Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

engine coolant

Options
  • 29-02-2008 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭

hi

i noticed the other day that the needle on my engine coolant temperature guage was up at high. when i started the car again the engine revs were quite high.

i checked the coolant tank on tuesday and it was just about empty. i filled it up with a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and deionised water. when i ran it again the revs had calmed down. when driving, the engine coolant temperature was in the middle but when idling it started going higher.

last night i checked the coolant tank again and it was almost empty. i filled it up again and then let the engine run. the needle stayed in the middle for about 10 minutes but then started getting higher again. i turned the engine off and left it for the night.

this morning i had a 15 minute drive with plenty of stopping in traffic and the needle didn't seem to go above the middle. however, i checked the coolant tank when i had parked and the level seems to have dropped already.

i don't know anything about coolant and radiators etc. but is it just that the system was empty and it needs a few fills of coolant to get back to the right level? or could there be something else wrong? there is no obvious leak on the ground beneath the car.

the car is a 94 mazda 121 if that's at all relevant.

thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Head gasket?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

open the bonnet, run the engine, check for leaks. Let the car get up to temperature, check for leaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Check your oil dipstick and under the filler cap; if your oil has a mayonnaise-like look about it you may be leaking coolant into the engine's oilways. Most likely cause is head gasket failure, unfortunately.

Also possible that a small leak has developed in the cooling system and is steaming off from engine heat rather than dripping as liquid - harder to spot but easier to fix than the above once found.

Advertisement