. The snow should clear southwards during this evening, but icy conditions are then likely to persist. The public are advised to take extra care and refer to Traffic Watch (NI) for further advice on road conditions.

Issued at: 1457 Mon 3 Mar

You mean this band DM, looks intersting dont it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

light dusting early this morning/overnight

however, at around 10.30 massive blizzard conditions in Roscrea area. snow cleared rapidly from streets afterwards, now clear and blight.

at 1430 massive hail storm in Nenagh, since cleared, now overcast.

cold.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

darkman2 wrote: »
    That band of snow to the north could get interesting for us

What's the bets that it splits and dies over Louth/Meath - heads into Kildare and the Irish Sea missing Dublin altogether. All that will bring is hours wasted looking at the radar, heathache and then tears!

Although I really hope not!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Snowbie wrote: »
    You mean this band DM, looks intersting dont it.:)

Even better - if it does get here it won't be until late on this evening when temps have had a chance to drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

Me too Docarch! I'd be happy to eat my words from earlier rubbishing this cold snap! Timewise, it looks to be showig up at a good time for Dublin as it's only hitting the edge of ME's radar just now. I'm afraid it will break in two and fizzle out myself however before it hits even me. Good evening to live in NI and the Louth/Cavan area I'd say!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

DOCARCH wrote: »
    What's the bets that it splits and dies over Louth/Meath - heads into Kildare and the Irish Sea missing Dublin altogether. All that will bring is hours wasted looking at the radar, heathache and then tears!

Although I really hope not!

Yea pretty disappointing day, havent seen a flake, considering so much precip was forecast and is actually around.

That band could probed interesting.

Best prospect shifts onto east coast and then rebeefs and pushes back onto coast and the low moves into England!!

Now that'd be nice:D

Weather warning now for Wales related to the same band for this evening. Ive my doubts that it will make it remotely intact this far south. Snow at Malin Head now btw.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

It's a pity that low (very weak - and which appears to be over Knock atm) dosn't wind itself up a little? Any sign of that happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

By the way in case ye all think js is wallowing in snow he's not
    It's raining here:mad:

Our centre of circulation is right over Paddy's head in Galway.Further east and we would have more instability from it and showers.

Now the band of showers to the north (trough) looks better organised into a small front.Play the loop below, as you can see it will pass over the eastern side of the country, maybe some small precip from this if it stays intact or else it could ignite from outflow from the circulation which is how it was formed offshore, but over land????? I would still go with a fizzle out but you never know.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/satpics/latest_uk_vis.html

lol - not even sleet? The showers will turn wintry again in your location this evening I reckon;)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

the best i can muster for my loc ,windfarm pic @2.30pm followed by thunder/hail , prob would have been more snow in the morning http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/5664/dsc01485dp2.jpg

Something weird is going on. Dead calm here, with sudden out of nowhere gusts from any direction and hail then it just stops again. Could this indicate instability before that developing trough? if so, it could sustain as it moves overland.

Edit, just started snowing. Dead calm still.

Edit Edit: rain again. Hmmm..

kerry1960 wrote: »
    the best i can muster for my loc ,windfarm pic @2.30pm followed by thunder/hail , prob would have been more snow in the morning http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/5664/dsc01485dp2.jpg

Nice wolf.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Looks like as the showers hit the irish sea there are rejuvenating.

Showers forming to my east with big anvils, pity there heading into Wales:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement