Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

any mechanics/ apprentices?????

Options
  • 29-02-2008 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭

just looking for mechanics / apprentices to tell me what the job is like. how long to qualify? what are wages like as an apprentice and what are they like when qualified?

i currently work in financial type work but i love cars and working with my hands so am thinking of a career change. im only 22 so i presume its not too late!

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

Hi, Im just qualified now. have been working in a main dealer for four and a half years now. I enjoy the work, but the money isnt the best, is lower than other apprenticeships but I would rather be doing something i like than just something that pays well. Also you can make quite a bit doing nixers.

Starting wage for a first year is around €185 or so. Goes up a bit every year and when qualified you should start on around 550-650 basic.

Some garages will want you to do a 3/6 month trial before they will register you with fas and from then it should take 4 years to become fully qualified.

You will go to college 3 times during this 4 years, first time (phase 2) is 20 weeks, and second (phase 4) and third (phase 6) are 10 weeks each. While in college you will be paid by fas and if you are away from home, something like more than 50 miles i think, you will be given an accomadation allowance.

If you fail exams that can delay how soon you become qualified as you would have to repeat it before you can progress to the next stage but they arent extremely difficult so isnt something to worry about.

Thanks all I can think of to say at the min, if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Kevin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭boomboombazza

good stuff, keep it coming guys!

Advertisement