Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

WANTED! People for speed camera debate on Questions and Answers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

Sandwich wrote: »
    Well done IrishSteepdTraps. Interesting data.

Looks like reducing speeding is the most effective way to tackle road safety.

only you could get come to that conclusion after "reading" the data provided but then again what more can you get from a one track mind anyway :rolleyes:?

@ astraboy and all others too..

ignore this BS. nobody is as deluded as this surely so its getting obvious to me that this poster is a troll and only out to get a rise out of people who see the truth.

hopefully anyway because hed have to be a very sad individual indeed if he actually believes this drivel and illiterate also to have missed the point that Irishspeedtraps was making :rolleyes:

do not dignify this s**t with a response please and hopefully he'll get bored and leave!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Looks like reducing speeding is the most effective way to tackle road safety.

Maybe if you failed primary school maths...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Maybe if you failed primary school maths...
    No. There was no such exam in my day but fairplay to you if you got through one. I did pass maths at University level though.

I'm just interpreting the the figures on the Excel summary mentioned above, but please correcting me if I am misreading the classification:
    The biggest single cause is Went to the Wrong Side. Since there is another category for incorrect overtaking, I am taking WTRSOR to be inadvertantly being on the wrong side for whatever reason(alcohol, sleep, mobile phone, drugs etc) rather than a deliberate action. Drove through Yield/Stop sign, improper overtaking, and Exceeded safe speed, I think can be taken as as misjudged deliberate actions, of which Exceeded Safe Speed is the biggest.
    So to curtail/discourage the scope of the biggest category of people making a judgement call (i.e. what is the safe speed) incorrectly seems like a fundamentally sound approach to road safety to me.

BTW: Its entertaining in a way, but id prefer if we could cut out the personal sniping and discuss the issue. Normally those whose argument is strong dont resort to such a tactic. It is a common tactic however for those who are struggling with the substance - undermine the opposition personally when you cannot do it to their argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

No. There was no such exam in my day but fairplay to you if you got through one. I did pass maths at University level though.

I'm just interpreting the the figures on the Excel summary mentioned above, but please correcting me if I am misreading the classification:
    The biggest single cause is Went to the Wrong Side. Since there is another category for incorrect overtaking, I am taking WTRSOR to be inadvertantly being on the wrong side for whatever reason(alcohol, sleep, mobile phone, drugs etc) rather than a deliberate action. Drove through Yield/Stop sign, improper overtaking, and Exceeded safe speed, I think can be taken as as misjudged deliberate actions, of which Exceeded Safe Speed is the biggest.
    So to curtail/discourage the scope of the biggest category of people making a judgement call (i.e. what is the safe speed) incorrectly seems like a fundamentally sound approach to road safety to me.

People need to make "a judgement call" every time they sit in a car. Its better driver education that will lead to better judgements by drivers on our roads. Taking away peoples requirement to make judgements makes drivers complacent and ends up in accidents. Look how many people sail through green lights not looking to see if someone is coming the other way. They do this because the systems tells them its safe and it may not necessarily be. Accidents result. If you can't handle people making judgements on the road to a certain extent you have a larger problem then I though.

BTW: Its entertaining in a way, but id prefer if we could cut out the personal sniping and discuss the issue. Normally those whose argument is strong dont resort to such a tactic. It is a common tactic however for those who are struggling with the substance - undermine the opposition personally when you cannot do it to their argument.

Yes, and exceeding safe speed and speeding are completely different. Exceeding safe speed may be doing 75kph on a poor backroad, yet you are not "speeding". Hence my disappointment at your constant focus on speedlimits as the be all and end all of road safety. Only a smally minded person would view road safety as such a simple issue to solve, and you are both misinterpreting and ignoring plain facts in the figures above. Our argument is sound, breaking the speed limit is a very minor factor in accident rates on our roads. You just can't handle that all of what the RSA constantly spout is wrong.

Yes, and exceeding safe speed and speeding are completely different. Exceeding safe speed may be doing 75kph on a poor backroad, yet you are not "speeding". Hence my disappointment at your constant focus on speedlimits as the be all and end all of road safety. Only a smally minded person would view road safety as such a simple issue to solve, and you are both misinterpreting and ignoring plain facts in the figures above. Our argument is sound, breaking the speed limit is a very minor factor in accident rates on our roads. You just can't handle that all of what the RSA constantly spout is wrong.

