Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So... would you ever ask a man to marry you??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

My boyfriend told me the other day not to worry if i ask him today he will say yes !!!! I nearly choked laughing! No bloody way in hell would i ask ... its the one thing a woman has ... i want his proposal to me to be romantic and thought about, and to have asked my dad beforehand .. i want it done all traditional and i want to be proud of looking back on the memory!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

She Devil wrote: »
    My boyfriend told me the other day not to worry if i ask him today he will say yes !!!! I nearly choked laughing! No bloody way in hell would i ask ... its the one thing a woman has ... i want his proposal to me to be romantic and thought about, and to have asked my dad beforehand .. i want it done all traditional and i want to be proud of looking back on the memory!

I thought the traditional way was to get her knocked up then marry her out of fear of sullying your families good name :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Donegal Lass

my BF would die if he thought he'd have to ask my Dad...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Kazobel

She Devil wrote: »

Seriously? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

Yip, my boyfriend is aware of it, and dreading it! :) ... I would hate to get married without him carrying out this tradition .. i think its all part of it ... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭pampers1

My BF must ask my dad for my hand in marriage also and he knows this. I joked that maybe i'd propose to him today and he seriously replied "I wouldn't if I was you" so that put me in my place. I think i'll be waiting longer that I had initially hoped!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I asked my bf by email. He told me to stop messing and asked if I want a Chinese takeaway for dinner... I think that's a no. What do you think?

I used to say I'd want my bf to ask my dad for my hand in marriage til I realised that

a) that's ridiculous. I'm not my dad's to give away. i don't live at home and he doesn't support me.

b) they would both be so awkward doing it that it wouldn't be fair to make them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

watna wrote: »
    b) they would both be so awkward doing it that it wouldn't be fair to make them!

Surely thats a reason for it rather than against it ...... evil laugh

Drift wrote: »
    Surely thats a reason for it rather than against it ...... evil laugh

True, we're all very evil to our boys in here today, aren't we!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

a) that's ridiculous. I'm not my dad's to give away. i don't live at home and he doesn't support me.

My boyfriend asked my dad the night before he proposed to me.
    My Dad was all emotional and said he realised it was an old fashioned thing to do, but that it meant a lot, and he really appreciated being asked.
    I was kinda delighted when my BF told me he had met up with my Dad beforehand, because I know my Dad is an old fashioned auld sod and is really into that kinda thing.
    My BF wasn't worried about my Dad saying no, as he gets on really well with my family.

• Advertisement

Mrs_Doyle wrote: »
    My boyfriend asked my dad the night before he proposed to me.
    My Dad was all emotional and said he realised it was an old fashioned thing to do, but that it meant a lot, and he really appreciated being asked.
    I was kinda delighted when my BF told me he had met up with my Dad beforehand, because I know my Dad is an old fashioned auld sod and is really into that kinda thing.
    My BF wasn't worried about my Dad saying no, as he gets on really well with my family.

That's fair enough. My dad would just be embarassed!

What would you have done if your dad said no(hypothetically, as you said they get on very well)? Get married anyway?

Congrats on the engagement by the way. I heard it was recent enough!

What would you have done if your dad said no(hypothetically, as you said they get on very well)? Get married anyway?

Congrats on the engagement by the way. I heard it was recent enough!

Thanks a million! It was 2 weeks and 1 day ago, but whose counting?:o

Yeah, to be honest, asking my Dad was a nice, traditional, old fashioned thing to do, but ultimately, had he (my dad) have said no, I'm fairly confident my BF would have told him firmly, but politely, that it was unfortunate that he(my dad) felt that way, but that his intention was to ask me anyhow, and allow me to make up my own mind.

I would have been a bit upset to learn that my Dad didn't approve, but I am a grown woman, and I would have said yes anyway, and tried to improve relations between them afterward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Eire 4Ever wrote: »
    No its the male thing to do

Yes, like being a doctor or driving a car. Or voting!

*pats head condescendingly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭Geranium

Sure why not? If I wanted that there's no point waiting around for it to happen, he may never ask, you'd be wasting your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I made it clear to teh laydee if we were ever to tie the knot years down the line that i'd want it to be her to ask me ! Cause I like being a bast@rd like that, not fufilling her life long dream of a man getting down on one knee etc ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Luu

FruitLover wrote: »
    Yes, like being a doctor or driving a car. Or voting!

*pats head condescendingly

LOL (and for once its true!)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I asked my bf by email. He told me to stop messing and asked if I want a Chinese takeaway for dinner... I think that's a no. What do you think?

Mine asked where his ring was
    I did ask by text though since he was at work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I wouldnt because I know he wouldnt take it seriously and I think its his job to ask me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Pyr0 wrote: »
    I made it clear to teh laydee if we were ever to tie the knot years down the line that i'd want it to be her to ask me ! Cause I like being a bast@rd like that, not fufilling her life long dream of a man getting down on one knee etc ;)

I hate you, you ruined my dream :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Keeping you on yer toes baby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Whatever. Anyone wanna marry me? He obviously isn't man enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭return guide

no never ever

my wife would kill me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

nope men are not worth it! hopefully my view on marriage will change but for now noway!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

My bf asked me to ask him, would he marry me.

We were painting the kitchen at the time. I said "You missed a bit."

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I think the whole idea of a proposal is horribly outdated. A couple who has been together long enough to know they want to get married should be able to discuss it together like partners. Because at the end of the day a marriage is a partnership and a commitment to building a life together, it's nothing to do with romantic gestures.

Imo, choosing to give the person you love the slightly bigger slice of cake you just cut or taking the slightly burned sausage for yourself so they can have the nicer one will always be a million times more romantic than a big gesture. Because that's just what love is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Oooooooo, I like them on their knees...

iguana wrote: »
    Imo, choosing to give the person you love the slightly bigger slice of cake you just cut..... Because that's just what love is.

Not if they are a member of BGRH....unless divorce looks like an expensive option!

A friend of mine said to her BF last night "If I was to get down on one knee now, and ask you to Marry me, what would you say?"
    He replied "I am very glad you didn't, and are not going to, do that, as I would probably say no".

She says she only asked as a 'joke', but she is still very sorry she said anything now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

i ask my fella all the tiem... and refer to the wedding and when we get married...

ha, twill probably nevera ctualy happen, but that's not the point at all... i have the music planned out and everything...

things are alwasy more fun in theory :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

We won a holiday on Lite FM. I asked, he said yes, got married alone on a beach in a coconut plantation in the Seychelles. We were 23 and 26.

married 6 years in August.;)

Advertisement