Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tabasco Chipolte - where to buy

• 29-02-2008 12:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭

Where can I buy Tabsco Chipolte sauce.
    According to the Irish distributor the regular and green sauces are the only ones available here.

I am in the Dublin 15 area.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭cookiequeen

its absolutely amazing, I've only ever seen it in the states, I'm sure you gould get it shipped tho.

On a side note does anyone have any idea wete to get chipotle chillis in Ire, I became addicted when living in the US and haven't been able to find them at all here!!

They're smoked chillis by the way, I'm sure its a specific type of chilli thats smoked but I'd be delighted toget any smoked ones to be honest!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

its absolutely amazing, I've only ever seen it in the states, I'm sure you gould get it shipped tho.
    I have a tin of chipolte chillis in some sauce that someone brought over from US for me.
    I should have asked a recent visitor from there to buy some Tabasco Chipolte.

There is a guy in the Temple Bar Market who makes his own salsa. He says be imports the chillis specially so he might be a source for chipolte chillis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

It's definitely for sale over here, I've already gone through two bottles from Tesco.

Sparks wrote: »
    It's definitely for sale over here, I've already gone through two bottles from Tesco.
    Really!?
    I'll have to ask at Tesco Blanchardstown and try Superquinn.
    I looked at Sainsburys website and they don't have it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭zenzen

i'm almost sure i've seen it in tesco too but i am not 100%

have you seen the website at tabasco.com - they have a site and you can order internationally...if you really need your fix :D you can even get a gallon of the stuff hehe!

zenzen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

the regular and green sauces are the only ones available here

I have seen at least 3 on sale in normal supermarkets. Normal, green, extra hot. And possibly a mild one, not sure if that is the green.

There could well have been that one too.

In the abbey food mall in town there is a shop with millions of hot sauces, if they do not have it, they would have something else.

rubadub wrote: »
    I have seen at least 3 on sale in normal supermarkets. Normal, green, extra hot. And possibly a mild one, not sure if that is the green.
    I found (and bought) the hot Tabasco Habanero in Tesco Clare Hall. Maybe it's just Tesco Blanchardstown that is poorly stocked (like it is for so many products so much of the time - and I keep telling them :rolleyes: ).

The green one is the mild one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

You could always try making your own...

Homemade 'Tabasco' Sauce
    Ingredients:
    12 large Tabasco chile peppers; stemmed
    1 clove peeled garlic
    ½ cup vinegar
    ½ tsp salt
    ½ tsp sugar
    Directions:
    Boil the chile peppers and garlic in vinegar in a small, non-metal saucepan until tender. Puree in a blender with the salt and sugar. Run through a metal sieve if necessary.
    Dilute this paste with more vinegar until it is the consistency of rich cream. Pour into a non-metal saucepan, bring to a boil, then pour into a hot, sterilized bottle to within ½ inch of the rim.
    Run a sterilized knife around the inside of the bottle to release air bubbles. Wipe the rim clean and seal with a scalded top. Store in the refrigerator once opened.

I have another few recipes of varying degrees of complexity if anyone wants them. NB: I haven't tried any of them myself yet. I've been waiting for a 'rainy day' when I've got fcek all else to do before I get stuck into it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Parnassia

On a side note does anyone have any idea wete to get chipotle chillis in Ire, I became addicted when living in the US and haven't been able to find them at all here!!

You can buy tins of chipotles in adobo sauce at the Mexican stand in the Epicurean food hall. I share your addiction!

You can also buy dried chipotles in Fallon and Byrne, haven't tried these yet though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Hill Billy wrote: »
    I have another few recipes of varying degrees of complexity if anyone wants them. NB: I haven't tried any of them myself yet. I've been waiting for a 'rainy day' when I've got fcek all else to do before I get stuck into it..

[pedant]Don't do this on a rainy day. You'll need to have your extractor fan on full and all of your windows open when you start doing a hot sauce cook-up, or you'll end up a choking coughing mess on the floor when the chili hits you...[/pedant]

• Advertisement

[pedant]Don't do this on a rainy day. You'll need to have your extractor fan on full and all of your windows open when you start doing a hot sauce cook-up, or you'll end up a choking coughing mess on the floor when the chili hits you...[/pedant]

A strictly metaphorical 'rainy day' I can assure you. I've learnt my lesson not to even toast curry spices when Mrs Billy & the kids are in the house. I'm under strict instructions to use the gas ring on my barbie for that now. :o (Can't be bothered to put extractor outlet through two-foot thick stone walls.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Suzywuzy

daymobrew wrote: »
    Where can I buy Tabsco Chipolte sauce.
    According to the Irish distributor the regular and green sauces are the only ones available here.

I am in the Dublin 15 area.

I'm sure I saw it in Tesco Roselawn, but then I hate setting foot in that shop unless I really have to ... customer service very rarely exists there !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭cookiequeen

I', loving the idea of making my own hot sauce hill billy. Let me ask you, re the "don't use a metal pot issue" should i use an enamelled pot or something like le creuset, would hate to ruin it tho!!!

Oh and any particular vinegar???

Any other recipes would be greatly appreciated.

I've not actually tried the recipe myself, but in looking back through other recipes with the same ingredients & a simialr cooking method - none of them dictate using a non-metal saucepan. I'd imagine that it is the author's personal preference.

For the vinegar - I'd use distilled white vinegar. Will get you the recipes later.

Advertisement