Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC: "Faster Speeds coming, Summer 2008"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Ernie Ball wrote: »
    Would those of you so helpfully posting those speedtest.net caps like to tell us how you socially engineered getting upgraded? What magic words did you say to the people on the other end of the phone?

And were you upgrading from the current 6Mb package?

i was on the 6 meg package and i rang up about the upgrade , the girl i was talking to in sales was not giving me the upgrade so i told here to cancel the account . when i got through to them the lad asked why i was getting rid of NTL and he said there was no need to cancel as he would give me the upgrade straight away.

a few moments later and i was on the 12 meg package :D

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭valdigre

I just phoned them and a guy told me, that the upgrade will be "automatically" performed in 2 weeks time...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I rang the Customer Support line twice rying to get upgraded to 12mb and both times they told me it wasn't possible and I'd have to wait for June. I then rang the premium PC Support number - who immediately rang me back - and was up to 12Mb in a few minutes of talking with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

And June is such a long way away ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

IrishTLR wrote: »
    And June is such a long way away ?
    :D My thoughts exactly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

Hyzepher wrote: »
    I rang the Customer Support line twice rying to get upgraded to 12mb and both times they told me it wasn't possible and I'd have to wait for June. I then rang the premium PC Support number - who immediately rang me back - and was up to 12Mb in a few minutes of talking with them.

I f'kin hate that sh1t :mad:

congrats tho, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Yeah it is rather quite annoying, but as has been said before at this stage you may as well just wait. I only wish now that UPC would make up their minds and let us know if we will automatically be upgradded or not. I know initially they were saying that we would have to submit a form for it to happen, but then there have been a few people over the last few days saying that CS told them they would automatically be upgraded come June. Perhaps a few of the people in the know with regards UPC could subtley let us know/tell us straight .

Cheers
    Chris.

As far as I know chris they haven't changed their minds about having to submit a request to be upgraded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭coghlac3

Just rang customer support, and two miracles in one.

First - no hold time straight to person on phone.

Second - told him I wanted bandwidth doubled, I was put on hold for about fifteen seconds and then told it was done and would be ready in a half hour.

Stuck in work at the moment and can't wait to test my connection speed.

Thanks all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Im a fairly new NTL customer, signed up for the 6 meg service (Express). Rang up last night and asked how much it would cost to go on the 12 meg one (Ultra). 10 extra a month, was upgraded by the next morning.

I know its a different thing, but it does work :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭Mech1

phoned customer support today 1908 i think, upgraded straight away no problem from 6mb to 12 well done ntl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Mech1 wrote: »
    phoned customer support today 1908 i think, upgraded straight away no problem from 6mb to 12 well done ntl.

Rang 1908 now to get upgrade and was told end of June for existing customers:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I rand and told the guy that friends in the estate had it and was upgraded 10 mins later.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 sandra-tallaght

Does anyone know when UPC will be doing broadband on Blessington Road, just beside Jobstown in Tallaght.
    I had them in my last flat at 3mb and was so happy with it, but they told me they haven't moved up this far yet in regards to the BB.

Now I setup IrishBroadband, got it the other day, as their ads make you believe their speeds are so TRULY FAST.. What a big ****ing lie!

I just done a speedtest, and guess what my download speed is?

70Kb/s!!!! Unbelievable, just a tiny bit better than dial up, last night it was 50kb/s..

I am in shock that they can advertise on the radio like that when they are blatantly lying. I have nowhere near 1MB download speed. And the signal bar is always at 1, and it goes upto 8.

Anyone know anything, about either question?? I'm thinking about going with PErlico NOW, OR Eircom?? Any advice on who'd be best??

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

it's all about your attitude on the phone with them. if you just accept what they say you won't be upgraded. i told them a friend who i recommended thei service to got an upgrade having called 1908 and i asked why i didn't get one. told him it was unfair that they are giving preferential treatment to select customers. he went off to check if it was 'possible' and then told me he'd try do it but wasn't sure if it would work. Anyways a few mins later i had double the speed. Just don't take no for an answer.

Cheers Dingdong. Now I have to go and try and find my details to log into the site :( .

Cheers Dingdong. Now I have to go and try and find my details to log into the site :( .

You can always try what alot of other boards users have done and chance your arm try get it a little early Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 12,693 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

yeah I kind of got thick with your one saying it wasn't fair that I was paying for the top package yet I wasn't getting it and spoofing on about being a loyal customer and they were treating me like rubbish, she then went with the hold on a second and came back with the reboot in 20 minutes and I had my 12meg, I think most people go ok I'll wait, you have to pay hardball with them. Anyway 1st June wonder will it be mass switch on and will the few that are already on 12 meg notice a drop in performance?

DingDong wrote: »
    You can always try what alot of other boards users have done and chance your arm try get it a little early Chris

I am not really that bothered. I am happy enough to wait a few weeks for this. I just was not sure if we still had to submit the form or not.

Althuogh now people seem to be saying that its the end of June now , rather then the beginning which was originally mentioned ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

Got upgraded this morning, rang 1908 amd 20 mins. later went from 3 to 6mb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

When you called 1908 did you go to Tech Support Broadband or another line?

I tried last night, got a lady who was totally baffled by anything i said, sounded like she was about to have a panic attack. She logged a call, got a voice mail today telling me that it will be rolled out in June.

Just wanted to know exactly which line ye were trying, i will hangup if i get someone clueless next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 cr1272

If you've been upgraded, have you actually tested the new speed?

I'm still on 6mb far as I know, and I did a speed test lastnight, and was under 1mb! At one point, my upload speed was quicker than my download!

Maybe by getting upgraded to 12mb, I might actually get 6mb :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I did a speed test the other night and got 768k down. 246k up. I'm on 6Mb. This must be UPC getting ready and despite planning this for months, still messing it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭caoimhemo

I was just on to them on the phone- only on hold for 6 mins, They will be automatically upgrading all 6mb lines to 12 mb in the next 2 weeks and at no extra cost, thats not bad coming from a company with not the best reputation for customer service,Maybe they've been looking at this site :)
    Although I think you may have to call them to go from 3-6mb but that doesnt cost any extra either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Predzie

Anybody had problems with routing and time outs since they started this upgrade ?

Im in clonskeagh area and connection is pretty worthless atm

6mb package too.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭akadesign

So its the 1st of June, when will we see NTL roll out the new speeds to exsisting customers, Today? Getting annoyed waiting at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

Just did a quick check on my 6mb connection,..speed test results as usual 5.96mb, rebooted the modem & ran test again but no change :( a well it is ntl/upc after all :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭akadesign

Me too did some speed tests then a reboot and nothing, I was somehow thinking I would be magically upgraded today!! Does anyone know when there rolling this out they say June on their website, but this could be June the 30th for all we know...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

the last time they did a speed upgrade I had to call & tell them to upgrade my connection,..this was 2 weeks after the date they publicised, there did not seem to be any coherent upgrade system in use at all,...:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Presumably it wouldn't be done on the Sunday of a bank holiday weekend in any case.

Advertisement