Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC: "Faster Speeds coming, Summer 2008"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Any link to this form on their site we have to fill in to get the upgrade in June? We should just get this automatically and not have to bloody request it :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Dogg

Giarc18 - thank you for your speedtest! That helped me to realize that there's something wrong with my broadband. I rang NTL this evening and told them that there's something wrong with my speed. And for the first time I got decent service in their helpdesk! That was some indian guy. He told me that everything looks good under my account but he is going to check everything. Few minutes after my call I did speedtest again and my speed gained a lot:)
    I have to admit that if only NTL broadband is working they are the best! If only can improve customer support:(

dublin2.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Whatsthisabout

mickger wrote: »
    Any link to this form on their site we have to fill in to get the upgrade in June? We should just get this automatically and not have to bloody request it :mad:

http://www.upc.ie/contact/upgradebroadband/

Here it is.

I’m sure it will be advertised once they have upgraded the initial batch its probably an attempt to do it in stages instead of changing every one over at the same time because that’s asking for trouble

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

mickger wrote: »

If they require an additional 12 months commitment then they cannot upgrade people automatically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

http://www.upc.ie/contact/upgradebroadband/

Here it is.

I’m sure it will be advertised once they have upgraded the initial batch its probably an attempt to do it in stages instead of changing every one over at the same time because that’s asking for trouble

I filled in that form but it doesn't give any confirmation at the end? Just a blank screen for me. Has anyone else filled in the online form?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Same blank screen for me. Called them about it, basically the same response... Clueless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 harvy

Still cannot unserstand why ur signing for upgrade. You will extend your contract by 12 months by doing that. If you're at the current fixed contract that's ok. But if your off the 12-mths contract that is stupid. I am going to send them quiting letter. In 30 days they will cut me off. On the next day I will sign 12 mths contract with them and get all goddies and 12mb. The only thing is that new contract must be signed by somebody else (girlfriend/mom, etc.) That way I will get also 12 mnths contract but I will have 12mb in 1 month, not in 2. I will get free WiFi router worth 99e. I will get 40e off because 2 months half price. I will get further 30e off because half price off also for TV. Why than wait for upgrade 2 mths while you're not under fixed contract?? Plus you will save in total 170e and that is over 4 months of internet free.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

harvy wrote: »
    Still cannot unserstand why ur signing for upgrade. You will extend your contract by 12 months by doing that. If you're at the current fixed contract that's ok. But if your off the 12-mths contract that is stupid. I am going to send them quiting letter. In 30 days they will cut me off. On the next day I will sign 12 mths contract with them and get all goddies and 12mb. The only thing is that new contract must be signed by somebody else (girlfriend/mom, etc.) That way I will get also 12 mnths contract but I will have 12mb in 1 month, not in 2. I will get free WiFi router worth 99e. I will get 40e off because 2 months half price. I will get further 30e off because half price off also for TV. Why than wait for upgrade 2 mths while you're not under fixed contract?? Plus you will save in total 170e and that is over 4 months of internet free.

I know UPC are not the brightest bulbs in the box but dont you think they will look at your address, the address where they deliver their service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 harvy

inforfun wrote: »
    I know UPC are not the brightest bulbs in the box but dont you think they will look at your address, the address where they deliver their service?
    That doesn't matter. You could always move and somebody else may be living there. Beside I was already calling helpdesk and they told me that I will get offer for new customer by doing that trick. The only think is that it cannot be under YOUR name to get goddies. But it may be for ex. your girlfriend or probably you can just make out any name really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭ow2h7nft1me9i4

I know this is a bit off topic but I have just read through all of this thread and this 12mb broadband seems like good value. I have eircom 2mb service and am paying 29 a month for it!! I have never had any problems with it but all that extra speed ntl are offering is very tempting. I mean if i want to change broadband providers, can just cancel my eircom and ring ntl and have them install theirs? I dont have to go through a briadband provider "switching" process or anything like that??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

I know this is a bit off topic but I have just read through all of this thread and this 12mb broadband seems like good value. I have eircom 2mb service and am paying 29 a month for it!! I have never had any problems with it but all that extra speed ntl are offering is very tempting. I mean if i want to change broadband providers, can just cancel my eircom and ring ntl and have them install theirs? I dont have to go through a briadband provider "switching" process or anything like that??

No nothing like that its two different technologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

Ok can somebody answer me this, will i still get upgraded to the new 12meg speed when they implement it without having to fill out that request form?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Yes at the least thats my understanding from reading the thread.

Edit: I stand corrected having seen the upgrade form posted on the UPC site

Ok can somebody answer me this, will i still get upgraded to the new 12meg speed when they implement it without having to fill out that request form?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

You can also ditch the phone line for NTL or Blueface VoIP - and rid yourself of the Eircom Line Rental at the same time!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

No afaik you will have to agree in some shape or form to allow them to upgrade you because of the 12 month contract .

I gotta say out of the 2 speedtests, neither of them impress me, and believe me I want to be impressed. On one the downspeed is not great and on the both the upspeed is quite a bit off 1 Mb :( .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

No afaik you will have to agree in some shape or form to allow them to upgrade you because of the 12 month contract .

