Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC: "Faster Speeds coming, Summer 2008"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 hippee

For anyone generally interested about speed results.... 10.5MB + and it dropped once in 10 tests to 8.9MB..

Dogg.. you really lived up to my last post ..You are a geek !

Although i do agree with the sterling exchange rate issue you bring up its got nothing to do with this thread so get a life !!!!!!

Again your another person who WANTS THIS AND WANTS THAT like a big child.. If you don't have anything of obvious interest to add to this thread go to another site that allows nerds WAFFLE on it :)

I bought my car in the UK because its cheaper and shop online to save $$$
    but i don't login and WHINGE about totally unrelated info..If you want 20MB for £10 then MOVE TO THE UK:mad:

Can anyone see what i'm getting at here, its 12mb for €40 and its the best price on the country should we not be supporting this cheaper BB option which will make all BB providers drop their price and increase their speeds :o This is what these sites are all about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

hippee wrote: »
    For anyone generally interested about speed results.... 10.5MB + and it dropped once in 10 tests to 8.9MB..

Dogg.. you really lived up to my last post ..You are a geek !

Although i do agree with the sterling exchange rate issue you bring up its got nothing to do with this thread so get a life !!!!!!

Again your another person who WANTS THIS AND WANTS THAT like a big child.. If you don't have anything of obvious interest to add to this thread go to another site that allows nerds WAFFLE on it :)

I bought my car in the UK because its cheaper and shop online to save $$$
    but i don't login and WHINGE about totally unrelated info..If you want 20MB for £10 then MOVE TO THE UK:mad:

Can anyone see what i'm getting at here, its 12mb for €40 and its the best price on the country should we not be supporting this cheaper BB option which will make all BB providers drop their price and increase their speeds :o This is what these sites are all about
    christ......your in a ranting mood, hang over ehh,. stop looking to pick scraps with fellow users,...take the dog for a good long walk in the nearest park & don't kick it,..take deep breaths & clear your head.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Ok can somebody answer me this, will i still get upgraded to the new 12meg speed when they implement it without having to fill out that request form?

Nope, the only way to get the upgrade is to fill out the online application form from here

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Whatsthisabout

The more competitive the market gets the more of sort of contract thing is going to become common place; it is already like that in the UK. Infact they have 18 month contracts on some products in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

The more competitive the market gets the more of sort of contract thing is going to become common place; it is already like that in the UK. Infact they have 18 month contracts on some products in the UK

Shhhh don't give them any ideas ;):p .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Everyone lay off the name calling and please start acting like adults instead of petulant children.

Any more of it will be getting the poster a ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Also, just to point out UPC (NTL/Chorus) has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with Virgin Media in the UK.
    Comparing what UPC are offering here to what Virgin are offering in the UK is completely pointless.

UPC are also NOT a British company. They're Europe's largest cable operator with their HQ in the Netherlands. They started out as "United Philips Cable" (UPC) but Philips sold out to their stake in the company to UGC Europe which subsequently merged with Liberty Media to form Liberty Global.

UPC is therefore a Dutch headquartered European cable company that is owned by a large US corporation.

NTL in the UK was sold to Virgin Media
    NTL in Ireland was sold to UPC
    Chorus was a joint venture between Independent Media (Ireland) and Liberty Media (US). Independent Media pulled out in 2004, making Chorus a wholly owned subsiduary of Liberty Media. Liberty subsequently sold it to UGC Europe then merged with UGC Europe itself!
    The net result was that Liberty Global ended up with both NTL Ireland and Chorus.
    So, it merged the two companies into a single system / platform, began to roll out its own technology (i.e. the same as it uses elsewhere in Europe) and is rebranding them as UPC Ireland.

If you want information about the kinds of products UPC typically offers, I'd suggest that you look at their other EU websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 sk1

irlrobins wrote: »
    Pretty much all packages will have their speed doubled at no extra cost. It will be available to new signups first, then rolled out to current customers.

the opposite direction would be more customer friendly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Whatsthisabout

Probally not because it would no doubt cause alot of problems switching that many people over night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Spagfish

I just got the 12 Meg installed as a new customer (in Dublin). :D
    259690638.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭hefty_langer

I got installed last Wednesday in Cork, but was only put on the 6Mb package, (paying for the Ultra) I thought they would put me straight onto 12Mb...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Does anyone know what will happen a current 3MB user if they don't upgragde as there is no proposed 3M option in the future?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

How come all the people who've been upgraded are also on their first post...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Maybe they're new to the web and now think 12mb connections are the way it always has been...

