Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lactose

Options
  • 29-02-2008 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭

I'm trying out veganism at the moment and i notice there are lots of products that you would expect to be vegan have lactose or whey powder added to them. I'm just wondering, why are these ingredients used? I doubt they add anything to the flavour.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Silent Partner

Fair play to you for your decision! I have cut out quite a bit of dairy from my life. I don't use milk in tea or coffee or on my breakfast cereal.
    But it's exactly the reason you stated that I don't go the whole hog. I simply could not put in that amount of effort. There are far too many un-vegan friendly things out there. It's challenging enough checking everything for being vegetarian.
    I'd love to have the discipline and effort to go vegan but at this moment I don't. Maybe some day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

tbh, ive never known. whey and lactose seem to be the core of many snack foods. i wonder if it is just part of the varied recipe that just stuck...

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Whatever it is, it's bloody annoying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭cookiequeen

yeah I'm cows dairy free for health reasons. Forget snack food. The only ones really that are worth the effore ate the crisps in aldi. The snackrite cassava ones, think its chilli and corriander or something. Yum, make it all ok cos they fill the fix gap!!! ( and also cos its cassava surprisingly low in calories)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

I thought it was something like they are suitable for carrying flavours, due to the powdery-ness and relatively neutral flavour. Maybe this is more whey than lactose though.

If you tried to add flavouring directly to crisps or whatever, you might have a hard time getting it to stick evenly throughout, without some sort of carrier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Interesting thoughs.

Advertisement