Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Wild Trout Season

Options
  • 29-02-2008 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

With many rivers and lakes due to start their new trout season in a few weeks, what tactics will you be using e rods, flies, wet/dry/nypmh?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Trolling , 7cm rapalas, tassie devils and lane minnows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

TNT/Dynamite etc...

works every time...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

Well my bad lads but I jumped the gun on the trout season. Im a beginner and was eager to start this year. Thought I did my research and confused myself into thinking the trout season started on the 1st everywhere. I was on boards.ie to see if anyone knew a good place on the dodder, I was told that the waterfall under the bridge opposite the cop shop in Rathfarnham was a good spot so a friend and I with our little telescopics from argos and some worms and bread mosied on down on Saturday.Realised when we got there that it was the Owendore not the Dodder at all. And it wasnt a great spot,it was filthy. We had worms on floats and not a bite.We packed up and went to Bushy Park.Same again with the worms on a float at the big waterfall,nothing.We walked further down the Milltown direction and met a chap who had caught and released what he says were two nice sized trout with a rusty old spinner.He told us that he saw lads catching trout regularly at the waterfall we'd been at.With worms but with no floats,Just the hook and a few weights. He left and we took over his spot,My friend cast in with no float I kept my float on.He caught a lovely little brownie (to my disgust) which we unhooked and it happily swam off. Then a chap came down and said we'd got the date wrong and its only up in Boher na Brianna where the season starts on the first.He said he was on the Dodder Anglers Committee.So we said fair enough and wrapped it up.He told us about the pass etc so we'll happily be joining up and be back on Paddys day. he advised to avoid fishing at the waterfalls he said it gets too busy.He left and we went to go when some mad ould fellah came down saying he had a warrant and that he could take our gear off us,Said he was a water officer which I know there are but he was just a mad bollocks so we told him to eff off.Now I cant wait for Paddies day,have our little spot ear marked.Good luck to all on the 17th! Those who are sober anyway

Oh and any tips welcome,bait etc heard the wiers at firhouse was a good spot too

• Registered Users Posts: 20 THE 1

anyone hear how the great western lakes are fishing ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭bing3

Anyone know when the season opens on the Nore around Durrow, Co. Laois and what are some good fly patterns to start with?

Are the brownies in the Dodder good eating? Would you catch anything else there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

A cold;)
    Any wild brownie will taste good if cooked right, surprising how different they taste from lake to small mountain stream to big river or a boggy spring, all very nice tho

Where exactly did they release the trout, Went down to the dodder yesterday not a bite! but the fish were definately there! I could hear them splashing and a couple of time I saw them jumping out of the water. Met two lads who were there all day,had a serious set up and loads of gear,they caught 3 between them everyone else we met about 12 lads all together who hadnt caught a thing! Worms, flys, spinners not a bite. After we packed up at about 5 we met one other chap who had caught one fish and he had been ground baiting the same swim all day! Are they fed to the brim before they were released. We were at a spot near bushy park where we caught trout plenty of times,they were definately in there though.What was going on...I dont know! Our day got worse after that,we decided we wernt going home empty handed that day so we jumped into the car went home got the big rods and drove out tp dun laoighre. We walked out to the end of the West Pier and fished with feathers and spinners till the light went at about 7,Not a nibble!Is the east pier better or were all the fish hungover?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Popanddrop

My personal favourite way to fish for wild brownies is to wade in the river which is quite small and cast up stream, Guarnteed that if you keep the line tight a fish will bite, also when using the worms this way I like also to spin them retrieving upstream, these are two methods that have worked extremelly well for me and hopefully for you.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Cormdogg wrote: »
    Are the brownies in the Dodder good eating? Would you catch anything else there?

Probably a dose of the Screamin' Yab Yabs:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Popanddrop

Had three great sessions over the last 3 days, monday evening, yesterday evening/night and this morning at 6.30am. Have been landing a good number of trout all on the worms I dig from a local spot. Had 5 brownies yesterday in 10mins. Tactics: Waded into center of river ( about 2.5ft high) cast a worm up scream and jigged and reeled in slowly back. Got a nice 22.5cm brownie later on last night, not huge but still a good scrap on 6lb line.
    How have you guys been doing so far in the trout season?

Where on the dodder do you fish Pop?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

he's in cork, so I quite doubt it.

anyways, haven't been out yet for wild browns, I don't see much point either with the amount of polish and lithuanians out and about, they're keeping trout as small as 6 inches or so, in 1 word, it's a 'joke'.

used to be able to go down the liffey, 2 hours worming, about 15 browns, now... lucky to get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

The dodder is a hard little river to fish, especially on the fly. Spinning small black or brass mepps always worked for me. Never blanked that way.

cormdogg was the auld fella claiming to be a water officer on a bike, scruffy old bloke. His off his trolley.

I also heard that the river is fishing terrible so far so dont get dis-hearted try again when it warms up a bit.

Advertisement