Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gardaí driving official vehicles without full training

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

kbannon wrote: »
    That suggests that you should get out of the way and oblige the emergency vehicle. It does not say that you must get out of the way.

Look I am not trying to start a F** argument here. I got from the posters post was that he/she was trying to tell me they have no right of way.

Also to clear this up, in my own words, what I do is get out of the way.

I like the fact that you avoid my original problem of members driving like rally drivers down 50kph areas, and flying threw junctions, as the speeds they are dropping down to are near 40-50 threw a junction. In saying that its rare I see it every 2 months or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Exactly why I take issue with the GRA - they allow their members to be put in this position! Either go with the flow or risk your career!
    I got very disillusioned with the job to be honest for so many reasons and thats not even among the reasons! Thats whats coming across not that I feel very strongly about this issue - more that I feel strongly about an accumulation of many many issues!!!

anyway Keep on rockin dude!

I was of the understanding that the GRA isn't a union as the Gardai aren't allowed have one. Is that true? That would mean that it has very little power in matters like these wouldn't it?

javaboy wrote: »
    I was of the understanding that the GRA isn't a union as the Gardai aren't allowed have one. Is that true? That would mean that it has very little power in matters like these wouldn't it?

Yes they are a representative association not a union.
    BUT

The drivers on chiefs do not HAVE to apply for chiefs! they do not have to drive!!! so the representative association could easily issue a notice saying dont drive without the course.
    They could so easily do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭GTC

kbannon wrote: »
    That suggests that you should get out of the way and oblige the emergency vehicle. It does not say that you must get out of the way.

If you didn't get out of the way, you would be prosecuted for obstruction (summons), or possibly careless driving (summons & 5pts on conviction). It's taken very seriously.

Unless you're putting yourself in real & serious danger by moving out of the way, you would be prosecuted for not moving, depending of course on the severity of the emergency.

I think nobody should be on Chief's permission. Some of the sods coming out of Templemore have something to prove. Usually by wrapping a patrol car around a metal pole while driving on C/Supts permission. A sad state of affairs, but it isn't close to some of the other problems plaguing the job

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

This could be a first on boards.

Gardai giving out about the gardai.

I do understand yere complaints but i think thats for another thread.

• Advertisement
Advertisement