Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC: "Faster Speeds coming, Summer 2008"

Options
  • 29-02-2008 2:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭

Just had a look on www.upc.ie and where they normally advertise their broadband packages on the front page there is a message promising faster speeds arriving in the summer!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I was about to post that. I got my modem upgraded the other day so they're obviously rolling out something new, I reckon the focus is triple play though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

They have to at least double their speeds or I'll be pissed. Especially after the ****e I have and currently am putting up with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Mencius

I was on to them the last day and was told my 6MB will be increased to 12MB in April with no price increase.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

faster speeds coming this summer, but I'm not seeing the speeds being quoted anywhere...thats not very good

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Pretty much all packages will have their speed doubled at no extra cost. It will be available to new signups first, then rolled out to current customers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Anyone know of any plans to introduce customer service any time soon?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Mencius wrote: »
    I was on to them the last day and was told my 6MB will be increased to 12MB in April with no price increase.

Sorry but Ill believe it when I see it, regardless of what they say.

Although I will give them some credit for the drop in charges recently (Not sure if they are in effect yet)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

What use is 12Mb though if BitTorrent and P2P applications such as Channel 4On Demand and Sky Anytime are throttled to less than 1Mb for the majority of them time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

Asbad wrote: »
    Although I will give them some credit for the drop in charges recently (Not sure if they are in effect yet)

I haven't heard about any drop in charges? Can you elaborate?

Thanks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

IrlJidel wrote: »

Thanks

Indeed just got my bill from them with increased charges on it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

w00t

Im on the 6mb package so will i get a auto upgrage to 12mb?

Anyone know if the upload speeds are going to be better? 512k sucks for me
    i need 1/2mb big time

No not for P2P P2P = noob lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

ricey wrote: »
    No not for P2P P2P = noob lol

Encryption for the win!

BTW: What about their usage caps?

Encryption for the win! ???

whats that all about? heh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

ricey wrote: »
    Encryption for the win! ???

whats that all about? heh

Its a new language which has developed over the last 20 years
    since the internet has become popular.

It is known as "nerd".:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

I would hope they will give us one Mb up, I'd love to get 2.5 Mb up , but I really doubt that will happen . I'd say it will be 768 up more then likely, which would really piss me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Thanks

Got mail from them a few weeks ago saying that they were reducing prices, can't remember the figures but I was intrigued. I had a look for the letter but I think it met the demise of the bin. Hopefully someone knows

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

If I'm remembering correctly, they carried out a harmonisation of package costs across the old NTL and Chorus networks in january. I can't remember the figures off hand either but it meant a few euros off the monthly bill for me in Dublin.

edit: Ah, found the flyer on the upc site: link (.pdf)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

i got a letter in the post few weeks ago.

basically they were giving out to me as i downloaded 74.9GB in my first week of service.
    they said they wont charge me for the extra usage, but they want me to slow down as other customers in the area were experiencing problems.

they said im currently on the 6mb ultra package. which costs me 66 a month bundled with my tv package.

they offered to upgrade me to the 6mb unlimited package...
    anyone heard of this? when i rang customer service, the agent i spoke to didnt have a clue and im waiting for monday to ring them back now.

from what ive heard, its basically the same speed but with a much higher cap.

but as for upgrading new customers first, well thats a stupid way to do things.
    granted it will get them thousands of new customers, but it will piss off every current customer while doing it.

as for that, will the doubling speeds and thousands of new customers not have an equal effect?

aka there wont be enough bandwidth for all the new connections to see a great speed increase?

and praying here that the upload gets at least doubled if not more. but not holding my breath sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,693 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Great so if and when they do double the speed of say the Ultra package which I'm on I hope to God they increase the monthly usage limit up to at least 100gig, although thats not going to happen me thinks

dl limites suck its the one thing that would really
    piss me off, thast why i HATE digiweb so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

. . . . " wooooooohhhhh 12Mpbs..... " me dreaming . . . .

p/s: sshhhhhh.. digiweb is watching here...

Marty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Irishdudedave

Just been announced offically...Top Package will become 12Meg with 120Gb data limit for new customers next month, existing customers have to wait until june...no news of upload speed...

You can read about it here:
    http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single10422

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

irlrobins wrote: »
    Pretty much all packages will have their speed doubled at no extra cost. It will be available to new signups first, then rolled out to current customers.
    another gaff IMO, remember their last effort when upgrading the speed, it was done on some adhock basis but you could call up & request that they upgrade you on the spot which is what I did, some customers had to power cycle their modems in order to activate the upgrade & others did'nt, the guy who replaced my modem last week told me that the speed upgrade was in March,..this month !!

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

Just been announced offically...Top Package will become 12Meg with 120Gb data limit for new customers next month, existing customers have to wait until june...no news of upload speed...

You can read about it here:
    http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single10422

"It says existing customers will be upgraded to either 6Mb or 12Mb at no extra cost."

This would suggest that only the current 3Mb (express) and 6Mb (ultra) products will be upgraded - ie those on the 1MB (value) product will not be upgraded to 2Mb.

I'm still on their 2Mb (Light) product for E25pm which they don't seem to offer anymore - I was planning to downgrade to value for E20 a month when they upgrade it to 2Mb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

"It says existing customers will be upgraded to either 6Mb or 12Mb at no extra cost."

This would suggest that only the current 3Mb (express) and 6Mb (ultra) products will be upgraded - ie those on the 1MB (value) product will not be upgraded to 2Mb.

I'm still on their 2Mb (Light) product for E25pm which they don't seem to offer anymore - I was planning to downgrade to value for E20 a month when they upgrade it to 2Mb.

Same news here:

http://www.electricnews.net:80/news.html?code=10123998

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

I am on 3meg I will go to 6meg my current data cap is 30gig what will my new cap be?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,693 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Thank God 120meg monthly download limit finally!!!! yippee :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I wonder if I cancel my service and sign up again will I get the 12Mbit sooner? :)

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

They are killing off the 2meg package as an option to new customers. 1meg will stay the same as an entry level BB package. If your on 2megs you will have the option of moving to the 6meg packages for an extra fiver a month or staying on your 2meg service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭bindybandy

Pretty tempting offers - I've not paid attention to ntl for a while now so can somebody answer these questions:

1 - Can you have just a cable modem package from them or do you have to have the tv as well? Quite happy with SKY for years now and don't want to change.

2 what is their service like? I had them for a year back in 2005 - 2006 and they were fine until they sent internet traffic out to Amsterdam or something and pings went through the roof. Dload speeds were not great once the 6mb package was introduced and I could barely get 2mb?

Thanks

Advertisement