Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Repair and Building Courses

Options
  • 29-02-2008 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

I have always been interested in building my own computer and maybe building and selling on. I have never done anything of the like before, but would be very interested in learning. I have tried researching courses on this sublect but have found hundreds that all seem to offer the same, they are often expensive aswell so I do not want to jump straight in and make a mistake with a not so good course. Since a ot of you guys preach the idea that it is simple to build a computer yourself I am sure this is a good place to ask. So what would your recommendations be????

Thanks,

Andy
    ;):D:rolleyes:confused::eek::cool::rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Try something like the A+ Certification to start out with anyway.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Yea, I'd give a +1 to the A+ course as a good starting point to see what takes your fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

How about something like this?

http://www.iact.ie/iopen24/product_info.php?products_id=66

This is not an A+ course, but what would be the difference?

Is there anywhere that does it cheeper?

Thanks for the help,
    Andy
    ;):rolleyes::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

A+ is more widely recognised..

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭CorkFenian

Don't pay to do a course, do three things,

1.Buy a nice cheap pc, for a few hundred, familireise ureself with the basics,

2.Buy Upgrading and Repairing PCs (18th Edition) (Hardcover)
    by Scott Mueller (Author) , you can buy this online, i bought it for €30 through Amazon, its a brilliant reference book,

3.Book the A+ exams

Building ure own machine is one thing, building and selling them on is completely different, companies that do it can buy materials, much cheaper than you or I, got a pc built through a crowd for a €800 cheaper than komplett could do, and its a high end spec enough...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

OP, A+ is what I'm doing and it's what I've been recommended to do buy every person I've spoken to.

ok so ive taut bout dis one, im gonna do de A+ examination but i need to know a bit more about it, i no wer 2 do it an dat an i hav de website, im just reading upo bout it nw bt wat shud i no xtra bout it?

And what do u mean bout doin it "4 a strt", wer wud i go frm der? i no im jumpn ahead here bt stil, wats de most recommended? wat hav u lot dun? wat hav use got under ur belt an wat was de best or most recognized?

dis book, "Upgrading and Repairing PCs (18th Edition) (Hardcover)", has anyone else used it, is it any gud?

Andy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Why can't you type properly like you did here.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55226595&postcount=20

ok so I have thought about this one, im going to do thee A+ examination but i need to know a bit more about it, i know where to do it and that and i have the website, im just reading about it now but what should i know extra about it?

This book, "Upgrading and Repairing PCs (18th Edition) (Hardcover)", has anyone else used it, is it any good?

Andy

P.S. - Hows That? :mad::mad::mad: I edited a bit because I found another thread answering my other question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Haven't read it. Seems a standard book. Theres reviews of it online. For example. http://www.amazon.com/Upgrading-Repairing-PCs-18th/dp/0789736977

Personally I learnt by building my own, reading the web. Never had a book.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Ive got the book , its very good , no doubt about it , and has been a solid reference book for years , in terms of using it as a guide to build a PC though , Im not so sure , it has far too much information in it , it has info for any PC that ever existed right back to the first IBM machines , which I might add , most people these days wouldnt even recognise as a PC.

So , as a reference , its great , as a how to book , no , you'd spend far too much time wading through irrelevant stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

mcgowaner wrote: »
    (snip)
    P.S. - Hows That? :mad::mad::mad: I edited a bit because I found another thread answering my other question.

Why the Mad-smilies? He wasn't nit-picking over a few typoes but seriously the previous post was barely understandable.
    You should checkout www.techexams.net aswell, they have a full fledged A+ subforum with a lot of detail on the new exams and recommended reading material.

Advertisement