Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honest Advice Needed Please

Options
  • 29-02-2008 1:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi,

I am currently driving a 1997 Honda Civic 1.4 SE (Saloon) it has lots of extras is in good nick and has 71150 miles on the clock, I have had it for 14 months and no probs.

A Family member is selling his car and has mentioned that he would swap + very small amount of cash (€300) so he would use my car as a trade in on new one. The car is a 1999 Renault Megane Saloon 1.4 and it has 31200 miles on the clock, FSH plenty of extras etc.

What should I do?

Any advice??

Thanks

Seán

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Run away. Fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭PokerEventsSeán

Forgive my ignorance, as i know F all about cars, but what are the pros and cons of these two models??

Seán

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

There are loads of threads concerning dodgy Renaults here. Do a search.

Thanks Henry, will do

After only 3 minutes looking at the other threads Henry, I am VERY wary about this, family member or not its is getting a thumbs down me thinks.

Thanks for the advice.

Seán

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

stick with the honda..........or you'll regret it.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭mvpr

Its simple - your Honda will run for another 10 years, the Megane wont.

In addition, your car would probably sell for more money than the Megane on the open market.

Thanks for the advice, I think I will use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Cut that family member out of your will! :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

Yep run for the hills on this deal.
    Drove an 87 (i think) honda accord coupe today with 248k miles on the clock. Not the prettiest thing in the world but solid mechanically driving well. how many old renaults do you see about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

this family member either thinks you're thick as 2 planks or doesn't like you - HE should be offering YOU money to take that renault from him..........the cheek of him

in fairness, he has just about as much knowledge as i do about cars, he thought becaue it is 2 yrs younger and 40k niles less, that he was doing me a favour is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Stick with what you have, the Civic is the better car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Civic is far supperior in every way, Newer doesnt mean better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

in fairness, he has just about as much knowledge as i do about cars, he thought becaue it is 2 yrs younger and 40k niles less, that he was doing me a favour is all.

Ya... but he knows enough to know that yours is worth more in a trade in than his!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

to be fair, the Megane would have an advantage on safety

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 PurelyEsoteric

Stick with the Civic. It will last much longer than the Renault and is overall a nicer car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

most garages wont take Meganes or Lagunas as a trade in so stick with the Honda.

Advertisement