People make judgement calls on our roads every day, its part of driving. If you don't want people making certain judgements then you have a bigger problem then I thought. But lets all drive a 2kph under the speed limit, that'll definitely save lives.:rolleyes: I put in the rolleyes as you clearly believe speed limits to be the silver bullet of road safety, when we all know it is not. Can you explain how the death rate is the same on autobans with and without speed limits, if your speedlimits are the answer?!:confused:

• Advertisement

astraboy wrote: »
    People make judgement calls on our roads every day, its part of driving. If you don't want people making certain judgements then you have a bigger problem then I thought. But lets all drive a 2kph under the speed limit, that'll definitely save lives.:rolleyes: I put in the rolleyes as you clearly believe speed limits to be the silver bullet of road safety, when we all know it is not. Can you explain how the death rate is the same on autobans with and without speed limits, if your speedlimits are the answer?!:confused:

X2^ i agree totally. theres loads of proof out there, such as the autobahns for example that speed limits are not as big an issue in road safety as the RSA would have you believe but hes after getting the one statistic sheet that he needed to back up his argument, despite the many others that contradict it so its like talking to a wall :rolleyes:

saying that exceeding the speed limits is the problem is an easy cop out by the government and a handy cash raising tool as well. of course its speeding and speeding alone that kills when they have laser speed guns that can measure speed but rarely ever pull anyone for the other dangerous driving related offences :rolleyes:

id like to see an excel sheet which documents the reasons people got penalty points here since their introduction and a record of the roads it happened on also.

you can bet main roads and motorways score highest for the speeding ones pretty safely IMHO :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

The biggest single cause is Went to the Wrong Side. Since there is another category for incorrect overtaking, I am taking WTRSOR to be inadvertantly being on the wrong side for whatever reason(alcohol, sleep, mobile phone, drugs etc) rather than a deliberate action.

Of course it's obviously chemically or electronically induced...it could never be for instance deliberate avoidance of; poor road surface, potholes, road edge subsidence, stray animals, pedestrians....and of course it could never be an incorrectly imposed speed limit/bad signage by a local authority, leading to a driver thinking that 80kmph was an apt speed to negotiate that particular part of the road at...resulting in a car having to cut a corner and end up across the whiteline...
    :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

D_murph wrote: »
    id like to see an excel sheet which documents the reasons people got penalty points here since their introduction and a record of the roads it happened on also

Available here:
    http://www.penaltypoints.ie/points_issued.php

Who here thinks the speed camera on the N4 opposite the Spa hotel makes a difference? all the tailgaters, speeders and bad drivers slow down for a few meters then speed back up!
    Its not even on a dangerous bend or anything...
    Why isnt that camera on some back road? Oh yeah because you dont have to be outside the speed limit to be driving dangerously on a back road..........

revenue *cough* *cough* :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

that camera is outside the spa hotel, cos there was a lot of accidents at the lights just after it.. ppl werent slowing down and were rear ending cars that were stopped at the lights.

Cameras arent necessarly atthe point where accidents occur.. but can ve on the approach to it.. or at the nearest suitible site (ie, it cant be put on a corner)

• Advertisement

stevec wrote: »

i see that "speeding" is the one big cash cow on there, as i predicted ;)

i wonder what % of the points for "speeding" were issued on back roads though :rolleyes:

pa990 wrote: »
    that camera is outside the spa hotel, cos there was a lot of accidents at the lights just after it.. ppl werent slowing down and were rear ending cars that were stopped at the lights.

Cameras arent necessarly atthe point where accidents occur.. but can ve on the approach to it.. or at the nearest suitible site (ie, it cant be put on a corner)

yeah the solution should have been getting rid of the lights!!
    forward thinking people!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

yeah the solution should have been getting rid of the lights!!
    forward thinking people!!

I thought they were putting a flyover there to get rid of those lights?

Yes, and exceeding safe speed and speeding are completely different. Exceeding safe speed may be doing 75kph on a poor backroad, yet you are not "speeding".....
    I think we do agree on this point - no need to keep making it. Speeding does not equal exceeding the 'safe' speed. Speeding is exceeding the legal limit - even if you are still driving more safely than an alternative situation where you are not exceeding the limit, but are in fact in greater danger.
    However, we cannot have either of the following:
    1) Speed limits which are optimised for every inch of the road; impossibly impractical, depends on conditions, weather, car in question, etc.
    2) Leave all the judgement of what is safe unrestricted in the hands of the individual. It would be nice if we could- we would all drive safely and at high speeds at times. But some people are reckless, more risk tending than others, or just under rate the risk. It would be Ok if it were only themselves that were at the risk, but their actions put others at risk also.

Our argument is sound, breaking the speed limit is a very minor factor in accident rates on our roads. You just can't handle that all of what the RSA constantly spout is wrong.
    If sound, I have yet to be convinced - and am not closed minded - and the data above despite it source did not do anything to change my view. I would not limit the spouting to the RSA - how come countries the world over work hard to curb speeding (limits, fines, penalties etc)? Are they all wrong and a few amateurs correct? Im not denying the right to voice an opinion - but weight given to the opinion has to according to the motivation, expertise, knowledge of those giving it. Am no pansey or sycophant - but for the moment my view is that the authorites are more likely to be correct than the dilettantes (who tend to be people looking at the issue from a starting position of wanting to go faster - a not exactly impartial starting point).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

javaboy wrote: »
    I thought they were putting a flyover there to get rid of those lights?

