Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help! Isuzu info needed!!

Options
  • 29-02-2008 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hi

Sorry to sound like a total helpless female

My old and beloved Disco is dying.. I think.. very very poorly. Need an interim car asap.. Must be a 4x4 and must be cheap!

Found an Isuzu Trooper (Imported) 1993.. looks clean, auto, 130k. Diesel. Is only 2grand.. which is perfect.. for 2k if it lasts me 2 years I'll be happy.. Then can save some ££ and buy another Disco (I know they are rubbish but I like them)

Rang about Isuzu and man said..

Has a low speed vibration - says prolly tracking but worst case is track rod end ? Is this (a) likely (b) expensive..

Timing Belt light is on - He says that belt replaced 10k Km's ago but light needs switching off from under dash ? Is this a bullsh*t ?

Should I not be touching this with someone elses bargepole or is it worth a look ?

If am going need to go tomorrow morning so quick replies tonight would be great thanks!

Bx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭TheB

Anyone ?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Firstly, you should not consider parting with two grand until someone independent can clarify the several issues. I would not believe what a seller says to be honest as you really have no comeback!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Those 3.1 engine isuzus were considered very hardy engines. You could get lucky even if it's had a hard past. Automatic?? You sure you want an auto? harder on fuel. As for the timing belt the rule is; if in doubt change it. The suspension component could be pricey too. Between 250 and 400 E wouldn't surprise me to have it replaced....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

As regards the timing belt, i would see if there is a receipt for the work on the timing belt. If not, I would be a bit wary bout the belt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

I had a trooper old smoker cost me 3 grand never serviced it did nothing to it it went and went. The radiator had to be replaced was all i had it for a few years. I liked it, it was short wheel base so was a handfull in the wet. Pretty tough yoke but fairly basic clunky I think is the word.

I also had a nissan patrol the mk2 6 cylinder diesel around 1989 model year. I got it for a few hundred quid excellent machine rough as a snails bottom but just a great drive the 6 cylinder engine and drive train made an excellent noise. but it just shouted " Go on try to break me " engine girders and a seat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Sorry just an additional note, if your used to driving landrovers on road. All landrovers have a centre differential (well some really old ones didn't).

This makes them permanent 4 wheel drive and quite stable on wet twisty roads.

almost no other 4by 4 in this segment has this ( I think none actually ).

They all have auto front hubs, which essentially makes them rear wheel drive for road use, okay in the dry, but these short vehicles can be a handfull on wet twisty roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

someone questioned the fact that its an auto , 1st of all you have to realise that as a nation , we have by and large the same view of automatic cars as we do of nuclear power
    we avoided autos like the plague in this country , were unique in this regard globally
    not to be sexist but seeing that your a lady , i would say an auto jeep would suit you much better

Advertisement