As for the poster who asked about the 3mb package, you will be upgraded to 6mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Are you sure you have to sign a new contract with upc to get the new speeds i'm on their 3mb package but for the last month my connection has been fluctuating between 4.5-6 mb/s. Anyone else experiencing this. I would thiunk that the form you have to fill out is a gimmick for them to get current customers to sign up for another year to avail of the new speeds straight away and if you wait i'd think you'd get them in may/june.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

If you wait you will have them by June and you don't need to sign anything new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

silvine wrote: »
    If you wait you will have them by June and you don't need to sign anything new.
    Don't think so the form is for current customers to upgrade in june with a new 12 month contract so presumably if you do nothing you stay on your current 3 or 6mb with lower cap
    Current customers signing the form will NOT be upgraded till June only NEW customers get the upgrade now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

cdebru wrote: »
    Don't think so the form is for current customers to upgrade in june with a new 12 month contract so presumably if you do nothing you stay on your current 3 or 6mb with lower cap
    Current customers signing the form will NOT be upgraded till June only NEW customers get the upgrade now
    No i don't think so i have the form up here on the comp it doesn't say that you will be upgraded in june i still reckon if you wait till june you will get your upgrade i think maybe we are jumping to conclusions based on past experiences with ntl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

No i don't think so i have the form up here on the comp it doesn't say that you will be upgraded in june i still reckon if you wait till june you will get your upgrade i think maybe we are jumping to conclusions based on past experiences with ntl.

I suggest you have a look at this not jumping to conclusions it clearly states it on the UPC website
    If you are an existing broadband customer and wish to avail of these new faster speeds as they become available in your area, simply complete this form. We will contact you in June to confirm your broadband package has been updated.
    Please note this change to your broadband package will signal the start of a new 12 month contract. Increases from 3Mb to 6Mb or from 6Mb to 12Mb will not incur any extra costs. Any other changes will result in an increase to your billing amount.

clearly states it will be june( it could be earlier i guess depending on the area you live in ) and that you are entering a new 12 month contract

And on the form it states the same thing about a new contract and gives a box to tick to acknowledge the new contract

A bit unrealistic to think the 12 month contract only applies to people who want the upgrade upto 6 weeks early

My reading is that the upgrades will not be available to everyone till june as they upgrade their network but no matter when you sign up you are entering a new 12 month contract

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

I rang UPC today and was told i would be upgraded at the end of May start of June
    i think thats crap but what can you do. I wants me 12mb now hehehe :)

• Advertisement

ricey wrote: »
    I rang UPC today and was told i would be upgraded at the end of May start of June
    i think thats crap but what can you do. I wants me 12mb now hehehe :)

Threaten to leave if you don't get it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

paulm17781 wrote: »
    Threaten to leave if you don't get it?

thats what i did and the sales person said " ok hang on while i put you through to someone who can cancel your account " :rolleyes:

got through to the person to cancel the broadband and he asked why i was canceling and i told him why , his response was that the sales rep should not be telling me that and that he could upgrade me there and then and it would take about half and hour to go through and that i'd have to reset the cable modem plus he would give me 2 months halfprice :D .

i reset the modem and did a speed test and although the download is nowhere near 12 meg the upload is almost 1 meg .

260017700.png

It's funny. The cancellations department seem to have all these powers that the customer contempt team don't. Perhaps if they all did their best to make customers happy instead of fobbing them off, people wouldn't hate UPC so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Sweet keep us updated with the speed as it gets better/worse/go's fishing.

Did you have to agree to another 12 month contract ??

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I just spoke to a woman in billing and she said 'to her knowledge' you get the upgrade automatically, no extra contract, but that it would be announced properly shortly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Sweet keep us updated with the speed as it gets better/worse/go's fishing.

Did you have to agree to another 12 month contract ??

i'll be keeping an eye on the speed over the next few days and no i did not have to agree to another 12 month contract .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

paulm17781 wrote: »
    It's funny. The cancellations department seem to have all these powers that the customer contempt team don't. Perhaps if they all did their best to make customers happy instead of fobbing them off, people wouldn't hate UPC so much.

Word, they need to swap the departments around. Or just get rid of the customer care department and when you ring you're just put straight through to the cancelation department, would solve a lot of bother. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Anyone know if they have fixed the problems with Nintendo WiFi Connection?

People were reporting problems in the Nintendo section that they keep getting connect errors to the service when trying to play Mario Kart.

My current service isn't great for ping times at the moment but I've always been able to connect and play on Nintendos online service. I wouldn't like to loose this but I am interested in moving.

Also if someone with Xbox Live can post if they are having any issues with it, I'd appreciate it because I mostly just play games online with my connection. Defeats the point of moving if I can't do this on NTL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Don't have wii or ds brim4brim but I've never had a problem with my xbox online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

been on to ntl support, they state that upgrades will be added automatically in early june.

Advertisement