Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

djing advice

• 29-02-2008 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

ok...so have been djing for a bit now using my laptop....the stuff ive been playing is like alternative, indie, old rock type stuff, so its not that technically hard to mix etc....ive been djing in limerick etc, but moving to dublin soon and am thinking people wont like to see me djing with laptop, even though its actually all you need for this type of music...could anyone recommend any type of mixer or something i could use....something which could work with cds, laptop, mp3 players.....

sorry about spelling

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Technically speaking any mixer will do! All you need is X amount of channels. If you want cheap and cheerful, go with a 2 channel but if you feel later on you will spend the dosh, go large and get a few channels.

To be honest, I used DJ with a Laptop, and I never got results. For a few reasons! 1) It doesn't look professional, yes sitting between two CD Decks it does, but not on its own. 2) They can and WILL crash. No laptop can ever replace the reliabilty of CD Decks etc.

Personally, I'd save the cash and buy a decent set of decks. I picked up mine (Vestaxs) for much cheaper than the nearest Dell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

get an mpc-like drum machine, to integrate into your setup. cheap, visual, and fun.
    akai mpd or m-audio trigger finger come to mind.

personally decks alone rule, but plenty people suffice with laptop alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Luke! Broughan

but,you have ALL your music on a laptop yeah?
    If you have all your music on a laptop,id suggest upgrading your dj software and buying an external dj controller(hercules or a vestax usb mixer)

if you are getting into cd decks,its a whole world in itself..
    you will need to buy a "dj mixer" and two cdj's.

it will cost a lot more than laptop dj stuff,but its a lot more hands on....

let me know more about what you want to do,and i might be able to give you a hand in deciding which gear to buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

ironclaw wrote: »
    To be honest, I used DJ with a Laptop, and I never got results. For a few reasons! 1) It doesn't look professional, yes sitting between two CD Decks it does, but not on its own. 2) They can and WILL crash. No laptop can ever replace the reliabilty of CD Decks etc.

Unless you save for one of these but then you are talking about €3.5K ! I have used it hundreds of time in the last year and only had it carsh 3 times. Once was my fault when I clicked the shortcut for fast shutdown that I had added. (good for making sure you finish on time!) once was when someone spilled coke on the keyboard, but still could use it, just the keyboard needed replacing, and the final one was unknown! :confused:

But all in all no problems. I actually use VDJ on it and am thinking of getting a DAC-3. But to be honest I can control it just as easily with an external mouse and my fingers.

Advertisement