Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Project

Options
  • 29-02-2008 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭

Is there anyone here who is doing their project that would like to provide a few tips as i am in a bit of a rut

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

Our teacher gave us a load of notes on how to go about doing it. I have mine mostly done (thanks to my brother) and never read the notes he gave us. I'll try read them tonight and see if theirs any good tips on them.

Have you got any books or sources on the area you're studying yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 swimfan22

Hope this helps, I did my project oh so long ago, or so it seems ;) First off, I assume you've picked a topic? Then get a few sources and read them. For the extended essay it's about 1500 words right? You should have more than enough info to fill that, I found the problem was editing it down!!
    For the review part, just write about what you "learned" while doing the topic (critical reading, finding sources, editing etc) and any problems you had while doing it, and it should be ok.
    For the evaluation of sources, just write about what was useful in your books/websites, and maybe about any little thing you found irritating- for example, for my project I found only some of my sources had maps, which was a bit annoying as it was military history! :mad:
    Hope this helps, I know the research topic can be a pain and a bit stressful, so good luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I started my history project on "The Howth Gun Running", I found very little on it at all. I couldn't find any books in the liabary or a decent enough web source. I said it to my teacher today and she suggested trying a local book shop in town and that if all else failed to pick another topic as soon as.

So I went down to the book shop after school and asked them would they be able to help my find a book suitable to the topic. They tried their best, but didn't find anything. I asked a teacher for advice in school when I went back to school. She suggested the titanic, but my history teacher told us that it would be too broad and too many people do it anyway.

I thought about it a bit more during evening study and came up with the idea of doing the first dail goverment. Now, I have gone to google and put it in, but I didn't get a whole load of info. I went onto amazon and my local liabary page to try find books about it, but again I couldn't find anything.

Can someone please suggest something for me to do my topic on. I am really stuck on it now and I don't know what else to do. I know there are loads of things I can do it on, but I want it to be as simple as possible. I know that sounds lazy, but it's what I want to do it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    I started my history project on "The Howth Gun Running", I found very little on it at all. I couldn't find any books in the liabary or a decent enough web source. I said it to my teacher today and she suggested trying a local book shop in town and that if all else failed to pick another topic as soon as.

So I went down to the book shop after school and asked them would they be able to help my find a book suitable to the topic. They tried their best, but didn't find anything. I asked a teacher for advice in school when I went back to school. She suggested the titanic, but my history teacher told us that it would be too broad and too many people do it anyway.

I thought about it a bit more during evening study and came up with the idea of doing the first dail goverment. Now, I have gone to google and put it in, but I didn't get a whole load of info. I went onto amazon and my local liabary page to try find books about it, but again I couldn't find anything.

Can someone please suggest something for me to do my topic on. I am really stuck on it now and I don't know what else to do. I know there are loads of things I can do it on, but I want it to be as simple as possible. I know that sounds lazy, but it's what I want to do it on.

You could always pick a specific aspect of the Titanic, such as the experience of the passengers in the final hours or something like that. I suggest www.abebooks.co.uk when looking for a source, there's some rare books available on there. I managed to get a book written in the 1970's for my history project from that site, delivered and all within a week.
    The first Dail government could be good too actually, would the national museum or something not have some documents for sources for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭illiop

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    I started my history project on "The Howth Gun Running"

^ Thats what i did my project on. well, more specifically "Erskine Childers and The Howth Gun Running".
    Can anyone tell me how much of it is included in the 1500 cause i can't find it anywhere and our teacher won't give us a straight answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

illiop wrote: »
    ^ Thats what i did my project on. well, more specifically "Erskine Childers and The Howth Gun Running".
    Can anyone tell me how much of it is included in the 1500 cause i can't find it anywhere and our teacher won't give us a straight answer.

I havent started my history coursework yet and its due in a few weeks, I like the sound of the howth gun running, what are your sources..?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭jakedixon2004

I have done mine on Easy Company(Band Of Brother) which is great crack finding loads of info on
    I was wondering if you should do analysis throughout the essay or just one big conclusion at the end (I dont mean the rewiew of the process)

Can Anyone give me a good Irish based project to do with some sources!?!?!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭conor2007

i did the treaty

just got 3 book from a fingal library - got a b overall - with not a lot of work

just put some effort in it and its fairly easy marks

Ah, do you remember the name of the three books...?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭illiop

Sorry i didn't reply to you BJC I haven't read this post in ages.
    My three sources were to biographies on Erskine Childers(I can't remember the names offf the top of my head) and his novel. But his novel isn't really a proper source so i added in a website that had some general history of the time.

illiop wrote: »
    Sorry i didn't reply to you BJC I haven't read this post in ages.
    My three sources were to biographies on Erskine Childers(I can't remember the names offf the top of my head) and his novel. But his novel isn't really a proper source so i added in a website that had some general history of the time.

Thanks illiop, I ended up choosing the Cuban Mariel boatlift of 1980, its actually really interesting, sources are dog-rough to find though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 eoinalmighty

Just make sure you take notes when you read your sources! Saves an amazing amount of time

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Diairist

if you're still at the 'blue sky' stage your local library probably has Robert Kee's book about Irish History. The Christian Brother / filthy Sassenach bits aren't included and some remark by him on an event you like may surprise you. I was gobsmacked that the massacre on Vinegar Hill was contracted out to the North Cork Militia.

Advertisement