Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC: "Faster Speeds coming, Summer 2008"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

paulm17781 wrote: »
    I wouldn't think so. They're not forcing you to take it but there is an easy option to do so if you wish. I would suspect they're well entitled to do this whether we like it or not.

True, but I could not see any other utility provider charging same rate for two different products? In the past there was just a switch clicked and the upgrade kicked in. I know UPC are a different beast. I called a week ago and got the upgrade will be automatic in my area and I should hold tight, there was no need to do anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Drapper wrote: »
    True, but I could not see any other utility provider charging same rate for two different products? In the past there was just a switch clicked and the upgrade kicked in. I know UPC are a different beast. I called a week ago and got the upgrade will be automatic in my area and I should hold tight, there was no need to do anything.

True, I'm not saying I agree with it. I just don't think they're doing anything wrong. It's a horrible tactic but no doubt legal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Zascar wrote: »
    Well I was actually 'given' the upgrade without actually asking for it. There was no mention of a contract renewal. I hope not as I will definitely be moving house within the year.

Can anyone definitely confirm there is a 120GB cap?
    Can't see my myself using even half of it in any given month but nice to know all the same...

If they didn't tell you then your not on a new contract as you never agreed to anything but the cap increase. You were never informed it was a new contract or given any information other than they were giving you a free upgrade.

Anyway none of this will actually matter unless their service goes to sh*t in the next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

w00t i just rang UPC n asked them why have i not been upgraded yet
    and the sales woman said wait a min and put me on hold. She came back on and said wait twenty mins reset my modem and my speed upgrade will be done :D

I just chanced my arm because i rang them the other day and they said id have to wait till the start of june.

12mb woot 720p all the way lolo or maby 1080p lamo

:D

Downloading now @ 1.3mbps

• Advertisement

ricey wrote: »
    :D

Downloading now @ 1.3mbps

just off the phone, they have received allot of calls today on this topic today. The official line is there will be a switch over to the new speeds for all on the 1st of June. I asked about the contradiction on their website and they will look into this .......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

just off the phone, they have received allot of calls today on this topic today. The official line is there will be a switch over to the new speeds for all on the 1st of June. I asked about the contradiction on their website and they will look into this .......

I rang them earlier and was told the same as you.

Which contradiction?

paulm17781 wrote: »
    Which contradiction?

website states you need to fill in an application to get the upgraded speed + agree to 12 month contract, the cs staff member states it happens automatic... no application required. They contradict each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

website states you need to fill in an application to get the upgraded speed + agree to 12 month contract, the cs staff member states it happens automatic... no application required. They contradict each other.

Sure what else could one expect from the "ISP of the Year" :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Sure what else could one expect from the "ISP of the Year" :)

12 Megs?:D

That's what I thought, wasn't sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Its ment to be a new 12 month contract. Don't think they have changed their minds on that one. But then again some CS seem to upgrade people according to this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

Phoned sales, they told me upgrade will only take place on June, and I have to wait.
    Phones support - and got it upgraded from 3 to 12 for extra tenner straight away. A bit confusing as you guys said earlier on, why sales messing around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

Denisoftus wrote: »
    Phoned sales, they told me upgrade will only take place on June, and I have to wait.
    Phones support - and got it upgraded from 3 to 12 for extra tenner straight away. A bit confusing as you guys said earlier on, why sales messing around.
    yes that may be true because you are actually upgrading from the old 3meg package to the new 12meg package, you would have been upgraded to the 6meg package otherwise as stated on their site, you'll be paying an extra €10 per month now,..I'm on the old 6mg package which I'm told will go to 12mg in June at no extra charge,.at the moment I can tweek 740~780kbs download speeds using flashget

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Technical Support told me to wait till June. So I give up trying to get the upgrade before then :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 spudmurf2k

yea they said the same to me, 1st June, and that was from both Sales and Cust Support...

i just rang sales and said im on there 6mb package and i never got my upgrade to 12mb, she put me on hold for a min then came back and said restart my router in about 20mins and the upgrade will be done, and it was 12mb w00t :D

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Got on to support yesterday, I'm on ultra 3 months, was told june 1 for upgrade to 12, chanced my arm today and rang again saying my sister who signed up the same time as me (lie) was upgraded last week, and bingo, told me to reset the modem and now i'm on 12, happy days...

Just ring em and get it a month earlier...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,693 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

ricey wrote: »
    i just rang sales and said im on there 6mb package and i never got my upgrade to 12mb, she put me on hold for a min then came back and said restart my router in about 20mins and the upgrade will be done, and it was 12mb w00t :D

Just did the same an hour ago and got a nice sales lady who did the upgrade for me after a bit of negotiating with her and now speedtest is showing

266564036.png

Happy Days :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

i'v seen a good few people here post pics of there speed test and they seem to get almost the full 12 meg download speed , mine never get's much higher than 9 meg on the download speed test :(
    266572868.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

Chanced my arm aswell after reading this. Sweetness! Now we got the new speeds does that also mean the new download cap kicks in aswell?

Chanced my arm aswell after reading this. Sweetness! Now we got the new speeds does that also mean the new download cap kicks in aswell?
    absolutely Tyler! no more worrying about getting those going over the Cap letters :)

Clover wrote: »
    i'v seen a good few people here post pics of there speed test and they seem to get almost the full 12 meg download speed , mine never get's much higher than 9 meg on the download speed test :(
    266572868.png

Clover are you going through a router? did you try going directly from the NTL modem to your lan connection? What NTL modem have you?

Also have any of you guys checked out the the cable modem operation configuration? Mine is showing Max upstream and Max downstream as 0????

Thats excellent so thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Clover are you going through a router? did you try going directly from the NTL modem to your lan connection? What NTL modem have you?

yeh i'm going through a netgear router i got from NTL , i'll run a cable and direct connect my pc to my NTL Motorola surfboard modem and see if that makes any difference.

edit: direct conneting to the NTL modem makes no difference to the speedtest results , i'll just have to ring up about it .

266856649.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Rang them twice this morning and got two different operators and both told me to wait until june. Guess its just who you get and who has the power to do the upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

mickger wrote: »
    Rang them twice this morning and got two different operators and both told me to wait until june. Guess its just who you get and who has the power to do the upgrade.

Yes you will just have to wait until June they only take care of the important people first.:D
    [IMG][/img]266882322.png

• Registered Users Posts: 26 7samurai

Was with eircom for the last few years but was never happy with the service I was getting . Was paying 48 euro for the 3mb package but I was only ever able to max my connection at around 2.4mb. Only realised last week that UPC was available in my area so I switched over and not only am I saving money but I am maxing out above the rated 12mb on newsgroups and torrents are running great as well. Have heard that UPC are traffic shaping but I haven't seen any evidence of it yet. Only bad thing I have to say about UPC is there stated 40 euro a month is only if you also get digital tv as well. 46 euro for broadband alone. Still cheaper and a far better service than eircom are offering at the min

• Advertisement

mickger wrote: »

Thats unlucky cause i told my mate aswell and i dont think he got it either, i tried the sales line not the customer service lines so maybe you could try that.

Advertisement