Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a rat?

Options
  • 29-02-2008 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I've had the urge to get a pet rat. I've heard they're great animals to keep and can be really responsive and intelligent.

What I want know from other rat-keepers are the practicalities. I work full time, so I guess I would need two for company? I would idealy only want one - i'd find one loose rat easier to manage than 2. I'm also concerned with 'rat-proofing' my house - are they going to make a hole in the back of my sofa and live there, chewing my tv cable for food? What if I can't find them again? :eek:

I What size cage would be required, and how much time one-on-one 'rat-time' do they need? What would you recommend for a first time rat owner?

I've had a read of a few online rat-guides but I'd love to hear from ye first hand before I make a decision.

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

They are great pets and you are right, you need to get a pair to keep each other company. They still need plenty of handling - I let mine out for a couple of hours each evening and they sit on my shoulders while I study or on my lap watching telly. The best info can be had from ratfanclub.org and they show the best cage sizes - a pair of rats need a cubic metre minimum in my opinion with lots of room for climbing and nest-building.

Pet rats can dig in houseplants and they are inclined to explore everywhere but I haven't had mine chew anything they shouldn't.

Buy from a reputable supplier, watch the rats being handled before you buy and be certain that you are getting a hand-tame rat before you bring it home. I have seen petshops selling untamed rats and they are only going to be nervous and difficult to handle over a longer period. Most rats can be tamed to the point of coming when they are called. Mine don't stray too far from me when they are out.

If you have had any other small pet, a rat will be no problem for you.

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

I recently got 3 bucks myself. I found some great advice on http://www.fancy-rats.co.uk/community

1. Buy from a breeder, not from a pet shop, as pet shops promote rodent farms, which are very cruel to the rats. Also a pet shop rat may not have been handled and so will not be used to people.

2. Never keep one rat alone, as they are intelligent, sociable animals and they need the company of their own species.

3. Be prepared to give them at least an hour of "out time" or free ranging time every night. You'll need to make sure there are no cables or other dangrous things in the room that they might chew.

4. They need a healthy and varied diet.

5. Their habitat will need to be "enriched" by changing it around, adding things for them to do. For example I got a cardboard box, cut a hole in the top and on the side at the bottom, filled it with scrunched up newspaper an cheerios and put it in the cage. They had alot of fun searching through it!

6. You'll need to be prepared to bring them to the vet if they sustain a serious injury. Rats are also prone to respiratory problems, so there are certain types of bedding which shouldn't be used. (basically anything duty like wood shavings)

As a newbie rat owner myself I'd definately say yes to getting rats, they make excellent and rewarding pets, as they can be very affectionate and sociable. Look into whether you want to get males or females, as they tend to have very different personalities. Males tend to be quieter, lazier and will happily sit on your lap during free ranging time, whereas females are livlier and love to run about and get lots of exercise.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭thecivvie

I keep several rats, mainly double Rex but also have 2 dumbos. These are my kids pets and are wonderfull animals. Yes keep them together as pairs of more and get them from a breeder, not ony are you stopping breeding farms but the breeder will normally be helpfull.

I keep mine in the same room as cats and lets just say the rats have the last laugh :) Though I have never let the rats out with the cats in the room :)

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Thomas in Boardwalk pets breeds his own rats. There was a lovely healthy inquisitive mama rat and a litter of lovely little babies.

They were grey and white, all grown up and sold now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭LovelyTom

Hi I'm thinking about getting a pet rat myself and was wondering if anyone knew where I could find a breeder?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

i have bought hundreds of rats over the past 3 years and all ya need to do is defrost the feckers and throw em in with the python!!! thats all the lil diease ridden c*nts are good for... get yourself a nice budgie, or other bird, they are much better pets and most look stunning and people wont look at you crooked when you tell them what pet you have!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

They sound like great pets, there are a few Rats looking for homes on petsireland if you'd be interested in adopting a couple. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

If you're getting a Rat, make sure he has a hat!

PPT2162.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

oh YUKK!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

Monty strikes again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭mary123

Rats, mice my worst nightmare. :eek:

Advertisement