Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC: "Faster Speeds coming, Summer 2008"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 harvy

Whatsthisabout:
    "You are not being forced to take the 12 month contract if you read th rest of the statement on the UPC website it is an optional upgrade.
    In fact if you are happy to stay on the 6Mb pack it will now be 10 euro cheaper. Everybody wins I think"

You're lying Whatsthisabout. Change from Ultra 6mb to NEW Express 6mb will cost you 12-month contract.
    Check here: http://www.upc.ie/contact/upgradebroadband/
    Broadband Express 3MbBroadband Max 6Mb Preferred broadband speed:* NEW Broadband Express 6MbNEW Broadband Max 12Mb
    Every of these upgrade/downgrades COSTS you 12 mths contract with worse deal that new users are getting...
    That's also stupid what you're saying about cornflakes. When you have contract with mobile network after 1 year your getting even better deal that new customer. That's the way it should be because keeping existing customer is cheaper as they don't have to pay for installer's job and new equipment. But not for UPC:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

harvy wrote: »
    You're lying Whatsthisabout. Change from Ultra 6mb to NEW Express 6mb will cost you 12-month contract.
    (

Whoa, careful with your wording dude. :)

on the site it says
    upc.ie wrote:
    I understand that by upgrading to the new higher speed I am entering into a new 12 month contract. Increases from 3Mb to 6Mb or from 6Mb to 12Mb will not incur any extra costs. Any other changes will result in an increase to my billing amount.

That says "upgrading". I assume if I choose to stay on 6Mb I can with no contract. It only says upgrades result in new contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I am on the 6MB package at the moment. Do I have to apply to be upgraded to the 12MB package? What happens if I do nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Whatsthisabout

@harvy

The example you have given there is someone who is on 3mb express getting the upgrade to the 6mb express

The example I gave is someone on the 6mb ultra Downgrading to the new 6mb express

Fair enough the Kellogg's example is crude but the underlying fact is that we have all received a sign up offer at some stage so to say new customers are getting a better deal is not necessarily true,

They are getting a deal but a new customer deal it cant be compared to an existing customer deal. If you already have they service what good is a free install to you

Can you give an example of how mobile exsisting contracts are better then new contracts

@harvy
    They are getting a deal but a new customer deal it cant be compared to an existing customer deal. If you already have they service what good is a free install to you
    Oh it may be compared:) New customers getting TV+Broadband ultra are getting 2 months half price TV+internet and free WiFi router worth 99e. Existing customers won't get these extras untill they quit and get their services from the begining:) That's stupid because as I said they will pay for my connection again and for my equipment again to give me finally the same good offer:)

• Advertisement

It is a sign up offer all companies offer some sort of sweetener to sign up.

Like I said in an earlier post compared to past deals the new deal that the new sign ups are getting now is fairly **** in comparison to past deals but that's just the look of the draw unfortunately.

The deal the new sign ups are getting now is just a variation of a deal that every other customer got at some stage. So during the life time of the contract everyone gets one deal.

Very very very few service providers for anything be it phone broadband tv etc. are going to just offer you a half price deal in the middle of your contract for nothing. What would the business sense if giving someone who is not cancelling something for free out of the blue.

Personally I would rather they pump some of that surplus revenue back into the network then start giving 80,000 customers half price broadband for the crack.

Very very very few service providers for anything be it phone broadband tv etc. are going to just offer you a half price deal in the middle of your contract for nothing.
    I can agree with this but since me and some people has no fixed contract with the but are using their services for few years and we still are not getting better deal because of that. We are not getting the same deal as new users as you know. The only way to get a new deal as good as for new users is to send notice letter and after 30 days when they'll disconnect you sign for the new contract with better conditions.

Before you disconnect and reconnect you should be careful to check this out.

Allot of the new customer deals are for new customers.

If you disconnect and then try sign up again yours will be classed as a reconnection and not a new sign up so you may not get those deals and still be in the same situation of having a 12 month contract but no better off for it.

In your situation you are probably better off seeing what retention offers they have.

But at the end of the day the companies focus is going to be on market penetration and securing as many contacts as they can. Business perspective is not always customer perspective, to use an old cliché nothing in this world is for free.

I still think old or new the deals are pretty sweet and I have very little to complain about the way these new packages are structured.

I can assure you the type of crap people in England get is far worse.
    There is a 12 month contract attached to almost everything over there due to competition etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

harvy wrote: »
    I can agree with this but since me and some people has no fixed contract with the but are using their services for few years and we still are not getting better deal because of that. We are not getting the same deal as new users as you know. The only way to get a new deal as good as for new users is to send notice letter and after 30 days when they'll disconnect you sign for the new contract with better conditions.

