Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC: "Faster Speeds coming, Summer 2008"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

yep, probably not enough staff around to deal with the inevitable deluge of complaints, rebooting modems etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

Moriarty wrote: »
    Presumably it wouldn't be done on the Sunday of a bank holiday weekend in any case.
    I would have thought a bank holiday weekend would be an ideal time to start the upgrade,....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

When the company's operating on a skeleton staff?

Middle of the night on a weekday is usually the handiest time to do stuff like this since you'll have everyone in work the next day if anything goes wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

Jesus CHRIST I hate NTL. My internet went down from 8 PM last night (saturday) and only just cam back 40 mins ago at 2pm (sunday)

I was thinking hey this must be it, the upgrade must be coming in. Nope. Same ol' ****in' speeds. Way to go NTL you have me at the end of my god damned tether.

</rant>

Lucan area btw, did anyone else experience downtime yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pavelpro

Dublin 15, Stop working yesterday around 8-9... still down

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Predzie

Mine went down about 30 mins ago and is still down [Have 2 broadbands in the house] When it comes back it better be 12 mb ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Predzie

ahahaha

Just rang up the 1908 number and was onto a guy called <removed>. He first told me that there was nothing he could do because i had to submit a form. I told him i did that weeks ago....

He then told me I'd have to wait for people from sales to phone me because im already on the 6mb package. I asked why and he baffled on about how 6 was different from 3 or w/e

I got a bit arsey with him and hung up pretty much

Litterally 20 seconds later, I phoned the premium number and was onto a guy with a clue. He told me that the modem would reboot itself and you'll be on 12mb then.

Thanks for your help <removed> you useless cnut...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Predzie banned for naming an employee.. and being an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭akadesign

Rang the 1908 number and told them I had signed the form in months ago, and told them I was generally unhappy with the way they've rolled this out and that I wanted to be upgraded today, then they gave me a load of excuses about testing etc and said it could be a couple of weeks before I'm upgraded.

I think the guy I was talking to didnt have the power or knowhow to do it, is there any other number I could ring?

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭illicit007

I would also like to know the phone number to call.

I'm not really keen on filling in the form on the UPC website as it states you are entering another 12 month contract.

• Advertisement

akadesign wrote: »
    Rang the 1908 number and told them I had signed the form in months ago, and told them I was generally unhappy with the way they've rolled this out and that I wanted to be upgraded today, then they gave me a load of excuses about testing etc and said it could be a couple of weeks before I'm upgraded.

I think the guy I was talking to didnt have the power or knowhow to do it, is there any other number I could ring?
    I got the same reply today, sometime over the next 2 weeks, they say the'll send me an email instructing me to power cycle the modem when the time comes,...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

lensman wrote: »
    I got the same reply today, sometime over the next 2 weeks, they say the'll send me an email instructing me to power cycle the modem when the time comes,...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Oh really, maybe there not upgrading people as easily as before, I even threatened to close my account and he just said 'oh okay' :eek: two weeks is ridiculous I filled out the upgrade form 2 months ago...

akadesign wrote: »
    Oh really, maybe there not upgrading people as easily as before, I even threatened to close my account and he just said 'oh okay' :eek: two weeks is ridiculous I filled out the upgrade form 2 months ago...
    months ago,..same here,..lets not forget it's ntl we are dealing with & not an efficient service provider..:mad: also since new BB customers have been getting the €40 12mb package since the 1st April and I'm paying €40 for my 6mb package I will be requesting the €10 per month deduction until they upgrade me, after all since April the 6mb package is €30 per month & I am paying €40.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Mencius

Ring the premium broadband support and you should get it in 5 minutes, don't even have to power cycle the modem.
    Number is 1550924124. its .95 cent from a landline but you should only be on for 2 mins max.

Mencius wrote: »
    Ring the premium broadband support and you should get it in 5 minutes, don't even have to power cycle the modem.
    Number is 1550924124. its .95 cent from a landline but you should only be on for 2 mins max.
    totally crazy stuff, I just did what you said & yes after the verifed a few details he did the upgrade remotely & would take no more than 15mins,....what a total shambles :confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

since new BB customers have been getting the €40 12mb package since the 1st April and I'm paying €40 for my 6mb package I will be requesting the €10 per month deduction until they upgrade me, after all since April the 6mb package is €30 per month & I am paying €40.

This is what gets me the most. I don't mind offers for new customers but to keep the loyal customers paying more is just wrong. They have an amazing ability to annoy their customers with this kind of thing. I really wonder what sort of marketing basket case comes up with ideas like that. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭digitalninja

I have been struggling with the idiots on the 1908 number for 2 weeks since they botched my install. I still have no internet.

They have lied to me about ringing me back 4 times and I have had agents disconnect me when I asked for their name.
    NTL is the worst tech support provider I have ever come across and I've been in IT for 10 years.

I have now called that premium number, got straight through to a helpful eastern european lad who said his supervisor will phone me back when he gets back from lunch.

Let's hope he does.

I have been struggling with the idiots on the 1908 number for 2 weeks since they botched my install. I still have no internet.

They have lied to me about ringing me back 4 times and I have had agents disconnect me when I asked for their name.
    NTL is the worst tech support provider I have ever come across and I've been in IT for 10 years.

I have now called that premium number, got straight through to a helpful eastern european lad who said his supervisor will phone me back when he gets back from lunch.

