Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

WANTED! People for speed camera debate on Questions and Answers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That Mary White is a raving nutter. Part time driving licences anyone?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭Niall1234

mike65 wrote: »

Mike.

Is that the very same one. She's just nose dived in my view. Absolutely ludicrous idea which would prob have ended up killing people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

In case people don't know, a lot of people that attend Q&A are a select few people, the political parties have the lion's share of the tickets, with very few for the general public, and as all the political parties are in favour of speed cameras, then is it hardly surprising that there were so many in favour of speed cameras(nobody is going to go against the party they support on national TV)?

I have yet to speak to anyone who is in favour of speed cameras by the way. Even people who see cars as a device for moving people from A to B are against them. I would like to think that the poll here is more accurate of what the general public think(though as this is a forum to do with cars, we're more likely to be biased against them then most people I'm afraid).

People may be for them now(especially as long as they think they won't get caught), but you can bet your left leg that when people get caught(and they're bound to going on the money the Government expect to make on them) and there will be no discretion that people especially in this country will tire of them very quickly. Nobody objects to something if they think they'll get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Niall1234 wrote: »
    Is that the very same one. She's just nose dived in my view. Absolutely ludicrous idea which would prob have ended up killing people.
    http://www.greenparty.ie/en/news/latest_news/new_driving_licence_system_could_be_solution_to_rural_isolation

Hilarious alright, they should also have Minimum Speed Cameras, to ensure people are going quick enough

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

kbannon wrote: »
    Don't waste your time. The Green wing of FF (formerly known as the Green Party) want to rid the world of cars, trucks, and anything that cause emissions. She won't give a toss what you think!

The Green party under FF remind me of when your little brother used to want to play your SNES/MEGADRIVE/(insert whatever games console was the dog's b***** in your day) and you would give him a controller that wasn't plugged in. They're well intentioned amateurs who got thrown in the deep end and are floundering. A lot of ideological young voters put them in power and hopping into bed with FF is likely gonna get them destroyed at the next election.

• Advertisement

God, this is all going to end in tears.

In my view, Irish people don't like abiding by the law of the land. Its in our nature.

The Brits on the other hand, are far more stringent when it comes to following the law. Yet, look at the massive backlash against speed cameras in the UK. Look at the uproar. Look at the amount of vandalism against Gatso's over there.

Imagine what is going to happen here in a few years when ordinary motorists who aren't a threat on the road get 2 points for 3 mph over the limit. I'm telling you now, those in favour now, will be against give a few years.

javaboy wrote: »
    The Green party under FF remind me of when your little brother used to want to play your SNES/MEGADRIVE/(insert whatever games console was the dog's b***** in your day) and you would give him a controller that wasn't plugged in. They're well intentioned amateurs who got thrown in the deep end and are floundering. A lot of ideological young voters put them in power and hopping into bed with FF is likely gonna get them destroyed at the next election.

The Green Party works fine in a country like Switzerland with a nice public transport setup. However this is Ireland. Indeed, hoping into bed with FF will finish this party off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

mike65 wrote: »

Mike.

Who the hell votes for these people?

In any right minded country the like of her would ahve it hard to get elected to the parish council....and this woman is hinting at running for the Áras? *shakes head*

Back on topic; I'm glad I didn't volunteer to speak on that show....what an utter waste of everyone's time it would have been, especially mine.
    Q&A is nothing but staged drivel as alluded to by someone above...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Just saw the question asked - a complete bull**** question put to the audience.........they first should have disallowed anyone who doesn't have a licence.

The minister also talked rubbish - "31% reductions due to cameras in the UK" Complete bull****. How about it also brought the highest level of drunken, dangerous and uninsured driving there too...........can I blame the cameras for that?

Damn right I can.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Wertz wrote: »
    In any right minded country the like of her would ahve it hard to get elected to the parish council....and this woman is hinting at running for the Áras? *shakes head*

The Mary White that wants to run fir the Áras is in the Soldiers of Destiny and is a Senator, not a TD in the nutty Green Party;).

Q&A as alluded to above is a sham of political punditry. Only the peeps who spend thier lives on politics.ie could really be interested and they watch through cynical eyes.

Mike.

• Advertisement

You for strict speed limits so with fines and penalty points for 1 mph over the limit.

Gardai have sense. Most ignore 5mph over the limit. I've gone past check points doing even more than this. Speed cameras won't give you the benefit of the doubt and in the long run will infuriate Irish motorists.

Speed limits aren't the be all and end all. 10 mph on a motorway aint going to kill anyone.

I did mention about graded punishments. Maybe people caught doing up to 5km over could have these offences accumulate and when you get a certain amount within a certain time, you could get a penalty point. A bit like the cumulative yellow card system in football. If it's just a case of momentary leadfoot and the driver does not normally exceed the limit, then in a months time the slate is wiped clean. If however you're caught between 6 and 20kph over, it's points. Up to40kph is twice as many points etc.

That would be one way they could give the benefit of the doubt. I know that's not likely to happen while there is money to be made though. :(

galwaytt wrote: »
    Just saw the question asked - a complete bull**** question put to the audience.........they first should have disallowed anyone who doesn't have a licence.

