Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gerry Ryan's salary

• 29-02-2008 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭

Gerry was very sheepish as he reviewed the newspapers telling everyone he "earns" €558,990 a year.You think that's bad until you hear that Mr Bland himself,Ryan Tubridy is on 350k a year.Shocking money for such a tiny radio market.Ireland is the same size as greater Manchester.Anyone know what the top earner is on over there?RTE are having a laugh.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They certainly are, the arguement about paying to retain talent is a dubious one as well. No other radio station could come close to RTE salaries and few if any would hack it across the water on national radio where oppotunities are few and far between. A fairly hefty pay cut could be made and no-one would jump ship.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I have been saying that for years but nobody listens.

Politicians of course have a vested interest in keeping Montrose sweet,so thats why there's no outcry.

It's totally off the wall.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Much as I hate the man, isn't Gerry Ryan's radio show supposed to be 24 carat gold for advertising slots?

That's what they would like you to think................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Well 2fm earns a profit , so I don't see anyone can have an issue with its salary profiles....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭berliner

jhegarty wrote: »
    Well 2fm earns a profit , so I don't see anyone can have an issue with its salary profiles....
    I've read articles that said 2FM wouldn't survive on the open market.It receives licence money so people are right to be pissed by Ryan's salary.Besides that,he's always on the lookout for freebies.Sounds like a really greedy guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

2FM is entirely self sufficient from advertising.

Careful, manys a poster has fallen into that assumption before ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

berliner wrote: »
    [2fm] receives licence money ...

:rolleyes: No, it doesn't. It's 100% funded by advertising and doesn't use TV license money, unlike the rest of RTÉ.

Bard wrote: »
    :rolleyes: No, it doesn't.
    well i can guarentee it couldn't survive out in the open market without being proped up by licence payer money.That's a fact.You think Ryan and Tubridy are worth that much dosh?

2 FM should be sold off I don't see how it adds much to the public service concept.

Mike.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    2 FM should be sold off I don't see how it adds much to the public service concept.

Mike.
    exactly

At the risk of repeating myself from just two months ago....
    DMC wrote:
    Its surplus pays into providing your most valued RTÉ Radio 1.

(page 48 of the 2006 Annual Report)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

2FM adds as much to the broadcasting re-mit as BBC Radio 1 if you ask me. Okay I'm more entertained by Chris Moyles than I am by Gerry Ryan but the fact remains that Ryans show brings in the listeners despite how many of us on boards.ie don't like his show! So in this case, his salary can be justified imo. He more than pays for himself.

r3nu4l wrote: »
    2FM adds as much to the broadcasting re-mit as BBC Radio 1 if you ask me. Okay I'm more entertained by Chris Moyles than I am by Gerry Ryan but the fact remains that Ryans show brings in the listeners despite how many of us on boards.ie don't like his show! So in this case, his salary can be justified imo. He more than pays for himself.

Spot on there, r3nu4l. The boards.ie demograph is narrow and may not reflect the entire habits of a nation as a whole ;)

So... once a company earns a profit ,salary profiles are not an issue.???

Surely you cannot be serious on that statement.

r3nu4l wrote: »

A rhesus monkey would bring in listeners between 0900-1200 Mon -Fri on 2FM.

Ok maybe a bit over the top, but any half assed presenter could pull in the listeners at that period.

Pay Ryan a quarter of his salary and he wouldn't jump, take it from me.

These goons know which side their bread is buttered on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Belle Ende

Gerry was very sheepish as he reviewed the newspapers telling everyone he "earns" €558,990 a year. Shocking money for such a tiny radio market.

And think of how many years that clontarf slug has been raking it in too. For a (when he's not on another junket/holiday/sicky) 15 hour 'working' week in radio broadcast too.

The man isn't worth even 1/30th of his salary. Fzck Gerry Ryan, fzck his gombeen listeners, and fzck RTE.

His 'ordinary joe' schtick going through the 'daily grind' to pay his mortgage rings very hollow indeed.

DMC, when I said does'nt add much to the public service concept - I meant doing the kind of things no other music based station would or could do. That its self funding doesn't absolve it from being junk and on that point alone it should be set free.

They could use the few hundred million Dennis would pay for it (!) to develop a genuinely progressive music channel. Radio One should be able to finance itself after all doesn't it have so many popular presenters? ;)

Mike

Ya got something there Belle.

Ever stop to think how the ordinary joe bit takes in the punters?

thats where the talent is, on 550k and have people think you are on yer uppers and an ordinary guy.

Sigh..... how easy it is to take people in.

DMC, when I said does'nt add much to the public service concept - I meant doing the kind of things no other music based station would or could do. That its self funding doesn't absolve it from being junk and on that point alone it should be set free.

Risking it again... :D
    DMC wrote: »
    ....it is a commercial station, it makes money and its hard, at first glance, to see where the PSB need is in 2FM. I would say, if it helps keep the licence fee down, then its a keeper. It also has programmes that are commercial pitfalls for some, like live concerts and Transition Year projects.

