Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Conversion Process: Private to Commercial (Jeep)

Options
  • 29-02-2008 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭

Since I've had a bit of difficulty finding all the bits of information needed for converting my '95 Jeep Cherokee to a commercial vehicle I thought I'd document it here in case anyone else has the same trouble.

1: Convert the vehicle

Easier said then done since trying to find someone that will do it AND sign off on it is a bit of a chore. The insurance company needs the work to be signed by an engineer before they will insure the vehicle. Try panel beaters, sheet metal workers or the occasional engineering shop. All back seats must be removed. All seat belts must be removed. Seat belt bolt holes must be soldered closed. All rear windows (except boot window) must be covered up on the inside using metal sheeting. Window opening functionality must be disabled from rear windows. The entire rear of the vehicle must be lined with metal sheeting also, wood won't do.

2: Get the vehicle DOE tested

This is the easy part since there are loads of authorised LGV (Light Goods Vehicle) test centres around the place. Go here to find one near you.

3: Get the vehicle weighed

I was very fortunate to just be passing a weighing station today that is authorised by the tax office. Cost me €25. You need this when getting it changed from private to commercial.

4: The paper work

This is where I'm still a bit sketchy but I think you must then go to the VRO with your DOE test report and the weight report and they will check if the work on the conversion meets the required standards. Presumably they issue you with some document that recognises that your vehicle is now a commercial.

Please correct anything I've left out.

Nick

Advertisement