Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tosh nightclub...used to be O'Flahs under Great Southern

Options
  • 29-02-2008 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

Whats it like? Is it a load of 'tosh' as the name suggests? someone said there is 'a good DJ' playing there tonight...I was scared to even ask the name

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

guess this can be taken by me....i work in the Meyrick so.........

yup Mani from the Stones Roses is on tonight.........

couldnt possibly comment on anything else...........

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

guess this can be taken by me....i work in the Meyrick so.........

yup Mani from the Stones Roses is on tonight.........

couldnt possibly comment on anything else...........

Are you serious??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Walked in and swiftly turned and right back out again, even the security agreed that the place is terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

padi89 wrote: »
    Walked in and swiftly turned and right back out again, even the security agreed that the place is terrible.

Nice place to pick up a recently divorced yummy mummy? :D

It's all mirrors and nothing else, really. Makes the place look tiny. It was so much nicer the way it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Blood-Martyr

I work in the hotel , and Tosh is just a hole 2bh. It's not very popular at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

they should start by giving it a better name

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Buzz Buzz

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Nice place to pick up a recently divorced yummy mummy? :D

Spot on, was full of 30+ easy pickin's during raceweek and the oyster festival.. load of bulls*it otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

there's always photos of 'Brenda from Salthill and Kristoslav from Lithuania' having a great night out in Tosh'...must be in some agreement with the local papers...never been there myself, nor do I ever intend going there...

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭tonyhiggins

During the jazz festival, the post-gig jam sessions were held there and it suited that... but not a great spot. The old bar was actually alright for meeting folks the couple of times I went there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭kellyreilly

Here here. Rathered the old gaf, o flahs.

It went from a naughtons pub to a living room kind of joint.

Went there now and again as o flaths but only twice as Tosh

Don't know what crowd goes there though i always assumed G$ types or G$ wannabes-correct or false ?

It was already noted that its full of 'divorced yummy mummies' and 'easy pickings' so i suppose nuff said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭5times

i always assumed G$ types or G$ wannabes-correct or false ?

What does this mean - in English please.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

G4 I think!

I can't comment as I've never been in it. I do know it is named after one of the owners, that's his surname.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

well as fun as o'flaherty's was in its day, for big screen, matches and carvery....by the time the GSH closed it was dead and had been closed for months as customers some of whom are obviously on here, no longer came in the numbers they did in order for it to be viable...as for the owner's surname, never heard anything as silly as that before, you talk tosh!!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭japanesebanana

It's a really cool looking place, great location and they are beginning to get some big name DJ's in there. Just takes some right marketing and a bit of time. Rome wasn't built in a day.

and they are beginning to get some big name DJ's in there

Really? From what i have observed they just get in celebrity DJ's to spin a few tunes.Seems to be a growing trend nowadays in Galway.Why would you want to go see Peter Hook or Mani play records???:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

lines4.jpg :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Really? From what i have observed they just get in celebrity DJ's to spin a few tunes.Seems to be a growing trend nowadays in Galway.Why would you want to go see Peter Hook or Mani play records???:confused:

Peter Hook of Joy Division/New Order and you dont know why you would want to hear him spin tunes? The Hacienda, excuse the spelling, would be one big reason.

kayos wrote: »
    Peter Hook of Joy Division/New Order and you dont know why you would want to hear him spin tunes? The Hacienda, excuse the spelling, would be one big reason.

Yep thats exactly my point, the whole marketing behind the gigs are ,its Peter Hook from....... and Mani from......Both bass players from well known bands so its easy to sell a DJ set using their past, its not as if either are known for their skills on decks.Im sure Hook will thrown in plenty of remixed and rehashed JD/NO to get his gig going.TBH i don't see what the Hacienda has got to do with the gig, its not as if Tosh will have any reflection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

TBH i don't see what the Hacienda has got to do with the gig, its not as if Tosh will have any reflection.

History will show why the Hacienda is related to Peter Hook and New Order. New Order where one of the big names behind the acid house/rave as the part owners of the Hacienda, Tony Willson being the other I think. Dont think Peter was DJ'ing back then but hey there was a big connection to the dance/dj scene.

I blame my older brother for subjecting me to Joy Division and New Order as a kid as one of the reasons I got into house and started DJ'ing.

Then again http://youtube.com/watch?v=m01g4XnC_qU amazing decks these days the stylus does not even have to touch the 12", heck you dont even need a 12" on the platter :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

The whole 'DJ set by…' thing is a joke. Just because someone is a decent musician or plays in a decent band, why would you pay to go and hear them play some records?

As for Tosh being an unlikely name, has no one heard of reggae legend and ex-Wailer Peter Tosh? (short for Macintosh, I believe)

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭alexiadexia

God I've had 2 great nights in Tosh! Defo not my type of place usually...Much too posh for me!
    But I suppose the expensvie Mojitos & Double JDs might have been the reason. Had a great night at the Peter Hook "Dj set" danced my ass off! I think I like it cause it's so easy to get to the bar!! (hmm I sound like a right alco!- I'm not - honest!! )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Phaetonman

Peter Hook is a joke. He puts on mix cds and just plays air guitar with the mixer. He even admits so.

Shame on anybody that actually went to him.

Advertisement