• Advertisement

Thin stuff DMC thin stuff! :) I'm sure Today FM could do a decent programme of live concerts if they were prompted as for Transition Year material I've not heard that so can't comment on its value but it could be broadcast on a TnG opt out or somesuch.

Mike.

Thin stuff DMC thin stuff! :)

As opposed to... Gerry Ryan! TISH! :D
    I'm sure Today FM could do a decent programme of live concerts if they were prompted as for Transition Year material I've not heard that so can't comment on its value but it could be broadcast on a TnG opt out or somesuch.

If they were prompted. They're not, so they don't. Here's how it doesn't work. If you dedicate an hour or so to a particular band, you are not going to get the casual listener, your average 98FM hairdresser, for instance. "Coming up in concert, its The Kaiser Cheifs". A lot of the audience will click or retune, and possibly only fans or fans of live music will stay with it.

Live concerts could be said are a legacy of the old "needle time" directive, some people still like them, hence they find a place in the schedule.

As for Transition Year, 2FM is nominally a youth aimed station, and that hour is of interest to TY students, tbh.

Ya got something there Belle.

Ever stop to think how the ordinary joe bit takes in the punters?

thats where the talent is, on 550k and have people think you are on yer uppers and an ordinary guy.

Sigh..... how easy it is to take people in.
    I hate it when Ryan pretends to be a man of the people and talks about worrying whether he'll have money for his children etc while in reality he eats in the best resturants three times a week,has an extensive property portfolio.Hate millionaires crying the poor mouth.

Heh heh , thats where the "talent" lies auld son.

Mary rings in from Finglas and berates the "Social Welfare" because she can't get what she thinks she's due.

Auld Gerry goes all affronted, and concerned and whips up an air of psuedo concernity ( my invention:D) while in reality he couldn't give a fcuk,and is only concerned with his next junket with the wife and family to some destinado where all expences are "taken care of" I believe is the expression.

:D Some fcukers are taken in by all of that I'm told:eek::eek::eek:

Heh heh , thats where the "talent" lies auld son.

Mary rings in from Finglas and berates the "Social Welfare" because she can't get what she thinks she's due.

Auld Gerry goes all affronted, and concerned and whips up an air of psuedo concernity ( my invention:D) while in reality he couldn't give a fcuk,and is only concerned with his next junket with the wife and family to some destinado where all expences are "taken care of" I believe is the expression.

:D Some fcukers are taken in by all of that I'm told:eek::eek::eek:
    you're bang on the money.Well said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Anyone know how much the Today FM crowd are on, It would be interesting to compare to 2fm

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Meirleach

Belle Ende wrote: »
    His 'ordinary joe' schtick going through the 'daily grind' to pay his mortgage rings very hollow indeed.
    +1
    That is what always annoys me about Gerry Ryan...I didn't know he was on half a million a year though :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

I read in the sunday times a few weeks ago that Ryan pulls in about 6 million a year in advertising.

Myself, i cant see the attraction, I'm a Dub, is he popular outside The Pale or something?

It seems like the first hour is him reading the papers, he just sounds bored, how long more to retirement?

Tubridy should get the heave ho as well.

One hour a day? what a gig!

But i will put up my hand and say i like Pat Kenny, but only on De Radio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

I think I'm one of only three people that post here that like Gerry Ryan.

'tis a lonely place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I hate it when Ryan pretends to be a man of the people

It worked for Bertie Ahern, did you see all the idiots that voted him back in.

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    good point!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

The general public are moronic.

They're overweight, talk sh1te, listen to Gerry Ryan and vote in Bertie.

IanCurtis wrote: »
    The general public are moronic.

They're overweight, talk sh1te, listen to Gerry Ryan and vote in Bertie.
    Amen to that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

It's a "you scratch my back thing". Ahern doesn't knock the Montrose pay structure and in return Ryan sings his praises all over the airwaves

• Advertisement

bmaxi wrote: »
    It's a "you scratch my back thing". Ahern doesn't knock the Montrose pay structure and in return Ryan sings his praises all over the airwaves
    Poor old Gerry can barely conceal his love for Bertie and Fianna Fail.Sure didn't he used to go out to visit Charlie out in Kinsealy when he was a nipper.It's great to have a member of the establishment masquerading as an ordinary Joe on the Radio every morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

And you would have preferred to vote this in?

endaicecreamrh2.jpg

eamon234 wrote: »
    And you would have preferred to vote this in?

endaicecreamrh2.jpg

Divil the much between them.Bertie and Enda....how low can we go....meanwhile back at the ranch...Gerry is having a laugh about his big salary.He said on the radio the other morning...I quote "I wonder how many licence payers it takes to pay my salary?" He said that in his smug 'I'm so great voice'.They live in a different world out there in ARE T E

That's how free enterprise works.... if you don't like it then book a one way flight to Cuba.....

