Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a 2nd hand car

Options
  • 29-02-2008 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭

Hi ..

I'm buying a 2nd hand car which has an NCT cert with 12/ 06 on it ... Does this mean its not been tested since 12/06 ???

The car is in good shape and will pass but am I likely to face any fines or penalties because its overdue its NCT ?

Cheers

LK--<

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

LizardKing wrote: »
    I'm buying a 2nd hand car which has an NCT cert with 12/ 06 on it ... Does this mean its not been tested since 12/06 ???

Presume you mean the NCT expired in 12/06

This would mean it was last tested in 12/04.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭LizardKing

ya the cert says 12/06 (expired then I think) ... so its not been tested for 4 years ...

am I gonna get hit by the NCT crowd badly ???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

The car is in good shape and will pass but am I likely to face any fines or penalties because its overdue its NCT ?

yes if you were to just avoid doing NCT. no as you've just bought it and reg certs etc can take a while to be sorted

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

am I gonna get hit by the NCT crowd badly ???

No, just get it tested - won't be a problem.

They'll only give you a cert till 12/08 though and you'll have to do it all again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Celtic07

how ye rate fiat stilos 1.216v?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Why buy it without test? Let seller test it or walk away. Could be nightmare stuff seeing as its been left so long or perhaps has failed a few times! What car is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Hi ..

Cheers

LK--<

That means it was due it's last NCT in December 2006. If the car is in good shape and will pass the NCT then why didn't the seller just get it NCT'd when he/she put it up for sale?

Surely when selling a car a valid NCT will enhance it's appeal to a potential buyer unless the seller is really hiding something serious? Has the seller the report from the last NCT in 2006? It might point to any potential problems which a visual inspection might not find.

Something doesn't add up here. I would get the seller to put it through the NCT first before agreeing to buy it, if it passes then give them the cost of the test back. If they have an issue with that then walk away, there are plently of cars out there for sale with valid NCTs, why take the risk?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Buying off brothers friend , don't think he'd do me with the car ... no idea why the nct was left for so long ... its a ford fiesta ...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Buying off brothers friend , don't think he'd do me with the car ... no idea why the nct was left for so long ... its a ford fiesta ...

I'd ask him all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Don't touch it without an NCT Cert.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭lizzyd66

I bought a Ford Fusion last year that was due its NCT. Looked fine but asked the owner to put it thru just in case. Turned out needed €450 of work to get it to pass. That was fine and we agreed a new price and I then put it through for the retest. I would encourage you to get the guy you are buying from to put it through just in case. How would you feel if there was something costly that wasn't reflected in the price you paid?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

have to agree with lizzy. brothers friend or not he could still "forget" about certain problems with a car that "were never there before" etc.

ask him to bring it for NCT so your 100% safe, if he refuses then he knows (and you will too) that the car is a lemon

Didn't we have this same discussion recently here.

Tell him you'll pay the €50 for him to do the NCT. If it fails miserably then walk away, if it passes then you know its not a lemon.

Advertisement