Yeah they are now, but whenever they put up that (box to make silly people go 60kph*) at the Spa they had not thought about that!

* I refer to before the current roadworks commenced, when the limit was 80kph and the ultra cautious slowed to 60kph or lower :eek:

how come countries the world over work hard to curb speeding (limits, fines, penalties etc)? Are they all wrong and a few amateurs correct?

"speeding" is an easy target the world over and its very easy to get police out with their laser speed guns (which have well over a half mile range FYI) and place them on the side of a road that has been designed for a speed far exceeding the artificial limit assigned to it for obvious reasons, i.e. turkey shoots :rolleyes:

if they truly meant to implement safety measures as they claim, they are making a very bad tactical error here because the back roads are relatively free of speed checks and yet these roads are where most of the fatal accidents occur. if it was about safety should they not police these roads also, hmmmmm?

i suspect that a lot of Garda time would be "wasted on these mostly dry spots", but if one life was saved it would be worth it except for the fact that speeding fines issued would drop drastically and that would make the politicians look bad :rolleyes:.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

how come countries the world over work hard to curb speeding (limits, fines, penalties etc.

To make money - plain and simple.

There are lots of statistics available on countries using cameras in the name of 'safety'.

They all make millions each year in revenue. Our own government is projecting a €70m profit from the rollout.

My arguement is and always has been - if cameras work (and stop speeding) then there should be no revenue.

At minimum they should expect the system to cost money - no, they expect to make money on it.

Any arguements made to this effect have been backed up with published figures and statements made by officials to national newspapers.

If you have anything to back up your point of view then please post it - I'm sure everyone would be interested.

On the other hand, if your point of view is merely "I trust what the government is telling me no matter what the facts are" then please back off. Don't worry, there'll be a tribunal about it sometime in the next 10 years and they'll impose a 'sun visor' tax or something to pay for it.

stevec wrote: »
    Don't worry, there'll be a tribunal about it sometime in the next 10 years and they'll impose a 'sun visor' tax or something to pay for it.

X2^ theres nothing worse than those "dilettentes" with the sun visors :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭Niall1234

Simply put Sandwich, if it wasn't all about the money, they would remove all fines and just have penalty points offences.

To me, the penalty points are far worse than any fine. But hey, the government won't do this as its a handy revenue stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Sandwich, if you have two cuts on your arm, one is a little graze and not bleeding much, the other has severed an artery and is bleeding heavily, which one do you attend to first? Most sensible people would attend to the one bleeding heaviest. The Motorways and Dual Carriageways represent the little graze, the rural roads represent the serious cut with the severed artery. Why are the Gardaí, RSA and Government giving more importance to the little graze?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Niall1234 wrote: »
    Simply put Sandwich, if it wasn't all about the money, they would remove all fines and just have penalty points offences.

To me, the penalty points are far worse than any fine. But hey, the government won't do this as its a handy revenue stream.
    +1

From my experience abroad most police forces accept a certain level of speeding on large roads like highways etc, as the limit is too low. Just because the government says its all about speed does not make it so. Perhaps I'm cynical, but I don't think the road safety issue is that simple. Governments all over the world go after speed as its an easy target.

Finally, the state of Montana removed speed limits for a period and road deaths DROPPED significantly. They were forced by the US supreme court to put back in place speed limits and the road deaths ROSE. Explain that sandwich. :rolleyes: Perhaps it was down to a different approach to policing while there were no limits, or people simply choose the most appropriate speed for the conditions, but the figures do not lie.
    I have yet to be convinced - and am not closed minded - and the data above despite it source did not do anything to change my view.
    Sounds pretty closed minded to me when your faced with raw data proving our point and you stick to your tired and simple position without much reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Everyone, please have a look at this. Some very interesting arguments against having speed limits. Some very interesting arguments about having speed limits too. There is 22 pages there to read, I've only read the first one or 2 pages, but fascinating stuff.

I'll leave it to ye to decide what ye think of it(especially what JJBoxster has to say)! I wonder have I opened a can of worms with this:)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Sandwich, if you have two cuts on your arm, one is a little graze and not bleeding much, the other has severed an artery and is bleeding heavily, which one do you attend to first? Most sensible people would attend to the one bleeding heaviest. The Motorways and Dual Carriageways represent the little graze, the rural roads represent the serious cut with the severed artery. Why are the Gardaí, RSA and Government giving more importance to the little graze?
    +1

It is all about the money, and it always will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Further to our debate on speed and "speed kills"(FWIW it's actually speed squared that increases your risk of dying), the Tory party in the UK wants to raise the speed limit on Motorways there to 80 mph and get rid of speed cameras, and introduce "positive points" for drivers who take advanced driving tests.