It's a different matter if they lost money and the license fee paid his wages...

That's how free enterprise works.... if you don't like it then book a one way flight to Cuba.....

It's a different matter if they lost money and the license fee paid his wages...
    Without the licence fee they would have to close down.Mmm...without the licence fee..... Every damn show on the TV has a sponsor yet the hard pressed punters are asked to cough up the dosh to keep the boys and girls in montrose in the lifestyle they've become accustomed to.

• Advertisement

Without the licence fee they would have to close down..

Let me say this slowly because people don't seem to be getting it...

2fm makes a profit...
    2fm does not get money from the license fee....
    2fm makes money , not losses it...
    2fm it profitable....
    2fm's business model does not require money from the license fee to make a profit....

2fm makes a profit...
    2fm it profitable....
    2fm's business model does not require money from the license fee to make a profit....
    Errr...so they don't need the licence fee then?Wipeee...no more threatining ads on the radio.No more buying licence stamps.That winds up this discussion then.

Errr...so they don't need the licence fee then?Wipeee...no more threatining ads on the radio.No more buying licence stamps.That winds up this discussion then.

I give up :confused:....

I give up :confused:....
    Yeah,game set and the match to me!!!

Are you really serious. Your take on free enterprise is different than mine comrade.

If you want free enterprise let 2FM start up as a private company,totally divorced from RTE,build their own studios and take on all the ancillary structures needed to run a company.
    Be a lot more in their line to cut the astronomical advertising rates they charge to pay these vastly overinflated wages.

Its a disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Belle Ende

If you want free enterprise let 2FM start up as a private company,totally divorced from RTE,build their own studios and take on all the ancillary structures needed to run a company.
    Be a lot more in their line to cut the astronomical advertising rates they charge to pay these vastly overinflated wages.

Indeed -> and the cross-pollination effect from Radio 1 and the RTE tv channels are obviously to the benefit of 2FM. So the notion that 2FM is a 'self-sufficient free standing unit' is quite dubious in that light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Bard wrote: »
    :rolleyes: No, it doesn't. It's 100% funded by advertising and doesn't use TV license money, unlike the rest of RTÉ.

Yes, this has been said before, and is true on the surface BUT how much does 2FM pay the "public service part" of RTE for the TV ads that it uses, compared to what, say, Today FM might have to pay ? How much does it benefit from the fact that the 2FM ads can highlight show times, whereas RTE put a restriction on "other" stations preventing them from announcing or displaying show times, etc ?

And why in God's name does Gerry get his pick of TV shows which he mutually promotes - e.g. the new weight loss thing on TV saying that they were "Ryan show listeners", etc ? - despite the fact that EVERY TV show that he's been associated with has been rubbish ? Any other presenter would be out on their ear (at least TV-wise) by now.

On paper they might be self-sufficient, but until someone shows us some accounts re the advertising and allows Ray D'Arcy to plug his show every time he's on The Rose of Tralee, etc, then it'll NEVER be completely transparent and clear.

Even the other night on Prime Time or something, Sam Smyth was listed as a newspaper columnist......if he was on 2fm you can guarantee they'd be plugging it like hell !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

2fm makes a profit...
    2fm it profitable....

When they are calculating that 2FM is profitable, have they factored in 2FMs' use of a publicly funded studio and their use of RTE transmitters throughout the country,as a privately owned radio station has to provide its own studios and either provide its own radio transmitters or arrange and pay for RTE to broadcast its programmes.

Also in calculating Gerry Ryans 2FM wages, how do they break it down between his pay for his 2FM show and his TV work for RTE as I assume that the pay figure that was quoted is his total pay from RTE for both TV and radio work.

I personally don't see why RTE having decided to pay what it considers to be its 'stars' so much, they then allow so many of them to disappear for so long during the summer months.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

heyjude wrote: »
    When they are calculating that 2FM is profitable, have they factored in 2FMs' use of a publicly funded studio and their use of RTE transmitters throughout the country,as a privately owned radio station has to provide its own studios and either provide its own radio transmitters or arrange and pay for RTE to broadcast its programm

I personally don't see why RTE having decided to pay what it considers to be its 'stars' so much, they then allow so many of them to disappear for so long during the summer months.

Look! Dudes Its all about supply and demand - the G Ryan show is POPULAR ..hence clients are prepared to pay MORE for advt slots because they figure it is good VALUE an it hits their target audience..fcuk all that shyte about public funded studios..theeeeey dooont caaaare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

You do not need to buy a licence to have a radio , it is solely for TV .

If you and the other begrudgeres were to get rid of your tvs you would not need to pay any licence fee. You could still listen to Gerry.

Gerey Ryan would still earn his 560 K a year and continue to generate around €6 million in advertising revenue .

• Advertisement
Advertisement