Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC: "Faster Speeds coming, Summer 2008"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Spagfish wrote: »
    The previous test were run from a wireless laptop in the next room to the router (full signal). I ran that test 1000 times and did not get a single spike on a wired connection. Does this mean that the router they gave me is not good? Or just not configured properly? To fix this should I buy a new router? Or get NTL to install another TV port in the room that I'd be using the xbox for a wired connection? I take it that spikes like that would be pretty significant for gaming.

Ping statistics for 193.1.219.79:
    Packets: Sent = 1000, Received = 1000, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 42ms, Maximum = 50ms, Average = 43ms

I run my xbox off the same wireless router and never have a problem, maybe try a different channel on the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Spikes on pings of Wireless routers are inherent.

Other users AND/OR interference or another router/WiFi within 4 channels (really only 1, 6 or 7 and 13 are really separate channels for 802.11g and really no separate channels for "n" series) or CPU overload in the router causes them. It's ironically more likely on a 108, 125 or 250Mbps turboG or "n" system than old 802.11b @ 11Mbps as 10 times CPU power needed and also 20 times more susceptible to interference.

If you run cat5 ethernet on a 4 port router you get x16 LAN performance for 4 pcs talking to each other than 4 sharing wifi. The cable modem part can only be in one place, but you can use an RG6 coax cable to move it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

An occasional spike may not matter in a game environment.
    Pings are not real measurement, only an indication. Real data is slightly different.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

holy cr*p, looks like my 3MB NTL package has been upgraded :D
    I used to top out at 330k on the torrents, currently getting 650k.

ntl5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Duff Man Jr.

Anyone know how strict the download cap is with upc? I prob do around 50 gb a month on a 10gb cap eircom 1mb line, and never got cautioned or anything. The 12mb line is capped at 120gb, it might be a stretch to go over this but i'm getting a 1tb hd next week.

• Advertisement

I got charged an extra €5 once (for going over the limit I suspect) but never enquired as to what the actual limit was. That was back on the 3mb line when I'd been just d/ling rediculous amounts like maybe 3GB a day.

and I bought a new 1TB drive too (Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000), just formatted it this week. Took about 4hrs, around 953GB of storage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Spagfish

Spagfish wrote: »
    I use my connection mostly for xbox live too. The 12 Meg was installed on Tuesday and I had terrible lag problems on xbox live (both Gears of War and Halo 3 were totally unplayable, even though I had open NAT.) There definitely was no problem with xbox live because I tested it with my Eircom broadband connection. I rang support and they said my connection was perfect so there shouldn't be a problem - they couldn't help me and suggested I ring the premium support number. There's no way that's going to happen!
    I'm not familiar with the new router they gave me (Netgear WGR614) but I noticed that wireless mode was set to b and g so I changed it to g only. I only made that change yesterday evening and didn't have any lag problems last night (I was hosting 8 on Gears lag free - on Tuesday I couldn't even host 3). I'll get to test it out properly over the weekend. Hopefully the problem was just the router, I really don't want to have to go back to my 3meg Eircom!

My download speeds have remained pretty constant at 11.5 down and 0.95 up.

I was playing on xbox live all weekend with no problems. The previous issues were wireless related.

Thanks for the help guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Tazzer

Loveless wrote: »
    holy cr*p, looks like my 3MB NTL package has been upgraded :D
    I used to top out at 330k on the torrents, currently getting 650k.

ntl5.jpg

where are you located, and did you request for the upgrade?

i requested it online last night and was wondering if anyone knows how long they take to upgrade - I'm in the Firhouse Area.

Oh the bliss of 120GB limit:D

Tazzer wrote: »
    where are you located, and did you request for the upgrade?

in Kilkenny city, and no I didn't request an upgrade.

I knew NTL were planning on rolling out faster speeds this summer, but it wasn't until I saw this thread that I thought of re-testing the connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭baz909

Here is my NTL 12MB speed test

262700712.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭rahenyguy

Hi can anyone tell me how the 12 mb is for downloading torrents thinking of changing from bt to ntl:D,at the moment i top out at 300kb/s,has anybody used this new 12mb with torrents and do ntl block ports etc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

They don't block ports afaik. However there was talk of them throttleing torrent speeds, I expearienced it in the past. It has gotten to the stage that I have given up on torrents and I got myself a rapidshare account instead. Because of this I have not been using torrents for the last few months so I do not know if they are still throtteling them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭coghlac3

Hi all,

I'm in Clare Hall, Dublin 13 and have the Old NTL 3meg package. Just wondering if anyone else is nearby and if they have been upgraded yet?

Do I need to contact UPC or do I just sit tight?

Thanks All

C

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

early june.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Appleblossom42

I was on the 2mb, rang UPC around half an hour ago to request upgrade to the next level. I was told that would be 6mb and an extra fiver a month. Half an hour later, voila! registering just under 6mb on speed.net. No mention of a contract. I'm down in Waterford by the way.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

as a current 6mb NTL user I rang and got them to upgrade me to the 12mb. Class! :D

Have you done a speedtest?? Are you getting the full speeds? Also did they mention anything about you having to sign up to another 12 month contract??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

as a current 6mb NTL user I rang and got them to upgrade me to the 12mb. Class! :D

Rang them there now about the upgrade and they said i had to fill out a form on there website and wait until June:mad:

getting around 10-11mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

mickger wrote: »
    Rang them there now about the upgrade and they said i had to fill out a form on there website and wait until June:mad:

guys you dont need to wring! it will happene automatic, do you think UPC would keep a load of 6mg people paying less (old 3 mg price??) than move em up to 12meg???

it does not make business sense! half their revenue over night?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Drapper wrote: »
    guys you dont need to wring! it will happene automatic, do you think UPC would keep a load of 6mg people paying less (old 3 mg price??) than move em up to 12meg???

it does not make business sense! half their revenue over night?

You make no sense. None.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

he means that they can either half your bill every month or upgrade you to a 12mb line so in business sense they are going to upgrade you and get the same amount every month.

Thor wrote: »
    he means that they can either half your bill every month or upgrade you to a 12mb line so in business sense they are going to upgrade you and get the same amount every month.

exactly. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Thor wrote: »

According to their website, if you do not sign the new contract, you stay on the same package. That means no increase in speed or no decrease in price. That makes a whole lot of business sense.

lads if you ring them and push it enough they will give you the upgrade immediately. (Hint:- "cancellations department");)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

paulm17781 wrote: »
    According to their website, if you do not sign the new contract, you stay on the same package. That means no increase in speed or no decrease in price. That makes a whole lot of business sense.

What he said ^. There'll be no change to your package (and hence no change to the price) unless you choose to move to one of the new packages.

paulm17781 wrote: »

Has to be against the 'supply of goods and service act'?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Well I was actually 'given' the upgrade without actually asking for it. There was no mention of a contract renewal. I hope not as I will definitely be moving house within the year.

Can anyone definitely confirm there is a 120GB cap?
    Can't see my myself using even half of it in any given month but nice to know all the same...

Yeah there is a 120 GB cap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Drapper wrote: »
    Has to be against the 'supply of goods and service act'?

I wouldn't think so. They're not forcing you to take it but there is an easy option to do so if you wish. I would suspect they're well entitled to do this whether we like it or not.

Advertisement