Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC: "Faster Speeds coming, Summer 2008"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

I find there service very good better then
    digiweb any day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭great

to the above if u get ntl broadband and no tv u have to pay an extra 6 euro a month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

120gb!? ****ing class! I'd be almost as happy to keep me 7mb'ish line and just have a cap and upload increase :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Great news, I was likeing very much at the referenceing of 24 Mb BB , although I doubt that will happen anytime soon . I have to admit the limit is higher then I thought it would be which is very pleasing hopefully the upspeed will be just as good :) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

mang87 wrote: »
    120gb!? ****ing class! I'd be almost as happy to keep me 7mb'ish line and just have a cap and upload increase :P
    Have to say I'm more happy with the cap increase than the speed increase too. The 40gig cap was brutal .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I haven't been with Chorus for about 6 to 8 months for broadband. Does anyone know if they have "fixed" their network yet? Especially around the Naas area? If so, I might consider going back for these new packages.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

If they can offer the faster speeds to new customers in April, why do the rest of us have to wait untill June for the rollout to start:mad:

Funnily enough this is the first time I have been upset about my NTL BB, and I got it when the first rolled it out in Tallaght all those years ago, 512kb down was fast back then:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,693 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

mmm will our current modems have to be swapped out? I have the Blue NTL cable modem, I wonder is that able to take 12meg?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Well i just got installed a few weeks ago and they supplied a scientific Atlanta model EPC 2203 http://www.scientificatlanta.com/customers/Source/7008322.pdf

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

I think thats an ambit 250, they are swopping them out for Scientific Atlantic with voip ports.

• Advertisement

Great so it will take weeks to arrange a time for them to show up and swap out the modems :(

i have a motorola SB5101E will i need to change my modem?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

stanley1 wrote: »
    I think thats an ambit 250, they are swopping them out for Scientific Atlantic with voip ports.

Hmm,, can we use the voip ports for blueface :)

I was wondering the same thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Conchúr

Hey all,
    I was just looking for a bit of advice. I'm about to get broadband and, with these new packages, i might as well get one. For about the same price i can get smarts new package with 4mbs or ntl's with 12mbs.

The smart one though has no contention and no limit.

Any one any experience with either company? any reason that I shouldn't go for one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

No, there is nothing to configure on the modem, you can't even get to the VOIP settings. I was hoping same. :(

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Conchúr wrote: »
    Hey all,
    I was just looking for a bit of advice. I'm about to get broadband and, with these new packages, i might as well get one. For about the same price i can get smarts new package with 4mbs or ntl's with 12mbs.

The smart one though has no contention and no limit.

Any one any experience with either company? any reason that I shouldn't go for one?

I've had both (SmartVison currently, NTL previously).

Smart BB just works, it is very low latency, no caps and they don't throttle P2P, I'm currently on their 4mb SmartVision service.

NTL, as of about 9 months ago, I had 6mb. It was good but not great, you would get 6mb, but the latency was relatively high as they routed through the Netherlands (about 80 - 100 ms), they have a cap (though it never effected me) and they were throttling P2P making it almost useless.

This may have changed now, but I find Smart's service to be better and more reliable. What is the point in having 12mb when they throttle P2P?

BTW when I first got Smart, I was getting 12m/1m for a few months, before they changed my password and I only get 4m/400k, but to be honest, other then the upload speed, I actually find very little difference between 4m and 12m.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Conchúr

So your opinion is to go for smart so? think that might be the way forward alright...

Only problem is that I'm renting and i think the UPC contract will travel with me whereas smart make it very clear that if you move it's a new contract

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Running both a Smart 4Mb connection and a 6Mb UPC connection at the moment. The Smart connection gives 4Mb constant, day or night, and they don't throttle anything as mentioned above aswell as having no download caps. Latency is usually very good with Smart for gaming. Assuming you're in a smart area, and your line is of decent quality, then you can upgrade your speeds for extra per month.

UPC on the other hand, although pings are (now) generally excellent and they don't usually enforce download limits, they do throttle P2P traffic heavily, often to the point that it just won't connect or connects at silly speeds in the single KB/s range. Basically if you do a lot of P2P stuff then you may aswell not have a 12Mb connection with them because you'll never max it. I'd imagine this'll be a problem with them in the future - a lot of P2P stuff is going to crop up in the next few years over here - Channel 4 on Demand, Sky Anytime and BBC's iPlayer all use P2P technology at the moment. Due to the throttling it can take hours to download a single 30 minute video with UPC - you can do it in about 30 minutes on Smart. VOD services (such as Joost or VuDu in the States) and even some online gaming are now using P2P to transmit data to and from users so throttling will have an effect on this.

Regarding contracts, I think smart will let you carry your contract over to the new place, once the new place has a phone line which is on one of their enabled exchanges. Which is also one thing to be wary about with UPC - not all of their cabled areas in Dublin are broadband enabled so you may not be able to carry your service over to the new place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Kensington wrote: »
    even some online gaming are now using P2P to transmit data to and from users so throttling will have an effect on this.

Yeah this is what pisses me off big time! :mad:

Go for smart if you can.

• Advertisement

Then done use P2P
    get with the times
    if your into that sort
    of thing :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 hippee

They seem to be upgrading firmware on the modem's also as i got a "management" message in my Modem logs and new firmware.

I believe they use Motorola, Ambit and SA eMTA's which i see mentioned here
    and all of these will handle the new speed increases of up to 12mb as mentioned on tech sites.

I see the new packages will be 1mb, 6mb and 12mb.;)

Lets hope they get a wireless option soon as all my mates are in the sticks with crap Digiweb connections !

crap digiweb connections lol iv just made a new friend :D

Whats the new firmware number?? I'm on 2.113.1000 .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

hippee wrote: »
    They seem to be upgrading firmware on the modem's also as i got a "management" message in my Modem logs and new firmware.

I believe they use Motorola, Ambit and SA eMTA's which i see mentioned here
    and all of these will handle the new speed increases of up to 12mb as mentioned on tech sites.

I see the new packages will be 1mb, 6mb and 12mb.;)

Lets hope they get a wireless option soon as all my mates are in the sticks with crap Digiweb connections !
    Sounds like a stealthy UPC employee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

ricey wrote: »
    Then done use P2P
    get with the times
    if your into that sort
    of thing :p

You don't have a choice as its built into some games, anyway P2P is the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah, world of warcraft for instance uses BitTorrent to deliver updates.

Is there a UPC coverage map available anywhere? I can't find anything on their website that tells where its available!

christophicus

That firmware you posted is exactly what was downloaded to mine. Lets hope its for better performance or increased speeds / security.

:D:pac:

AntiVirus wrote: »
    You don't have a choice as its built into some games, anyway P2P is the future.

AntiVirus don't be so paranoid as all info i provided is already in this thread...Do you work for UPC maybe ?:cool:

You do seemed concerned !

• Advertisement

Hmm ok, well we got NTL VOIP without anyone telling me so we now have the Scientifica Atlantica modem ( cisco ftw !! )

Advertisement