I gotta say out of the 2 speedtests, neither of them impress me, and believe me I want to be impressed. On one the downspeed is not great and on the both the upspeed is quite a bit off 1 Mb :( .
    WHAT,....I have been on the ntl 6mb for almost 2yrs, you mean they require me to sign some new contract or T&C before they upgrade me to the 12mb package ?

Indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

lensman wrote: »
    WHAT,....I have been on the ntl 6mb for almost 2yrs, you mean they require me to sign some new contract or T&C before they upgrade me to the 12mb package ?

I've been with them for 3 years now and I'm bloody outraged at this behaviour!
    There's no way for me to know if I'll be living in an area covered by UPC for the next 12 months (or is that 12 months starting from the date they upgrade... so more like 14-15 months)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Whatsthisabout

As far as I know you wont be held to the 12 months if you are moving outside the service area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

i've been with NTL for many years... when they introduced the DVR, they imposed 50 euros installation fees for existing customers... so i just reluctantly ignored the DVR thing... few months then, they made it a free installation, so i signed up... had to wait but saved me some hard earned money...

i guess in this case, i'll try my luck again not to request or do anything. hopefully, they change something for the benefit of me not to fix my contract for another 12 months... after those years, it should not make much difference but who knows, in the next 12 months i'd need get out earlier...

Marty

• Advertisement

I doubt anything will change, if you are on the 6 Mb line now, they will leave you on that , just charge you a tenner less, whereas if you agree to the upgrade they will continue to charge you the same.

Technically we will be actually moving up a package.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

tman wrote: »
    I've been with them for 3 years now and I'm bloody outraged at this behaviour!
    There's no way for me to know if I'll be living in an area covered by UPC for the next 12 months (or is that 12 months starting from the date they upgrade... so more like 14-15 months)

It's just the arrogance of the bastrads ;) I'm more than happy with their BB service, probably the best there is but they do have a knack for pissing people off, I recon they have a whole dept called the "C.C.I.C" the "crazy conditions invention cu*ts" :eek::eek:

Lol nice :D. I would be suprised if the UPC network does not turn to ****e when everyone starts switching over. Which I hope is not going to be a problem for the long term. If it only causes problems for a week or two then I will be very happy and only too happy to upgrade with the 12 month contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

Much appreciate the reply, oh well off to fill out the upgrade form then so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭baz909

I got my 12mb connection today... havent had any problems and done a couple of speed tests. Managed to download a 700mb in 10 minutes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 hippee

Hey guys i've got the 12mb service :) Its working very well indeed with gaming online and VOD / torrents...Legal torrents of course !!

You can sign a 12 month contract but if you are moving house you are not penalised etc you can just cancel the direct debit.... Jeasus reading this thread
    really made me laugh as most of the men on it seem like WOMEN as all they do is bitch about something they do not have !!

All companies behave in this fashion when rolling out new product, logging into Boards and bitching and demanding only make you look like a c**t and a geek. I'm sure they read your posts and laugh their arses off at you guys... If you were bitching about existing product issue's i'd understand but bitching about something you don't have is pathetic.....Honestly if i were running a business you are exactly the kind of customer i would disconnect !!!
    This is towards the geeks guys !!:mad::mad::mad::mad:
    H ah ah ha ha....

hippee wrote: »
    Hey guys i've got the 12mb service :) Its working very well indeed with gaming online and VOD / torrents...Legal torrents of course !!

You can sign a 12 month contract but if you are moving house you are not penalised etc you can just cancel the direct debit.... Jeasus reading this thread
    really made me laugh as most of the men on it seem like WOMEN as all they do is bitch about something they do not have !!

All companies behave in this fashion when rolling out new product, logging into Boards and bitching and demanding only make you look like a c**t and a geek. I'm sure they read your posts and laugh their arses off at you guys... If you were bitching about existing product issue's i'd understand but bitching about something you don't have is pathetic.....Honestly if i were running a business you are exactly the kind of customer i would disconnect !!!
    H ah ah ha ha....

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ok...... to those people that have the 12 Mb line, can you put up some speedtests off of speedtest.net please :) .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

also to those on 12Mbps line... don't leech the network too much... u guys might slow down the slower people... :p

Marty

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

I can't believe that for existing customer they are asking us to sing a contact for another 12 months, I been with them for about 6 years now.

What will happen is you call to cancel the broadband and give them reason that you are canceling because of he new contract to be able to get the upgrade.

At the end of the day you end up paying the same as other users that are getting double your speed.

I think it might be a good time to change to smart.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Dogg

hippee wrote: »
    If you were bitching about existing product issue's i'd understand but bitching about something you don't have is pathetic.....Honestly if i were running a business you are exactly the kind of customer i would disconnect !!!
    H ah ah ha ha....
    I think you are nerd working for NTL...
    UK companies here are like a tumor. Look at Argos or Maplin. Prices on their co.uk pages in P are changed in Ireland in Euro using 1:1,8 rate while in real it's 1:1,2! They are ripping off people here. The same story is with NTL. We should we be happy because of 12mb for 40e?? In UK NTL is now called Virgin. One of their offers is 20mb for 10 P with unlimited downloads limit!!
    http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/service.do?id=2
    Beside they are not giving existing users the same deal as they are giving to the new users. You have to cancel their services and take them again to get it!

Advertisement