Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

WANTED! People for speed camera debate on Questions and Answers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

stevec wrote: »
    I dont mean any disrespect to the recently bereaved families.

Does anyone actually know the details of these incidents, the only one I heard about was the guys going the wrong way on a dual carriageway.

Reason I'm asking: it speed cameras had been in place, would they have prevented any of these deaths?

Naas road accident was a car travelling in wrong direction on wrong side of carriageway

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0302/rta.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

E92 wrote: »
    The UK are actually planning to get rid of some of their speed cameras apparently.

I agree with the others about the pro speed camera argument having a field day on Monday night on Q&A.

Sometimes when tradgedies happen common sense goes out the window I'm afraid.

http://www.speedcam.co.uk/gatso2b.htm

yes this is how some of them were got rid off, now I can see this kinda thing happening over here, apparently a tyre draped over the housing unit and set alight with with petrols is how a lot of the speed camera's have been damaged in UK plus the odd up-rooting or two with a JCB,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

kbannon wrote: »
    Is there any idea as to who may be on the panel and what other groups have been 'planted' in the audience.
    To be honest and given the aformentioned campaign by RTE at reducing road deaths, I reckon it will be a massacre on whoever does this!

no worrys , if i can win a chicken vs the egg debate anythings possable

pm sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭MarkN

Good luck to anyone taking part from here.

I hope the pr*ck farmer in his 08 jeep that nearly had a heart attack this morning because I was sticking to the speed limit in front of a notorious gatso spot watches it. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

JHMEG wrote:
    Last summer I drove 900 miles across the UK, roughly from Holyhead to Dover, more than 800 miles of which was motorway, and didn't see a single speed camera.

Are you sure? - I done same milage acorss UK one weekend last august, mostly on motor ways and every few miles there was speed cameras, they have signs up any all to tell you - they are on the bridges of the crossing overhead roads. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

We haven't got anybody to do this so if anyone is interested please PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

JHMEG wrote: »
    Bit like I find it funny how they complain about having a crap train service. If their's is crap, what's ours?

Eh.... safe? Fair few major train accidents in Britain IIRC. Not too many in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Someone should attack the minister on the right not to self incriminate and the whole owner liability as regards to speeding offences. Even if the owner can prove they were not driving but they don't know for some reason who is they still charge him with speeding. In the UK if you don't name a driver they charge you with failure to supply information. In the UK you can argue the point in court that you don't know who was driving. Not here in the banana republic.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Someone should attack the minister on the right not to self incriminate and the whole owner liability as regards to speeding offences. Even if the owner can prove they were not driving but they don't know for some reason who is they still charge him with speeding. In the UK if you don't name a driver they charge you with failure to supply information. In the UK you can argue the point in court that you don't know who was driving. Not here in the banana republic.

Actually I wouldn't waste what little time the anti-camera side is gonna get on the program on a small technical point like this. Most people will say that the proportion of speeding offences where the owner does not know who is driving is very small. It's a fair point alright but Q&A is probably not the time for it. More of a high court challenge issue if the constitution's on your side.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Q & A have rang me, but I can't go - is there anyone in the Dublin area who's prepared to go ?? I can write up a question in short order so you'd only have to read it out ?

PM's a.s.a.p. to me for producer's number.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

The program has started, i think its second on the agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

javaboy wrote: »
    Eh.... safe? Fair few trains in Britain IIRC. Not too many in Ireland.

;)

Mike.

Well i wasted my time watching that "debate"

Cionád wrote: »
    Well i wasted my time watching that "debate"
    Yep - was meant to be in bed for 10, stayed up just for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭Niall1234

Oh dear. Not very much discussion at all.

The Green Party woman wanted them all to be hidden and not to be told where they are. Is this legal with European Law ?

The whole point of speed cameras is that you get a person to slow down for a dangerous section ahead.

The foreign guy made the most obvious point that its speeders who are 40mph over the limit are the dangerous ones, not those who go 10mph over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

What a joke there mustn't have been any interest in it from people.

God cant believe i wasted so much time of my life watching a bunch of people talk bull****.

Niall1234 wrote: »
    The Green Party woman wanted them all to be hidden and not to be told where they are. Is this legal with European Law ?

She also wanted them hidden in between speed ramps to cut down on emissions!

