Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

City Cabs Skoda's scrapped

Options
  • 29-02-2008 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭

Just after seeing a tow truck on the quays with 4 of the yellow/blue City Cab Skoda's stripped down and ready to be crushed.

Any idea why they'd do this? Surely they would have been worth something to someone?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Because they're Skodas;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

mvpr wrote: »
    Surely they would have been worth something to someone?

I wouldn't expect so.

All the yellow and blue Skodas that you see as taxis were (afaik) ordered in by one particular dealer.
    They were brought in specifically to be sold to taxi drivers - diesel, non-metallic, lowest possible spec - you can't actually buy one of these cars new from any old Skoda dealer, they're not an official engine/spec combination!

And due to the fact that there's so many identical (weird) spec, high mileage cars in identical colours, they're pretty much saleproof!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭mvpr

Right, I didnt realise they were special orders. Thanks for that...

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

They'd still have a big boot though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

+300k miles and 78 different drivers maybe ? Most of those are the yokes they used to rent out...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭waxon-waxoff

This is more about accounting than anything else. Those cars would be worth something, even for parts, but it suits them to declare them as worthless. The taxi company will write them off on their accounts as a loss and so lower the tax bill. They will show them depreciating by a set amount every year until now. The company will now buy new cars and reduce their profits for their year and so reduce the tax they pay on profits. If they didnt spend the money on new cars, they would hand it to the revenue as corporation tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You never know you might find one for sale on eBay next week. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

This is more about accounting than anything else. Those cars would be worth something, even for parts, but it suits them to declare them as worthless. The taxi company will write them off on their accounts as a loss and so lower the tax bill. They will show them depreciating by a set amount every year until now. The company will now buy new cars and reduce their profits for their year and so reduce the tax they pay on profits. If they didnt spend the money on new cars, they would hand it to the revenue as corporation tax.
    So much for saving the environment:rolleyes:! Those cars cant have been very old?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Those cars would have been ran like the Garda cars, changing drivers at the base after each shift

Im sure they would have around a billion miles clocked up so:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Onkle wrote: »
    Those cars would have been ran like the Garda cars, changing drivers at the base after each shift

Like the German taxis... Mecerdes guarantee them for 500k km or something as long as they never switch the engines off and Mercedes service them.

Don't think skoda would give the same deal.

tht sounds incredible, how do they service them with the engine running.....:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Churchy

stevec wrote: »
    Like the German taxis... Mecerdes guarantee them for 500k km or something as long as they never switch the engines off and Mercedes service them.

Don't think skoda would give the same deal.

Ermmm you got a source for that??????????????????????????????

nothing I can back up - I was told this on several occasions by taxi drivers in Frankfurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

Not quite true.

I have had German sevice engineers and sales people in my car here and they explianed the typical setup for taxi and sales people in high end mercs.

Under a lease agreement they guarantee the car for 300K km as long as mercedes services it only. The service may not be part of the lease (just like here) but if it breaks down at all or has any faults, they drive to the nearest Merc dealer and are given a replacement. At that point they never have to recieve the old car back. The customer in my car told me that he sent back two E-class mercs under this system for the same fault. His Sat-Nav crashed and took about 3 minutes to reboot, without turning off the engine or stopping. That annoyed him, so he got the cars replaced. This is an expensive system and was done for E-class and up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭Niall1234

Autograss racing maybe ?

Damien360 wrote: »
    Not quite true.

I have had German sevice engineers and sales people in my car here and they explianed the typical setup for taxi and sales people in high end mercs.

Under a lease agreement they guarantee the car for 300K km as long as mercedes services it only. The service may not be part of the lease (just like here) but if it breaks down at all or has any faults, they drive to the nearest Merc dealer and are given a replacement. At that point they never have to recieve the old car back. The customer in my car told me that he sent back two E-class mercs under this system for the same fault. His Sat-Nav crashed and took about 3 minutes to reboot, without turning off the engine or stopping. That annoyed him, so he got the cars replaced. This is an expensive system and was done for E-class and up.
    Sounds like a good deal, you get total peace of mind,you would have to be a good customer to get that kind of service though i would expect?

what does niall1234 mean??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Autocross racing = bangers being raced flatout around fields etc. They'd be perfect for this, they dont need to be registered, and will prob be wrecked/crashed after a few meetings, so the high milage doesnt matter.

Fair enough, the taxi company declares them worthless for tax reasons, but what ever happened to a cash in hand sale:p:D

Damien360 wrote: »
    Not quite true.

Was starting to think I imagined it - thanks.
    The story I was told was obviously given some embellishment.

The whole deal with not stopping the engines (apart from servicing) was to keep a constant temperature in the engine and lubrication system.

The cars were hot swapped and run 24/7

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They didn't do that with the last model E Class did they? my mate would've got 7 new cars in the space of a year if that came to Ireland!

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    They didn't do that with the last model E Class did they? my mate would've got 7 new cars in the space of a year if that came to Ireland!
    That'd be nice....

No, they were purpose built Merc taxi's all the same spec, colour, fitted with a meter and satnav.

I wonder what happens to them when their taxi service is up.....

Advertisement