Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC: "Faster Speeds coming, Summer 2008"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

You can monitor your downloads with this handy program.

http://www.rokario.com/products/bandmon/2-0/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

silvine wrote: »
    You can monitor your downloads with this handy program.

http://www.rokario.com/products/bandmon/2-0/

There is no software that is going to even come close to the amount of bandwitdh you use. This service should be provided by the ISP.

Think about it. A common house hold may have:
    • One or two computers / laptops
    • PS3 and/or X-Box
    • VoIP [a proper one, not a usb connect to computer]
    • Maybe a network web cam.
    • Any host of other network devices hanging off the router.
    Now, can you or anyone provide a piece of software that will monitor traffic from all of these devices and any other devices [existing or to be invented]. I doubt it.

And no, that software you mentioned won't give you a true indication of the bandwitdh used. Even if it's 5% or 10% out, it could mean you still break your cap, while YOU think you don't.

To be accurate, this should be monitored from the ISP end.

I agree, the ISPs should provide you with some some of way of checking your monthly downloads, if they are capping it.

That software will at least give you some indication if about how close you are too your limit. It's better than nothing.

That software will at least give you some indication if about how close you are too your limit. It's better than nothing.

I would agree slightly to that. However, it only tracks traffic that goes through that PC. Also, depending on the software used, it might just count the download sizes rather than the throughput. Take for example, downloading a 10MB file. If you have 50% packet loss on average. It might take 15MB of bandwitdh [not including TCP overheads] to download that 10MB file. That's nowhere near an indication.

Also, that sort of software may give the non technical [which is the majority of users these days] a false sense of security. They will have no way to understand that they may be breaking their cap on a monthly basis when the software advised by UPC tells them that they are still within their limits.

Ultimately, the inability [technically, financially or just in-difference] of UPC to implement this service is the problem. Actually, I would guess that they already have such a system in place judging by the fact that they know how much bandwitdh each customer uses. They just don't provide a customer front end to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

i rang UPC this afternoon to enquire about getting their service in, and they told me that my estate is not yet set up for broadband, however, one or two house in my estate are.

I asked them does this mean its on its way and she said yes, but couldnt give me any idea of a date, just said try again in a few weeks.

anyone know if they are actually rolling out the product in the annacotty area of limerick?
    12mb sounds great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭donal.hunt

I believe their plan is to upgrade to 12Mbps and then 18Mbps sometime after that (wouldn't be surprised if it was based on subscriber numbers and return on investment)... (this was based on an engineer i talked to a while back).

The current modems support EuroDOCSIS 2.0 and should be able to offer speeds up to ~ 50Mbps download. UPC / chello are offering services up to 36 Mbit/s downstream and 18 Mbit/s upstream on other parts of Europe so I expect similar offerings will make their way here too... (numbers taken from wikipedia so take with a grain of salt).

NTL VOIP uses EuroPacketCable 1.0 which guarantees quality-of-service alongside the broadband and tv offerings (i.e. you get a dedicated channel for VOIP).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Has it been confirmed yet when the new speeds will be available?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

As far as I know new customers will be the first to get the speed upgrade and that is supposed to begin in April, Existing customers will be getting the increase some time after.

HOWEVER, last night I was getting around 10 Mb total using multiple downloads. This was at about 3 am . I am on the 6Mb package, so all you people on it should check out the speed you get from multiple downloads every now and then as it might be higher. I did a speedtest on speedtest.net after I got the files and I was getting just under 6 Mb ,so it would appear to only work with multiple downloads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I got the 6 Mb connection about 18 months ago and the modem i have is this small gray one that just has cable modem and NTL on it. I can't see a manufacturers name. Will i have to call them up to get a new modem or do will they do that automatically? Or do i even need a new modem? It says the software version is 2.113.1000

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

This was a nice download speed I got this morning:

394892315a7296694160o.jpg

Im on the 6mb in Galway - haven't tried multiple simultaneous downloads yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

I was told on the phone by UPC the the new usage caps come into effect from April the first even if the new speeds take a while longer to follow.