Let's hope he does.
    ok as I said I called the premeum number 15mins ago & just rebooted my modem & wireless router, hey presto I'm now on the 12mb package,..to confirm this I downloaded a 10mb file from rapidshare & was getting a speed of 1.458mb per sec,...very happy with that, lets clarify a few things,...the people who take your call are not to blame,..my sons job is customer support for one of the major landline phone companys here in Ireland & you would not belive the kind of crap thats handed down from their supervisors/bosses, the ethos is to try to find an excuse why they should not be helpful whilst the the poor guy/girl your speaking too would just love to sort out your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I rang their customer service yesterday after having no internet access all weekend. The internet is back up now but still running at 3mb/s. The guy on the phone told me I have to fill out a form for the upgrade, which is not what they were saying last April.

I don't have a landline to ring that premium number although I am sure NTL would be only too delighted to sell on to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭digitalninja

ok as I said I called the premeum number 15mins ago & just rebooted my modem & wireless router, hey presto I'm now on the 12mb package,..to confirm this I downloaded a 10mb file from rapidshare & was getting a speed of 1.458mb per sec,...very happy with that, lets clarify a few things,...the people who take your call are not to blame,..my sons job is customer support for one of the major landline phone companys here in Ireland & you would not belive the kind of crap thats handed down from their supervisors/bosses, the ethos is to try to find an excuse why they should not be helpful whilst the the poor guy/girl your speaking too would just love to sort out your problem.

That's why I asked to speak to the Supervisor who promised me he would take ownership of the issue on the 21st May and has since not called me, emailed me or even made any progress on my issue as far as I can see.
    I have faxed, called and email them numerous times without response.

The lads answering the phone i have no issue with, it's the supervisors who don't see the problem through to completion when it's escalated.
    I work with tech support supervisors in my job, if any of them acted like this I would request they were fired as it's bad for clients and bad for business.

Business 101: Give the customer what they want, in this case I wanted a fast resolution to a fairly minor issue of installing my upc broadband.

They have made a complete balls of it and because of them i am unable to work efficiently from home, which is the whole pont of ordering a 12mb line from these clowns.
    I'de love to give my business to smart who i was with in my other addresses for 3 years but unfortunately they're not in my area.

Any issue I ever had with smart was rectified by simply making a post on their forums.
    So I'll re-iterate, UPC are the best deal in town where I am, but their customer service management should all be sacked.

• Advertisement

That's why I asked to speak to the Supervisor who promised me he would take ownership of the issue on the 21st May and has since not called me, emailed me or even made any progress on my issue as far as I can see.
    I have faxed, called and email them numerous times without response.

The lads answering the phone i have no issue with, it's the supervisors who don't see the problem through to completion when it's escalated.
    I work with tech support supervisors in my job, if any of them acted like this I would request they were fired as it's bad for clients and bad for business.

Business 101: Give the customer what they want, in this case I wanted a fast resolution to a fairly minor issue of installing my upc broadband.

They have made a complete balls of it and because of them i am unable to work efficiently from home, which is the whole pont of ordering a 12mb line from these clowns.
    I'de love to give my business to smart who i was with in my other addresses for 3 years but unfortunately they're not in my area.

Any issue I ever had with smart was rectified by simply making a post on their forums.
    So I'll re-iterate, UPC are the best deal in town where I am, but their customer service management should all be sacked.
    i would add sales dept to the list of w*****s, the phone company I refer to has no inter department comms what so ever, my son has taken calls from OAP's asking why the are paying for somthing called broadband !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

what time does the premium rate close at ? do you need any other info like mac numbers?

Just rang the premium line, and the nice man said no problem, should be upgraded in 15 mins:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11 bobhoskins

I just sent them a snotty email at 9am this morning, saying it was intolerable to treat their existing customer base like this, I was going to change my tv to sky and my broadband to Smart if they couldn't mail me back and explain why they were treating me like this.... they did email me back - to tell me they upgraded my line, and apologised!

Not quite as fast as a phonecall, but it did work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

just rang... nice guy,,, on the phone for only 30 seconds... same as the rest .. 15 min he said ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Onyx_1

Premium number - sorted

279367932.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Dougals Daddy

Got upgraded to 12 mb, worked great for one day, has been down since. After several calls to 1908 I was told that I could expect the service to be regularly off for the next month due to upgrade work....Time to pack it in maybe!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭KoemansCC

NTL left a message on my phone today that my 3MB package had been upgraded to 6MB, ran a speedtest check and sure enough 5.97MB download and approx 0.5MB upload...happy days

Have to say I have never had many problems with NTL broadband or cable packages in Galway and I have been a customer for 4 years, the only problem I had was with the MMDS signal but once it was switched over to cable, no problems...the max download speed was always the maxed out at 3MB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 mickeyzub

For anyone who's interested, I called this premium number and they do not do automatic upgrades to 12Mb/s (currently I have 6Mb) any longer. After talking to both technical support and billing I was told that the only way now to upgrade is filling that online form, which imposes 12 month contract extension. In this case I told them that I would like them to change my billing from 40E to 30E to reflect the current service I'm getting. They said it can be done for free until the end of June and from the 1st July it'll cost 10E, because it's a downgrade. It's a joke, it's not a downgrade as I'm already on 6Mb, it just has a different name now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Lemminkainen

How fast is it to get setup? Do they need to send out an engineer? of=r can you set it up yourself?

Advertisement