If you have signed up in the last two years or so you would have had the option of the free router on the top package so you probably had that option already. All your losing out on is 30 or 40 quid on the BB deal.
    Maybe they shouldn't give anyone an offer new or old, sure the price and speed should be an incentive enough :). 40 euro is a great price in IRELAND for 12megs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Dogg

I am proud user of 12mb in UPC:) but the real speed is around 7mb:( I haven't seen more on any test... Download speed is about 450 KB/s but speedtest.net is showing around 7000 kbit while testing within Ireland but UK is around 2800 kbit:( so it's not so "real" 12mb but rather 7mbits. My collegue has 6mbit from them and he is getting 6mb. It looks like they are just not prepared for more. Wasting of 10 euro/mth...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Dogg wrote: »
    I am proud user of 12mb in UPC:) but the real speed is around 7mb:( I haven't seen more on any test... Download speed is about 450 KB/s but speedtest.net is showing around 7000 kbit while testing within Ireland but UK is around 2800 kbit:( so it's not so "real" 12mb but rather 7mbits. My collegue has 6mbit from them and he is getting 6mb. It looks like they are just not prepared for more. Wasting of 10 euro/mth...

All the reason I don't really want to sign a 12 month contract for a service which may be substandard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

he is installing as we speak lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Seems like there is at least one NTL/UPC employee on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

So what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Moriarty wrote: »
    So what?

I just think it would be fairer and more transparent for all if they declared
    so whilst defending UPC.

I just think it would be fairer and more transparent for all if they declared
    so whilst defending UPC.

I don't see the relevance. Either his point of view is valid or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Is that not positive since they may be able to give us some useful insight as to whats going on in UPC/NTL ?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Correct me if I am wrong but I am thinking you might think I am that upc employee.

I can assure you I am not

However I do have a upc connection and have had for some time (hassle free) I have never had a connection from anyone else so this is the only thing I know about.

Also my arguments are not pro upc but pro common sense I am simple expressing my opinion about why I think upc might design a package like this. To me it makes sense from a business point of view, I was not aware that everybody on a message board had to agree or always be against something.

Bring on the 12Mb I have no problem with signing a 12 month contract.

What makes you think a upc employee would defend the company, all it does is pay their wages I am sure the empolyees have to deal with the same slow speeds/disconnections as anyone. In fact if you worked there and had to listen to nothing but complaints I am sure you would probally have reason to hate the company more then anyone.

here is my speed test results straight after he installed it.

so far it seems to be working great cant complain for a 12mbps line for that price.

258126632.png

Not even that bad an upload giving that upload speeds in general tend to be forgoten about when these kind of upgrades come about

• Advertisement

Giarc18 Try download something from heanet like http://ftp.heanet.ie/disk1/TheOpenCD/07.02/OpenCD%20v07.02.iso see what speeds you get.
    As for a upc employee in this thread none here ;)
    foxindogs.jpg
    Like what Moriarty said I don't see the relevance if a valid point is made.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

So lads, am I correct in saying that if you call UPC and agree to sign a contract for another year, they will give you the 12mb line (straight away)? Is this happening now, or are they rolling it out in stages depending on area etc? Do they have to give you a new modem?

I'd agree that the service is great when it works, but can be a nightmare when it's not. Thankfully the two times I've had problems, I got help from a UPC Boards.ie member who hirried the process along for me. They gave me a new modem (one of the Scientific Atlanta ones) but I still use the old one cause I could not get the new one to work.

What are the chances of getting a wireless modem out of them?

Zascar not till the 1st of June will you be able to get the upgrade. If you have the old ambit 120/200 you probably will need to get it replaced. If you have a new modem it has to be activated just handing one to you, is no good.

If you fill out the form on the website it says they will contact you during june to confirm the upgrade has been performed.

So presumably once you register your interest now you will get it no later then the end of June and no earlier then the 1st..

I wonder if this method is an attempt to curb any over utilisation issues if they can see before June which areas are going to have a high uptake of the new speeds

Giarc18 wrote: »
    here is my speed test results straight after he installed it.

so far it seems to be working great cant complain for a 12mbps line for that price.

258126632.png

Nice. Pity about the wait until June for the rest of us though =/

/dies a little inside :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Dogg

These are my results on my 12mb (and I am not working for NTL:)

dublin.JPG

@ Dogg

On the contrary to my earlier statement what is going on with your upload?

DingDong wrote: »
    Giarc18 Try download something from heanet like http://ftp.heanet.ie/disk1/TheOpenCD/07.02/OpenCD%20v07.02.iso see what speeds you get.
    As for a upc employee in this thread none here ;)
    foxindogs.jpg
    Like what Moriarty said I don't see the relevance if a valid point is made.

hey i get 1.6mbps downloading that file. less then 6 minutes to download it.

Giarc18 wrote: »
    hey i get 1.6mbps downloading that file. less then 6 minutes to download it.

Yeah that sound about right for 12megs. Roll on June.

• Advertisement

dont get me wrong i feel bad for the people who have to wait till june but at least they know they are getting a 12mb line in lee then 2 months.

some people cant even get broadband and my heart goes out to them.

i was with eircom 3mb line but the 12mb line for 40 euro just was to good to pass up.
    have never had ntl before and have heard bad things but i sad fu*ck it i will give them ago myself

Advertisement