The minister also talked rubbish - "31% reductions due to cameras in the UK" Complete bull****. How about it also brought the highest level of drunken, dangerous and uninsured driving there too...........can I blame the cameras for that?

Damn right I can.

What minister? That was Gay Mitchell, an MEP and member of Fine Gael, the opposition. And I think he said France, not UK but I could be wrong.

What minister? That was Gay Mitchell, an MEP and member of Fine Gael, the opposition. And I think he said France, not UK but I could be wrong.
    Yeah he said France alright I think

Indeed he said France. It has to be said however, that France has been incredibly pro-active in attempts to reduce road deaths.

I would imagine that the 31% fall in road fatalities had more to do with just the roll out of speed cameras.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Not a word about the revenue it will generate - only a 200% overstatement on what it costs.:mad:

That was drivel - no more, no less.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I would imagine that the 31% fall in road fatalities had more to do with just the roll out of speed cameras.

Especially as only 20% of fatalities are attributed to speed.

The fatalities in France were cut because someone - the President of the country, decided he wanted to leave office having made a genuine difference to ordinary people and be well thought of, so he simply said to the cops - get out and enforce the law. Nothing more complex than that.

Mike.

What a pile of crap - Did ye hear the Green party one saying she hoped they would put the cameras on the secondary roads where the majority of the accidents happen?

But sure they want profit and will put them on primary roads where the volume is!!
    It only makes sense from a business point of view and the private companies should only be expected to run this as a business!!

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

Took ages for hands to go up. There were hands going up 10 seconds after the first one went up.

i saw that too :rolleyes:

so were they giving their opinion or waiting to see which was the popular one :rolleyes:?

not to worry though. im sure that like someone mentioned here already that the people in that audience were not going to vote against their own anyway and the way they voted so "carefully" would seem to prove that.

and that Mary White saying that they should be hidden? i think after her last (dangerous) suggestion regarding the part time licences that maybe she should hide, in shame for coming up with something so stupid :D.

god help us if she actually had the power to implement her ridiculous ideas :rolleyes:

D_murph wrote: »
    i saw that too :rolleyes:

so were they giving their opinion or waiting to see which was the popular one :rolleyes:?

not to worry though. im sure that like someone mentioned here already that the people in that audience were not going to vote against their own anyway and the way they voted so "carefully" would seem to prove that.

and that Mary White saying that they should be hidden? i think after her last (dangerous) suggestion regarding the part time licences that maybe she should hide, in shame for coming up with something so stupid :D.

god help us if she actually had the power to implement her ridiculous ideas :rolleyes:

That was the other Mary White. It's confusing enough with all the female politicians in this country being called Mary as it is without them having the same second name too. What hope have we? :D

Any vote in a handpicked audience like that is likely to be skewed. It's also likely to be skewed in a forum on motors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

E92 wrote: »
    The Mary White that wants to run fir the Áras is in the Soldiers of Destiny and is a Senator, not a TD in the nutty Green Party;).

Ah...thanks for clearing that up...I was really fearing for the future of the Irish political scene there for a minute.

That was the other Mary White. It's confusing enough with all the female politicians in this country being called Mary as it is without them having the same second name too. What hope have we? :D

Any vote in a handpicked audience like that is likely to be skewed. It's also likely to be skewed in a forum on motors.

I'm fairly sure it was that Mary White from the Green Party who came up with the nutty suggestion of a two tier licence system.

I'm nearly sure too though I'm very bad with faces:

Is this the one that was on the panel?

mary_white_medium.jpg

oops my bad :o

i suppose it doesnt matter really what happens with any vote on either side of the argument if its going to happen anyway TBH

next car will have to have the james bond optional extras, i.e. sidewinder missiles and a HUD (heads up display) on the windscreen to aim them :D

Webmonkey wrote: »
    I'm nearly sure too though I'm very bad with faces:

Is this the one that was on the panel?

mary_white_medium.jpg

yep and looking every bit as intelligent :rolleyes:

D_murph wrote: »
    yep and looking every bit as intelligent :rolleyes:
    Way off topic but her teeth look like they were photoshopped in

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Way off topic but her teeth look like they were photoshopped in

lol in the unlikely event that she gets a picture taken by one of these cameras, im sure theyll show up better than her number plate :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

C'mon lads - keep the debate sensible and not insulting

I may have been wrong about the Mary White confusion. GP Mary White I think wanted two tier licenses but is not running for the Áras.

T'other Mary White wants to run for the Áras and was not on Q&A tonight. Feckin' Maries. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

E92 wrote: »
    In case people don't know, a lot of people that attend Q&A are a select few people, the political parties have the lion's share of the tickets, with very few for the general public, and as all the political parties are in favour of speed cameras, then is it hardly surprising that there were so many in favour of speed cameras(nobody is going to go against the party they support on national TV)?
    Have you any idea of the % that are available to the general public? I take it that any members of the general public that seek tickets are vetted by RTÉ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement