Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help please!!!! what kinda hedge???

Options
  • 29-02-2008 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

hi all, garden really exposed.need a hedge fast. was told approx. 3 weeks left for bare root planting. is this right? was lookin at eschonia? need a good wind belt & fast growin.any other ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

You probably mean Escallonia which is not bad and good for seaside areas. You could also try Griselinia as a faster growing hedge (disliked by the cognoscienti as commonplace). Just remember what you're letting yourself in for ---- cutting hedges twice a year for the rest of your days ! Another option is beech which makes a very good hedge

A slower growing more sensible hedge would perhaps be yew -- but I know you need a fast grower so maybe this isn't practical

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭mydogjack

nice one reyman. appreciate the advice. never heard of yew..mustcheck it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭xanthe

grislinea(eeek spelling) is the best bet.... Evergreen, very fast growing and as yet have not found a place it will not grow!!
    Good luck with it

xanthe wrote: »
    grislinea(eeek spelling) is the best bet.... Evergreen, very fast growing and as yet have not found a place it will not grow!!
    Good luck with it

Apols - I never could spell it though I know all about cutting it. Anyway it won't grow in most of England and may be doubtful in the midlands in Ireland. It dislikes very low temperatures and may fail in these conditions.

I can't stand it myself -- 'so suburban' but functional I suppose!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭xanthe

Having lived in the midlands, the coast, as well as the north and south of Ireland the hedge has grown in all those places quite well once established. Not a fan of the hedge either tbh, but its a fast grower and never disappointed me when it was needed! :)
    Reyman wrote: »
    Apols - I never could spell it though I know all about cutting it. Anyway it won't grow in most of England and may be doubtful in the midlands in Ireland. It dislikes very low temperatures and may fail in these conditions.

I can't stand it myself -- 'so suburban' but functional I suppose!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

mydogjack wrote: »
    hi all, garden really exposed.need a hedge fast. was told approx. 3 weeks left for bare root planting. is this right? was lookin at eschonia? need a good wind belt & fast growin.any other ideas?

Escallonia “Macrantha” spaced at 45cm (1.5 ft) creates an evergreen hedge 6 to 8ft tall at a moderate growth rate.
    A hedge with crimson summer flowers that copes well by the sea.

Taken from this article...... Hedging plants in Ireland (size, spacing, flowers and fruit)

nice one folks appreciate the advice. very very very windy up where i am. high ground too. need a shelter belt for def. any ideas where to buy reasonable price?

mydogjack wrote: »
    nice one folks appreciate the advice. very very very windy up where i am. high ground too. need a shelter belt for def. any ideas where to buy reasonable price?

Remember if you want a windbreak you don't want a very dense hedge or the wind speed will increase on the leeward side due to turbulence. A beech might be best then or a single line of escallonia

cheers appreciate the advice. was offered 100 escallonia for 100 euro-bare root and 2ft. high. seems to be best price. if anyone knows better please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭towbar

anybody know where to get bareroot escallonia in North East

• Advertisement
Advertisement