Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So... would you ever ask a man to marry you??

Options
  • 29-02-2008 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

....or do you think its his job, and theres no way you'd ever do it?

would you ask? 53 votes

Yes. no problem. if i felt the need, why wait for him?
    0% 0 votes
    No. Never. i just wouldn't. its the man's thing really...
    30% 16 votes
    Atari Jaguar again.... :)
    69% 37 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

Balls i was supposed to put a poll on this. crap.

We had a little debate in work and it was a bit surprising!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

I answered no. I'm a bit of a traditionalist at heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Donegal Lass

not if hell froze over would I ask...

Id be faaar too scared of rejection! :D

but seriously, I like it being the boys thing!

feck it, we have periods, carry children for 9 months, go through labour, look good on our wedding day, manage the household, cook, clean...the least they can do is get down on a knee! :D

Hahaha. good point.

I would though. if i was in the position that i felt i could obviously.
    I wouldn't get down on one knee. it'd probably be more "So we gettin married or Wha!?" lol

I sent my BF a text earlier saying "Will you marry me?"

he simply replied " of course, seeing as you asked so nicely!!"

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Eire 4Ever

No its the male thing to do

I sent my BF a text earlier saying "Will you marry me?"

he simply replied " of course, seeing as you asked so nicely!!"

:D

So are ye engaged for real now?????????? :eek::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Mrs_Doyle wrote: »

Of course they are! He can't back out now, she has it in writing!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

ofc i'd ask if i wanted
    :confused:

yea...

ive been wearing a jelly ring on my finger since approx 11:37...

its all sticky now :(

• Advertisement

LadyJ wrote: »
    Of course they are! He can't back out now, she has it in writing!

Ha, she should get all Bride-zilla on him, text him to say her mam's delighted with the good news, and has already had a word with the parish priest about marrying them some time this summer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I wouldn't really want to ask but then again, I'm sure most engagements don't come as a surprise before it happens. Most couples will have talked about marriage and the future anyway and know that that's the way they're headed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Todoquetengo

I'd never ask, I'd hint or talk about it as something we'd do at some stage but I wouldn't do the official asking. It's his job!! Maybe I'm old fashioned or too much of a romantic :p

Ha, she should get all Bride-zilla on him, text him to say her mam's delighted with the good news, and has already had a word with the parish priest about marrying them some time this summer!

and had picked out a dress, that costs 10 grand!

:eek: Genius!!

he freaks out easily at the best of times!!

Il say that iv made an appointment at the jewellers!

Im going to have fun tonight! Oh OH.. maybe il say now that I want to practice celibacy until we get hitched!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Unaton

I'd leave that to my man. I'm kinda traditional when it comes to stuff like this. We've talked about marriage so he knows he'll have to get down on his knee sooner or later :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Kazobel

If she really wants to freak him out she should reply "We better start the arrangments now then because I want to be married before the baby is born" :D

Im going to have fun tonight! Oh OH.. maybe il say now that I want to practice celibacy until we get hitched!! :D

Yeah, that'd be hilarious! Tell him you've told all your mates and you've already made a guest list for 500 people.

Can we all come to your fake wedding please? I give good fake presents!

Oh OH.. maybe il say now that I want to practice celibacy until we get hitched!! :D

Now that's just mean :D

Definitely, say ya did a bit of research which says a sex ban in the run up to the big day is great for a relationship.
    Tell him you are so happy he said yes, that you hardly slept a wink last night what with all the excitement and that you can't wait to go ring shopping and dress hunting!

• Advertisement

watna wrote: »
    Yeah, that'd be hilarious! Tell him you've told all your mates and you've already made a guest list for 500 people.

Can we all come to your fake wedding please? I give good fake presents!

I LOVE fake presents! :eek:

and il also slip in that ive organised the pre-marriage course for next wknd as they had a cancellation! :D

by the time im finished with him he'll be shaking!! lol

Definitely, say ya did a bit of research which says a sex ban in the run up to the big day is great for a relationship.
    Tell him you are so happy he said yes, that you hardly slept a wink last night what with all the excitement and that you can't wait to go ring shopping and dress hunting!
    I LOVE fake presents! :eek:

by the time im finished with him he'll be shaking!! lol

We are all evil! (need evil smiley now!)

evilness rules! :D

evilness rules! :D

Mwah hah hah hah hah hah!

/considers doing something to my OH now :D

I'm the only one!? "Oh scarleh!"

Niamho! wrote: »
    Hahaha. good point.

I would though. if i was in the position that i felt i could obviously.
    I wouldn't get down on one knee. it'd probably be more "So we gettin married or Wha!?" lol

Some girls encourage their OH's into askin by making hints! thats how it works, i saw it directly! One of my mates proposed after havin about 500 not so sublt hints thrown his way as well as the OH sayin "we'll worry about that when we're married" all the time!

So while they dont ask directly they provoke the question so to speak!

Some girls bully their OH's into askin by making hints! thats how it works, i saw it directly! One of my mates proposed after havin about 500 not so sublt hints thrown his way as well as the OH sayin "we'll worry about that when we're married" all the time!

So while they dont ask directly they provoke the question so to speak!

Bully is a bit strong, sounds like she's making him do something he doesn't want to :rolleyes:

I would agree that hints are given and all my friends who got engaged had talked about it but the actual proposal was left to the guy to do. I'd be happy with that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

I think the reason that asking for a hand in marriage was left to the man goes back to proper catholic times where you only got one chance no do-overs and obviously something as sensitive a matter as that could hardly be left to crazy women folk to be left at

Bully is a bit strong, sounds like she's making him do something he doesn't want to :rolleyes:

I would agree that hints are given and all my friends who got engaged had talked about it but the actual proposal was left to the guy to do. I'd be happy with that

Dont fool yourself, im sure this happens from time to time!!! :D But yes bully was the wrong word...I should have said "encourage".

Corrected!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭cch

Definitely something the man should do, only for the reason that if he asks that means he's thought about it for more than 5 seconds beforehand and came to the conclusion that it's an ok idea!
    Also if the woman asks, I'm sure the thought going through a guys head would be "If I don't say yes straight away she'll cry..."

Advertisement