I don't see how positive points would work, but incentives to get people to drive better have to be welcomed.

Link here.

What a brilliant idea, the sooner the UK gets the Conservatives in power, the better, I just wish we had like minded politicians in this country(though I know we don't).

Finally, the state of Montana removed speed limits for a period and road deaths DROPPED significantly. They were forced by the US supreme court to put back in place speed limits and the road deaths ROSE. Explain that sandwich.
    No need to explain it. Just accept the facts - if thats the case then I am all for removing speed limits.

On the topic of speeding fines being a govt ruse to fill their coffers - they are the govt - they can just change taxes as they wish. No need to to go to elaborate, expensive, difficult to enforce schemes such as placing limits on driving speed, then come up with a rad police force to check on it, and technology to catch people people so that you can give them a fine. Just raise taxes. Govts arent that imaginative.

Im just guessing here, but the US supreme court forced Montana to reininstate speed limits because it ruled they were not earning enough taxes by devious methods?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Get it right folks:
    Montana

Reasonable and prudent era

In the years before 1974's 55 mph National Maximum Speed Limit, and for three years after the 1995 65 mph repeal, Montana had a non-numeric "reasonable and prudent" speed limit during the daytime on most rural roads. Montana Code Annotated (MCA) Section 61-8-303 said "A person . . . shall drive the vehicle . . . at a rate of speed no greater than is reasonable and proper under the conditions existing at the point of operation . . . so as not to unduly or unreasonably endanger the life, limb, property, or other rights of a person entitled to the use of the street or highway."

Montana law also specified a few numeric limits: a night speed limit, usually 55 or 65 mph (90–105 km/h), depending on road type; 25 mph (40 km/h) in urban districts and 35 mph (60 km/h) in construction zones.

The phrase "reasonable and prudent" is found in the language of most state speed laws. This allows prosecution under non-ideal conditions such as rain or snow when the posted speed limit would be imprudently fast.

No speed limit

On March 10, 1996,[38] a Montana Patrolman issued a speed ticket to a driver traveling at 85 mph (140 km/h) on a stretch of State Highway 200. The 50 year-old male driver (Rudy Stanko) was operating a 1996 Camaro with less than 10,000 miles (16,000 km) on the odometer. Although the officer gave no opinion as to what would have been a reasonable speed, the driver was convicted. The driver appealed to the Montana Supreme Court. The Court reversed the conviction in case No. 97-486 on December 23, 1998; it held that a law requiring drivers to drive at a non-numerical "reasonable and proper" speed "is so vague that it violates the Due Process Clause ... of the Montana Constitution".

75 mph speed limit

Despite this reversal, Montana's then Governor, Mark Racicot, did not convene an emergency session of the legislature. Montana technically had no speed limit whatsoever until June 1999, after the Montana legislature met in regular session and enacted a new law. The law's practical effect was to require posted limits on all roads and disallow any speed limit higher than 75 mph (120 km/h).

Montana law still contains a section that says "a person shall operate a vehicle in a careful and prudent manner and at a reduced rate of speed no greater than is reasonable and prudent under the conditions existing at the point of operation, taking into account the amount and character of traffic, visibility, weather, and roadway conditions." However, this is a standard clause that appears in other state traffic codes and has the practical effect of requiring a speed lower than the posted limit where a lower speed is necessary to maintain a reasonable and prudent road manner.

Damn. I was sure it would have the not enough revenue for the state government thing that caused them to introduce specified limits,

But did the statistics on increased deaths not show them the error of their ways, and are there any plans to revert to the safer no numerical speed limit status?

E92 wrote: »
    Everyone, please have a look at this. Some very interesting arguments against having speed limits. Some very interesting arguments about having speed limits too. There is 22 pages there to read, I've only read the first one or 2 pages, but fascinating stuff.

I'll leave it to ye to decide what ye think of it(especially what JJBoxster has to say)! I wonder have I opened a can of worms with this:)?
    read through 4 pages - guys a complete nutter:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

E92 wrote: »
    (FWIW it's actually speed squared that increases your risk of dying)

Is a wooly statement..

What you may be thinking of is the kinetic energy of a moving body which is proportional to the square of its speed. i.e at 50kph the energy is x, at 70 it is 2x, at 100 it is 4x.

But the link between risk of dying and speed is more than just the energy deforming the body at impact. It is also a function of human reaction times, stopping distances, and vehicle manoverability....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement