Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my new ram aint workin :(

Options
  • 29-02-2008 3:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

arggghhh stupid laptop deleted my last typed up topic!! how frustrating

anyways ill start again,

hey...i just bought new ram for my desktop pc and, well as the topic states it aint workin for some reason

i ordered new ddr 266mhz 2x 1gb sticks of ram off ebay and got them this morning.
    i went to plug them in and when the windows welcome screen (loading windows xp) was loading...well it doesnt load, i left it for 2 hours and when i came back it was still loading.

i started again in safe mode and it loaded fine but very slow. the graphics where all set to the worst settings and unchangeable, and the processing was horribly slow, the symptoms of a typical infected pc kinda thing goin on.

so i took out 1 stick of 1gb and and the same problem happened.
    then i put the stock ram of 256mb that it came with in with a 1gb and it wouldnt even show anything at all. not even msdos

i put the stock 256mb ram in and everything was back to normal, windows loaded fine at the start screen thankfully.

i have an emachines desktop 420 around the 2003/04 mark windows xp. i done some research before i bought anything and apperntly from different websites like crucial and memoryten my motherboard ram 184pin slots are upgradeable up to 2gb ram otherwise i wuda got more.

i also ordered 2gb 400mhz from ebay accidently but after taking out the stock ram (256mb) i assumed my computer was pc2100 (also predicted by the websites) and also assumed it takes 266mhz cos thats what it said on it. so thats what i ordered this time round but im having the same problem.

is there something im doing wrong or is there something i dont know about??

can anyone give help or advice? :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

If you have your motherboard manual, or know your mobo model and can google it, youll find what the max speed of ram your mobo supports. Make sure its not too fast for your mobo. Also how many DIMM slots doyou have, 2 or 4? If its 4 slots, make sure the ram is paired properly, i.e. 1st stick in the first slot, 2nd stick in the 3rd slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭hexagramer

thanks man,

yeah i looked that up and the mobo can take 2gb ram. max

i have 2 dimm slots and i put them both in and its still acting stupid,

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭hexagramer

nobody?

Advertisement