The whole point of speed cameras is that you get a person to slow down for a dangerous section ahead.

The foreign guy made the most obvious point that its speeders who are 40mph over the limit are the dangerous ones, not those who go 10mph over.
    I didn't like that comment of that Mary White woman at all. You should definetely be made aware of where they are - In the end of the day people will end up finding out where they are anyways so why not let the foreigners know of the dangerous spots of the roads? - Hiding them is just stupid.

yayamark wrote: »
    God cant believe i wasted so much time of my life watching a bunch of people talk bull****.

That foreign woman seems clueless on everything so far.

Wasn't that the TCD woman?

• Advertisement

Mary White Email: marywhite@oceanfree.net

I'm going to let her know what I think of Speed Cameras

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

2-1 of the audience in favour of speed cameras i see by a show of hands :rolleyes:

what a sad deluded country we have become that the wool can be pulled over peoples eyes this easily :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Wasn't that the TCD woman?

I got lost in the (almost) across the board support, yes it was probably her.

Yeah I hadn't a clue what she was on about - just heard the word emissions. That Mary White one pissed me off, she looked so proud of herself after saying that comment about hiding the cameras.
    Of course half the audience were looking at each other as well when voting to make sure they were part of the majority. People were afraid to vote against it id say, thinking they might be a minority.

So what's the point of a limit? If there was an 80km/h speed limit on a stretch of road and the cameras only catch people doing 100+, then everybody would treat 100 as the limit. I am in favour of graded levels of punishment though. Obviously 40mph over the limit is a lot worse than 10mph over.

I think that was the other woman to Mary White's left. She was saying that speed ramps are a bad idea since they cause you to speed up and slow down a lot which is bad for emissions. A speed camera would do the job just as well with no spoiler damage/wasted fuel.
    I didn't like that comment of that Mary White woman at all. You should definetely be made aware of where they are - In the end of the day people will end up finding out where they are anyways so why not let the foreigners know of the dangerous spots of the roads? - Hiding them is just stupid.

I think a mix of hidden ones and advertised ones is best. If they advertised every single fixed and mobile camera, people would just slow down when they knew they were being watched and then speed up again. It would be like the TV license inspector dropping an appointment notice in your letterbox in advance of an inspection and then going "Aw shucks another one is out when I call. I'll try again next year."

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Mary White Email: marywhite@oceanfree.net

I'm going to let her know what I think of Speed Cameras
    Don't waste your time. The Green wing of FF (formerly known as the Green Party) want to rid the world of cars, trucks, and anything that cause emissions. She won't give a toss what you think!

Yeah I hadn't a clue what she was on about - just heard the word emissions. That Mary White one pissed me off, she looked so proud of herself after saying that comment about hiding the cameras.
    Of course half the audience were looking at each other as well when voting to make sure they were part of the majority. People were afraid to vote against it id say, thinking they might be a minority.

I think it was closer than 2-1 anyway, probably 60-40. Also, I'd say some of them were scared they'd be asked a question or something if they were opposed

Took ages for hands to go up. There were hands going up 10 seconds after the first one went up.

D_murph wrote: »
    2-1 of the audience in favour of speed cameras i see by a show of hands :rolleyes:

what a sad deluded country we have become that the wool can be pulled over peoples eyes this easily :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I thought it was funny how he posed the two questions. He asked who thinks they will cause a significant reduction in road deaths first. Then he asked something like "Are they too one dimensional and a case of misspent resources?"

I'm in favour of speed cameras but oddly enough I would probably have had my arm raised higher for the second question than the first. :confused:

• Advertisement

javaboy wrote: »
    So what's the point of a limit? If there was an 80km/h speed limit on a stretch of road and the cameras only catch people doing 100+, then everybody would treat 100 as the limit. I am in favour of graded levels of punishment though. Obviously 40mph over the limit is a lot worse than 10mph over.

You for strict speed limits so with fines and penalty points for 1 mph over the limit.

Gardai have sense. Most ignore 5mph over the limit. I've gone past check points doing even more than this. Speed cameras won't give you the benefit of the doubt and in the long run will infuriate Irish motorists.

Speed limits aren't the be all and end all. 10 mph on a motorway aint going to kill anyone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement