Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Iphone Email

• 29-02-2008 4:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

Has anybody managed to get email sending working with the Iphone. i am with vodafone, was using a blackberry until i changed. The clock and weather updates work fine, and I can receive email. BUT I cant send it and its driving me nuts. I have searched the web for the last few weeks but cant find an answer. I know that Vodafone dont support EDGE but they do support GPRS.

What settings have you used for sending ie smtp settings?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Gryzor

what email is it??? gmail, hotmail...??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

OOps.. forgot that detail. I have 2 email accounts oceanfree and vodafone. Can receive on both but not send

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

are you using mail.vodafone.ie as the outgoing (smtp) server?

have you tried including your vodafone email username and password details for the outgoing mail server also?

I have tried mail, mail1, smtp but doesnt work. i am wondering has vodafone done something to allow a blackberry(old phone) to connect that doesnt allow a standard phone to work. My previous phone to the blackberry, nokia n70 worked fine, but I cant get the settings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

mail.vodafone.ie is their SMTP server... when you entered your vodafone login username and password (checking they were entered correctly) in the outgoing details did that make any difference?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Pataman wrote: »
    I have tried mail, mail1, smtp but doesnt work. i am wondering has vodafone done something to allow a blackberry(old phone) to connect that doesnt allow a standard phone to work. My previous phone to the blackberry, nokia n70 worked fine, but I cant get the settings.

O2 would only allow phones with correct IMEI's for their devices to connect. Perhaps it's something similar to that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Using Gmail and no issues whatsoever. IMAP working perfectly too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yeah, recommend using GMail with IMAP (as opposed to POP3).

Excellent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Kurn

basquille wrote: »
    Yeah, recommend using GMail with IMAP (as opposed to POP3).

Excellent!

Can I ask why, and does this stop the getting a copy of your e-mail that you send using gmail? Sorry for taking over the thread, but i dont think this is worth starting a new one?

johnmryan wrote: »
    Can I ask why, and does this stop the getting a copy of your e-mail that you send using gmail? Sorry for taking over the thread, but i dont think this is worth starting a new one?
    I use IMAP where possibly simply due to the fact that when I view my e-mails at work, I don't like to go home to see POP3 report and download new e-mails only to have them be the same ones I viewed at work.

IMAP will download the headers initially and you can click on an e-mail to view the body and / or attachments and it's also got a live status (the e-mails I view on my phone will immediately be marked as read in the Gmail open in my browser on my computer, and vice-versa).

PS - and to answer your question, you won't get a copy of the messages you sent in your Inbox. They'll stay as headers in your sent items.

• Advertisement

SDooM wrote: »
    O2 would only allow phones with correct IMEI's for their devices to connect. Perhaps it's something similar to that?

It might be worth mywhile contacting them about this. the only problem is as soon as they hear its about the iphone you get the standard answer, "we dont support it" rather than actually offering you a solution.

How do i use imap with a pop account?

Pataman wrote: »
    How do i use imap with a pop account?
    It depends if IMAP is supported by your e-mail provider.

But instead of pop.emaildomain.com, try imap.emaildomain.com.

For example:

pop.gmail.com is Gmail's POP server
    imap.gmail.com is Gmail's IMAP server

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Kurn

basquille wrote: »
    I use IMAP where possibly simply due to the fact that when I view my e-mails at work, I don't like to go home to see POP3 report and download new e-mails only to have them be the same ones I viewed at work.

IMAP will download the headers initially and you can click on an e-mail to view the body and / or attachments and it's also got a live status (the e-mails I view on my phone will immediately be marked as read in the Gmail open in my browser on my computer, and vice-versa).

PS - and to answer your question, you won't get a copy of the messages you sent in your Inbox. They'll stay as headers in your sent items.

I just did this - thanks did not know it was possible with iphone, can I ask does this check for e-mails automatically - because I dont see the account in my mail settings - so I cant select the option to check of mail every hour.

Update: A restart of my iPhone fixed the problem.

Advertisement