Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC: "Faster Speeds coming, Summer 2008"

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Just an FYI .

I've been speaking with UPC and they state that those people who were upgraded by phoning the regular/premium support number should not have been upgraded. This was a case of the Service Reps not following the rules. They got a slap across the wrist for doing so.

The only legitimate method is to fill in the form located at:
    http://www.upc.ie/contact/upgradebroadband/

You can however fill in the form, and then call to get it pushed through more quickly.

The form is needed as you are effectively signing up for a new 12 month contract, and this can't be done over the phone.

Those who got wrongly upgraded over the phone currently do not have the new contract with UPC and therefore could cancel their broadband service without penalty. :D

Oh, and if you live in Castleknock, you'd be lucky if you get connected at all. There is a known 'noise issue' in the area and they can't track down the cause. There is no timeline for resolution, so be grateful if you get dialup speeds over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

How fast is it to get setup? Do they need to send out an engineer? of=r can you set it up yourself?

They change a value on the system at their end and it's done within seconds. No engineer, no reboot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

They change a value on the system at their end and it's done within seconds. No engineer, no reboot.

While this is true, I rebooted my modem 15 minutes after the upgrade and it was up (to twelve at the time) it may have been coincidence but it's probably no harm to try a reboot. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LeperKing

Oh, and if you live in Castleknock, you'd be lucky if you get connected at all. There is a known 'noise issue' in the area and they can't track down the cause. There is no timeline for resolution, so be grateful if you get dialup speeds over the next few weeks.

That's interesting, might explain why they have only enabled pockets of Castleknock.:mad:

LK

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

HI,

Just got a letter from UPC saying they were upgrading our area over the next few weeks, looked at their site and I can get phone 20MB broadband and unlimited local and national calls for waht I am paying smart.

I have the 6MB package with smart and the once there was a fault eircom fixed it within a day. And the customer service was always good.

The 20 MB looks tempting however I have a couple of questions?

Do UPC provide uncontended broadband

Do they trottle / filter any particular types of web usage

Can I take their broadband only and put blueface on the broadband.

Can I configure the POTS port on their router for blueface if I don't get their telephone.

Would you switch from smart to UPC

Any advice welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Just got a letter from UPC saying they were upgrading our area over the next few weeks, looked at their site and I can get phone 20MB broadband and unlimited local and national calls for waht I am paying smart.

I have the 6MB package with smart and the once there was a fault eircom fixed it within a day. And the customer service was always good.

Do UPC provide uncontended broadband - officially I think so but mine has always given full speed downloading. Always.

Do they trottle / filter any particular types of web usage Not that I noticed but I'm not a big torrent or game guy

Can I take their broadband only and put blueface on the broadband.Think so but the deals get better the more you take so may not be cheaper than smart if you take BB only

Can I configure the POTS port on their router for blueface if I don't get their telephone. not sure but its a standard motorola surfboard cable modem so I dont see why not. could be wrong though.

Would you switch from smart to UPC My UPC is great but can go down maybe once every 3-4 months for a few hours. Really fast but saying that they're both unlimited and unless your in a serious rush with your downloads then 6MB is still very fast. I have 10Mb UPC at the moment and many times the limiting factor is the server not my broadband! Smart are great and so are UPC. UPC probably will upgrade speeds again though and you could see 40MB. Probably no need for that all the same. I get the feeling Smart would be easier on very heavy useage too but only a guess no basis for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

gpf101 wrote: »

Do UPC provide uncontended broadband - officially I think so but mine has always given full speed downloading. Always.

Do they trottle / filter any particular types of web usage Not that I noticed but I'm not a big torrent or game guy

Can I take their broadband only and put blueface on the broadband.Think so but the deals get better the more you take so may not be cheaper than smart if you take BB only

Can I configure the POTS port on their router for blueface if I don't get their telephone. not sure but its a standard motorola surfboard cable modem so I dont see why not. could be wrong though.

Would you switch from smart to UPC My UPC is great but can go down maybe once every 3-4 months for a few hours. Really fast but saying that they're both unlimited and unless your in a serious rush with your downloads then 6MB is still very fast. I have 10Mb UPC at the moment and many times the limiting factor is the server not my broadband! Smart are great and so are UPC. UPC probably will upgrade speeds again though and you could see 40MB. Probably no need for that all the same. I get the feeling Smart would be easier on very heavy useage too but only a guess no basis for it.
    I have the 12mb package & with the right tweeking & good download software I am getting 2.3mbps downloads speeds on a regular basis,..usually settles around 1.9 ~2.1mbps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭great

12m was automatically upped to 20 since you already filled out the online form

great wrote: »
    12m was automatically upped to 20 since you already filled out the online form
    I seem to be out of touch some what,...I knew nothing about a new speed upgrade, my connection was incresed from 6 to 12 mb about 2mths ago,

I use Blueface with UPC broadband. While UPC will give a better monthly cost, if you use your landline often, Blueface will work out cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Do you use the ATA port on the UPC router, or have you pluged in a blueface device into the Cable Router.

dingding wrote: »
    Do you use the ATA port on the UPC router, or have you pluged in a blueface device into the Cable Router.

No, you can't configure that. You need a separate ATA. The phone ports on the modem are locked.

I got one of these awhile back & they work great, I on UPC BB & I used the blueface €1 free account to test out the blueface voip service,..excellent

lensman wrote: »
    I got one of these awhile back & they work great, I on UPC BB & I used the blueface €1 free account to test out the blueface voip service,..excellent

I think you're better of paying extra for a combined router / ATA, it has more features than an ATA alone and can hook up more devices. That's just my opinion though. :)

paulm17781 wrote: »
    I think you're better of paying extra for a combined router / ATA, it has more features than an ATA alone and can hook up more devices. That's just my opinion though. :)
    I also had just bought a D-Link wireless 802.11n router so that ATA was my best choice.

lensman wrote: »
    I also had just bought a D-Link wireless 802.11n router so that ATA was my best choice.

In that case I'd agree. OP, be aware that you can get combined router / ATAs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭akenny01

heya ppl . does anyone know the fastest speed broadband available in ENNISCORTHY CO.WEXFORD ? i really wana get rid of 3mb and move to at least 8

Advertisement