Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC: "Faster Speeds coming, Summer 2008"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

Can anyone confirm is this the latest firmware on scientific atlanta epc2203 voip modem.

epc2203-E10-5-v202r1262-070912c.bin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

hippee wrote: »
    AntiVirus don't be so paranoid as all info i provided is already in this thread...Do you work for UPC maybe ?:cool:

You do seemed concerned !

Keep smoking what ever you are? You must be living on another planet, try re-reading my post if you can see it clearly. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

stanley1 wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm is this the latest firmware on scientific atlanta epc2203 voip modem.

Will do when I get home ( Sunday ) . Although I doubt they have released a new firmware since they have only started rolling them out in the last month or two.

I had a quick look at it yesterday and it was completely different to what someone posted up here before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

stanley1 wrote: »

That's what I have anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

Will do when I get home ( Sunday ) . Although I doubt they have released a new firmware since they have only started rolling them out in the last month or two.

I got one in June 07 when I signed up to ntl phone.

My ver is:
    epc2203-P10-5-v202r1257-060605

Haven't found anywhere where I can d/l upgraded firmware

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

IrlJidel wrote: »

My ver is:

They probably upload all firmware updates, as there is no provision on SA modem to access updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Aye, firmware updates would be handled internally by UPC systems.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

Digiwebs newest Newsletter for DSL PRO Customers:

Over the next few of months you'll be able to surf and download much quicker.
    Digiweb will increase your broadband speed and in many cases
    double the speed of your connection - absolutely free of charge.

Current Speed: DSL PRO 4Mb
    New Speed: Up to 10Mb!

We will confirm the full details of this exciting upgrade in the coming months.

Up to, lovely :mad:

when i first registered with them years ago i was on 1Mb, then they upgraded me to 2Mb, 3Mb and currently im on 4Mb. I hate this "up to" bull

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

But they say up to for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Don't know if this has been posted. I remember someone asking about caps and upload speeds. Here they are:

Download Speed - Upload Speed -Download allowances - Cost

1Mb - 128Kb - 20GB - €20
    6Mb - 512Kb - 60GB - €30
    12Mb - 1Mb - 120GB - €40

All UPC Broadband products will include up to 15 email addresses with 50MB of mailbox storage and 300MB of Webspace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

slade_x wrote: »
    Digiwebs newest Newsletter for DSL PRO Customers:

Up to, lovely :mad:

when i first registered with them years ago i was on 1Mb, then they upgraded me to 2Mb, 3Mb and currently im on 4Mb. I hate this "up to" bull

It's "up to" because every line in the country will support a different maximum speed. Depending on your line quality you may happily synch at 10Mbit (so you'll get 10Mbit) or you'll synch at some point lower than that. It's completely dependant on the quality and length of the phone line from your house to your exchange so the ISP can't do anything to influence it unfortunately.

Anyway, this is OT, lets stick to UPC increases in this thread :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

NTL are great when it just works, and getting a 12mb line over my existing 6mb is just fantastic!

However, you'll know all about it when something goes wrong. Getting through to the Broadband Technical Support Team is near impossible (I hear they are hiring new techies though). When you do it's several weeks until they can have an engineer out to you.

My broadband was down for over a week 2 months ago, and as we speak it has been down for 6 days so far.

Both times I was lucky enough that NTL employees saw my posts on this board and very kindly helped me out. But if I did not have that luxury god knows how long I would have had to have waited.

I've heard other people on other providers have a 24 hour response... that would be nice!

I find UPC broadband excellent. True when it goes down it is very annoying but I make a point of getting compensation for down time, not so much for the money but on principle. They always pay it which is something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

What kind of compensation have you got off them?

silvine wrote: »
    What kind of compensation have you got off them?

Just what I deserve, no charge for the downtime. The most downtime I have ever had is two days but if it goes down, I am not paying for it. So far they have always obliged which is something I believe most don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

I'm in Tyrrelstown and the ping times are usually over 200ms unless its very late at night. The speeds vary at different times of the day.

