Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New parts

Options
  • 29-02-2008 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭

Righto, just got myself the Antec p182 and some new RAM.4gigs of that ocz gold stuff from komplett.
    I have the job of moving my components into my shiny new case.
    However while im doing it im thinking i might reseat my aftermarket fan while im at it. I want to overclock my processor(e6600) at some stage and i made a balls of applying the artic silver to my processor the first time round.It idled at about 40C which i think is poor for an aftermarket fan with good thermal paste but it didnt affect performance too badly so i left it.
    My question would be should i wait and get some proper thermal grease removal stuff or is there anything more easily accessed which would do a good job?
    On a side note, anyone have any experience overclocking with that ram or something similar?
    Any advice appreciated.
    Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I used some vodka for that very job there around Christmas and it was grand, but Anti was cross with me for doing so :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You think that's bad, I use Aldi Aftershave most of the time. 40c idle is terrible for a core 2 at stock with an aftermarket cooler, if I were you I'd take it off and reapply, use a thin card to spread the paste across the cpu, make sure it is a thin but even coat. With a half decent aftermarket cooler, you should be looking at 25-30c idle at worst, and considerably lower with a good one. Mine idles at 30c with an 800mhz overclock (1.8 to 2.6) with a 19 euro air cooler.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

For cleaning thermal compound off I use isopropyl. It's basically simple rubbing alcohol. You can get it very cheap in any chemists.

Alternatively, you can pick up some thermal compound remover in the likes of Maplin BUT it will cost a few bob more than the cheaper alternative.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

For sticking paste on, a bit of cling film over your finger and apply it on as necessary which makes it very easy.

Advertisement