Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC: "Faster Speeds coming, Summer 2008"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,693 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

well I kind of started with the girl I was onto saying its not fair that I had to wait to be upgraded and that I was paying full price for a lower package, the girl paused for about 30 seconds and then came back and said hold on a minute this is the first time I've tried this and bingo she upgraded me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,693 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Clover wrote: »
    yeh i'm going through a netgear router i got from NTL , i'll run a cable and direct connect my pc to my NTL Motorola surfboard modem and see if that makes any difference.

edit: direct conneting to the NTL modem makes no difference to the speedtest results , i'll just have to ring up about it .

266856649.png

I think thats the problem there, you need a modem upgrade from UPC, I don't think the Motorolla can go passed 10mb have a read here http://www.chetnet.co.uk/articles/index.php?page=index_v2&id=91&c=4

not knowing the model of Surfboard I could be wrong but looks like it needs to be upgraded for you to get close to the 12Meg. Hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

thanks man , i'll give them a ring during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

The motorola surfboard 5101e which ntl/upc were issuing around last summer is fully capable of the increased speeds - it's docsis 2.0 compliant so 12/1mbit is well within it's range.

Go to http://192.168.100.1 and check your signal levels.

Downstream Value

Frequency 426250000 Hz
    Signal To Noise Ratio 37.6 dB
    Power Level -11.2 dBmV

Upstream Value

Channel ID 3
    Frequency 19600000 Hz
    Power 50.0 dBmV

i ran the speedtest again and for the first time i got download speed close to 12 meg , so it must be contention.

267212070.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

I tried the speedtest for ireland and was gettin close to 12, so i just started messing with a few other i tried the one in the faroe islands and it rocketed up to 14.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

For everybody who has had to ring UPC, do you still have to wait for 30 mins+ before getting through to anybody?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

tman wrote: »
    For everybody who has had to ring UPC, do you still have to wait for 30 mins+ before getting through to anybody?

it depends on who you want to talk to. i waited for about 30 mins for tech support. but only 1 min for billing.

how typical they answer quick when they are getting money.

Speakerphone and dial 1908. All you can do :\

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

From what I gather the limits have increased triple fold, right? going from 40(I think it was that) to 120.

Does anyone know how the limits have increased for the Max customers? I'm on the 80 e/pm package and my limit was 90GB when Ultra's was 40, did it go up 3 times aswell?.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

CyberGhost wrote: »
    Does anyone know how the limits have increased for the Max customers? I'm on the 80 e/pm package and my limit was 90GB when Ultra's was 40, did it go up 3 times aswell?.

What do you get for 80e?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

paulm17781 wrote: »
    What do you get for 80e?
    If your on the 80 quid package you no longer have a cap

DingDong wrote: »

is that 80 quid a month for broadband only? or is it tv bundle aswel?

im paying 66 a month for tv and BB but im getting letter's about going over the limit.

Why isn't this 80 euro package advertised on their site? :?

paulm17781 wrote: »
    What do you get for 80e?

Increased cap, everything else is the same.
    DingDong wrote: »

Nope, it's still limited, 90GB
    Moriarty wrote: »
    Why isn't this 80 euro package advertised on their site? :?

I have no idea, and many employees even don't know about that package.

I was cut off from overusing and I rang and talked to one very helpful fellow, who was obviously in the "know" so he was the one that offered me to upgrade to a higher limit. Everytime I called to other support people they didn't know about it. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

CyberGhost The new 80 euro BB package has no cap . It probably has some fair usage policy I haven't looked at the finer details of it.
    RoyalMarineComm the 80 euro is just for BB and the removal of the cap. So basically your paying 40euros more for the 12MB service to have it uncapped .
    It is strange its not advertised at all. I think the new 120gig cap should do most medium to heavy users though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 paulyx

The pack has a fair use policy of 500GB per month

It's also 12MB

paulyx wrote: »
    The pack has a fair use policy of 500GB per month

It's also 12MB

Nice! that's fair alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

Has everyone been upgraded to 12mb yet?

Still on 6Mb out in celbridge :confused:

Mutz wrote: »

Still on 6Mb out in celbridge :confused:

Obvsiously not so! ;)

I'm still on 6 too. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

no
    Mutz wrote: »

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Nevermind, sorry read "anyone" instead of "everyone".

still on 6 here.

still on 6 here.

gz7nttkc.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

still on 6 here.

Yeah me too.

tsewang wrote: »
    unfortunatley there is even more frustration with NTL now. most users of the UPC - NTL Broadband have probably already been "surprised" by the latest €2 extra charge for not using direct debit for paying the bill.

This has been around a long time. It was last year it first raised it's head. Saying "surprised" is a little much seeing as I heard of it that long ago.

While I disagree with this charge, it has little to do with their speed increases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

Well, am now on to UPC and the first person I talked to was a complete twit.

She was insisting that:

1) the upgrade is only available on condition of signing a new 12 month contract;
    2) it will be available in June only and only on condition (1)
    3) if I choose to downgrade/sidegrade to their "Express" package so as to have the same 6Mb service, I'd still have to sign a new contract.

I pointed out that that made no sense at all and that they were encouraging their current customers to leave them. Then I asked to speak to her supervisor.

He got on and said the policy has changed and that:

1) Everyone on the ultra 6mb package will be upgraded to 12Mb on 1 June;
    2) You can downgrade/sidegrade at that time and you'll pay €10 less per month;
    3) You can't get the upgrade from 6Mb to 12Mb before 1 June. He seemed to be implying that if you upgrade from the lower or middle packages to 12Mb, you can get it right now but that otherwise you'd have to wait until 1 June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

274102449.png

274203717.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

Would those of you so helpfully posting those speedtest.net caps like to tell us how you socially engineered getting upgraded? What magic words did you say to the people on the other end of the phone?

And were you upgrading from the current 6Mb package?

Advertisement