So when they up the speeds to 12mb it could make my BB even worse.
    I'd prefer the doubled the speed of the BB into the estate.
    Anyone from UPC like to comment on the oversubscription in TT?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

IrlJidel wrote: »

My ver is:

Mine is also epc2203-P10-5-v202r1257-060605.bin and I also got mine installed in June 07.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 BLissIRL

:cool:i dont know why peeps complain about ntl, if you use private trackers then ntl speeds will max out i never go over the 40 gb download a month on 6 mb line .
    I always get my line maxed day or night no matter what time (----download only they do traffic shape upload to private trackers making it hard to keep a ratio )712kbs solid from start to finish so a movie (700MB)is only 30 mins download at the min. / (on one 6 mb line)

I have no complaints about smart only with the incident with eircom a while back but they are all back in bed again now.(they provide some amazing business solutions fibre and so on)

So get in the know encrypt and go with private tracker none of this isp watching you malarky either if it comes into play.

BLissIRL wrote: »
    :cool:i dont know why peeps complain about ntl, if you use private trackers then ntl speeds will max out i never go over the 40 gb download a month on 6 mb line .
    I always get my line maxed day or night no matter what time (----download only they do traffic shape upload to private trackers making it hard to keep a ratio )712kbs solid from start to finish so a movie (700MB)is only 30 mins download at the min. / (on one 6 mb line)

That's all well and good but a lot of people
    a) don't know how to encrypt
    b) don't have invites to private trackers
    and
    c) it is still unfair of NTL to limit what you can and can't download especially considering how many organisations, gaming sites etc. use FTP

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

That's all well and good but a lot of people
    a) don't know how to encrypt
    b) don't have invites to private trackers
    and
    c) it is still unfair of NTL to limit what you can and can't download especially considering how many organisations, gaming sites etc. use FTP

It's unfair that NTL dictate what does and doesn't happen on their own network? I don't agree with your point purely because it's their network. They are giving you a gateway to the Internet. NTL are not the internet. If you don't like their terms, move on. I did.

What I will agree with is that they should be open and honest about what they will not allow and what restrictions they enforce on their provided connections..

• Advertisement

IrishTLR wrote: »
    It's unfair that NTL dictate what does and doesn't happen on their own network? I don't agree with your point purely because it's their network. They are giving you a gateway to the Internet. NTL are not the internet. If you don't like their terms, move on. I did.

What I will agree with is that they should be open and honest about what they will not allow and what restrictions they enforce on their provided connections..

Considering you normally sign a 12 month contract, moving on is not particularly easy. Going by the point that it's their network and they should control what happens, you could then argue that they should be able to monitor just what it is you are downloading - something clearly wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

you could then argue that they should be able to monitor just what it is you are downloading - something clearly wrong.

Every ISP has this ability.

IrishTLR wrote: »
    Every ISP has this ability.

They might have the ability but that doesn't mean they should enforce it. Should An Post be allowed to open our mail to see what we are sending and receiving?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Customs does, actually.

Customs don't open every single package coming into the country and there is a difference between data and actual physical goods which could possibly be drugs, not taxed etc.

Anyway its against European law for ISPs to examine everything we download: http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single10502

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

[QUOTE=BLissIRL;55482498So get in the know encrypt and go with private tracker none of this isp watching you malarky either if it comes into play.[/QUOTE]

If you knew how to encrypt properly you wouldn't have any problems with uploading. You know no more than the average torrent user. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭irishboyuk

quick question. when eircom roll out the faster speeds to customers will that mean that anyone that currently lives too far from the exchange will be able to get broadband.

i cannot get bb as im to far from exchange, my understanding is that the faster speeds will mean that the signal be be able to travel futher.. is this correct??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

irishboyuk wrote: »
    quick question. when eircom roll out the faster speeds to customers will that mean that anyone that currently lives too far from the exchange will be able to get broadband.

i cannot get bb as im to far from exchange, my understanding is that the faster speeds will mean that the signal be be able to travel futher.. is this correct??

Might be better off starting a new thread or joining an existing Eircom speed
    related thread than posting on a UPC/NTL one ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

So when is this going to happen? I have the 6mb package and am well happy with it as it is but 12/1 will just be prefect for me. Cant wait :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 irishangel

I had same problem,exceeding limits except they called me up. Its a load of crap cos you cant monitor your useage like you can with other providers.They said from May the 6Mg package is going to be raised to 120G. Will believe it when i see it

Advertisement