Can anybody confirm this 120GB sounds very nice.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

woot my speedtest is 12mb :0 upload still the same
    gotta go try get 12mb download now from some source.

253267145.png

*EDIT*

Nope still maxing out at 715kB/s so no upgrade yet :(
    done see why the speed test is so high do :?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Anyone seen or heard of their speeds being upped or someone on the new speeds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

paulm17781 wrote: »
    Anyone seen or heard of their speeds being upped or someone on the new speeds?

have they started giving the upgrades yet? i know they were working on the lines over the last few months but didnt know they were rolling them out yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

253228618.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

has it been upgraded?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Mine hasn't been upgraded. I have the 6MB service for more than a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mistmyr

I think i read that only new accounts are getting the new packages from this month,
    us old subs will have to wait till next month or maybe even June.
    Not sure where i seen this maybe further up this thread.....
    The least they could do is bring in the new caps while we wait for the speed increases,
    atleast we can DL in peace then :)

Misty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

New customers from tomorrow and all us poor old customers have to wait :( .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

DingDong wrote: »
    New customers from tomorrow and all us poor old customers have to wait :( .

Not very fair is it. Everyone should get the upgrades not just new customers :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 rover2mondeo

:D NTL 2MB

254277460.png

strange???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 rover2mondeo

even more :D:D

254289027.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

mickger wrote: »
    Not very fair is it. Everyone should get the upgrades not just new customers :mad:

I think its more of a test stage before they move everyone to the higher speeds. I'm sure they would love to do nothing more than flick that magic switch and double the speeds.

Ah yes the magic switch which moves from "Go Slow" to "Go Fast".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

The new speeds are on the website anyway. As I'm not home I can't check mine.

Linky

Chorus Customer Terms and Conditions
    NTL Customer Terms and Conditions
    UPC Customer Terns and Conditions

I would love to know why they have three different sets of T's&C's.

Broadband Value
    Download 1Mb
    Upload 128Kb
    Webspace 300MB
    Email addresses Up to 15
    Wireless Router €49.99
    Monthly offer Half Price
    Monthly Post Offer Price €20.00

Broadband Express
    Download 6Mb
    Upload 512Kb
    Webspace 300MB
    Email addresses Up to 15
    Wireless Router €49.99
    Monthly offer Half Price
    Monthly Post Offer Price €30.00

Broadband Ultra
    Download 12Mb
    Upload 1Mb
    Webspace 300MB
    Email addresses Up to 15
    Wireless Router Free
    Monthly offer Half Price
    Monthly Post Offer Price €40.00

On paper, these are amazing packages/ I'm just not convinced that they have fixed their network to be anywhere near reliable.

Incompetence seems to be the order of the day with these people. As I said before, I'll hold off until August / September to see how things go with other customers before I consider going back to them.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

So can anyone find out when these new speeds will come to existing customers?
    I know there are quite a few NTL employees on boards...

If it's going to be ages until e3xisting customers get it, I recon we make loads of noise until they switch us on! ;)

Zascar wrote: »
    So can anyone find out when these new speeds will come to existing customers?
    I know there are quite a few NTL employees on boards...

If it's going to be ages until e3xisting customers get it, I recon we make loads of noise until they switch us on! ;)

You are naive in thinking that making noise will get NTL / Chorus / UPC to do anything faster than what they want to. You think they listen to or care about their customers? :)

There are reasons they are giving this to new customers first. If they have to send out new modems for these new packages, then they will have the headache of dealing with the old modems. As previously mentioned, they may be just waiting to see how the new packages perform before doing a full roll out.

Either way, just sit back, relax [if you want, I don't care if you don't] and just wait. Simple as that. You will get it when you get it, not a second sooner.

• Advertisement

Ah yes the magic switch which moves from "Go Slow" to "Go Fast".

I'd be happy enough if they just flicked the magic "Go normal advertised speeds and nothing less" switch....

Advertisement