Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

33 Palestians/8 Israelis murdered and how the media reacts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Ok here are my thoughts

The Palestinian people elected a terrorist organization, Hamas.

Hamas launched rockets into Israel.

Israel retaliated to defend its people.

The fact that Palestinian people are being killed is good for Hamas propaganda.

The occupation, apartheid, ethnic cleansing,and Gaza being an open air prison, all existed before the rockets. Strange that this inconvenient fact tends to be left out.

As for Palestinians killed, well as we have seen this numerous time, Israel could care less and will blame everyone but themselves fro there own actions. To this day they ignore the Zionists movements ethnic cleansing of Palestine and blame the victims instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

Unbelievable..A few people die in a attack in jerusalem and it's wall to wall coverage on the T.V......but when childern die in gaza it hardy makes the news at all. Disgusting and it's no wonder isreal is hated throughout the world:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Dubit10 wrote: »
    Unbelievable..A few people die in a attack in jerusalem and it's wall to wall coverage on the T.V......but when childern die in gaza it hardy makes the news at all. Disgusting and it's no wonder isreal is hated throughout the world:mad:

What wall to wall TV coverage ?

I have not seen a single think about 'a attack in jerusalem'

Do you have any sources ?.

I see a lot about the plight of people in Gaza, I see it on the RTE website and even though i have not seen the TV I presume it is going to be on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I think he is talking about this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7282269.stm

A terrible and unjustifiable crime.

Its really sad and it seems like things will escalate and more lives will be lost on both sides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

wes wrote: »
    I think he is talking about this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7282269.stm

A terrible and unjustifiable crime.

Its really sad and it seems like things will escalate and more lives will be lost on both sides.

Yes it is terrible and horrific but inevitable with the situation in Gaza the past few years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Dubit10 wrote: »

tbh, a horrible incident like that deserves media attention

i agree that the media networks (like Sky) do go to town on certain events but i think you're underestimating the fact that some networks do give alot of attention to events like this especially on slow news days like today seems to be. i know the mass media is rife with their own agendas but sadly this is a very significant and tragic event which would receive attention either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

Ok here are my thoughts

The Palestinian people elected a terrorist organization, Hamas.

Hamas launched rockets into Israel.

Israel retaliated to defend its people.

The fact that Palestinian people are being killed is good for Hamas propaganda.

If you invade/oppress a country/people and they start fighting back, the style or method of the fighting back is NOT the issue, the invasion is. Why don't you add a few lines before that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Raintonite

While there is much to admire about Israel, it has definitely lost the plot. Murdering several children playing football in the gaza is just plain barbaric. I'd call it an act of terrorism but, after reading another post, apparently if you are a big army with uniforms and such you can't be considered a terrorist. Be what may, such actions will mean that Hamas won't have any problem recruiting for their organisation in the future. Sad for all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

your sorry for me is much appreciated, but I am fine thanks

Well it was the people that voted fro Hamas so reagarless of what you do to the Hamas leadership theer will be another set of idiots to take over the terrorist activity the next day.

They ( the people) have brought it all on themselves. They will never learn

O.k, so let me get this straight, people, some of whom don't even know why this fighting is going on ( children), others who just want peace and to not live in terror, which is what they are being subjected to thanks to forces in both Israel and Gaza, brought it on themselves. Who knew they could get the blame, just by doing nothing! Sorry, but your logic stinks as much as a public mens toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

"Media Bias" thread about the attack in Israel today merged into this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

What wall to wall TV coverage ?

I have not seen a single think about 'a attack in jerusalem'
    Well you must be walking around with your fingers in your ears and your eyes shut tightly - it's everywhere:
    http://www.independent.ie/world-news/middle-east/eight-killed-as-palestinian-gunman-storms-seminary-1308880.html
    jonny72 wrote: »
    If you invade/oppress a country/people and they start fighting back, the style or method of the fighting back is NOT the issue, the invasion is.
    Of course it's an issue. Are you saying it's perfectly ok for Hamas to blow up orphanages in Tel Aviv?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

well Israel finally received the inevitable.

Several students dead. Expect hundreds killed in retaliation over the next few days.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080307/ap_on_re_mi_ea/israel_palestinians

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

More proganda. From the title you would think Lybia was condoning the attack but if you read in Bold below it merely wanted to include a condemnation of both Israel's attacks and the terrorist attack inside Israel.
    Libya blocks UN from condemning violence By JOHN HEILPRIN, Associated Press Writer
    Fri Mar 7, 3:56 AM ET

UNITED NATIONS - For the second time in two months, Libya on Thursday blocked the U.N. Security Council from condemning violence and unrest in the Middle East.

ADVERTISEMENT

The move came after a gunman entered the library of a rabbinical seminary in Jerusalem and opened fire on a crowded nighttime study session, killing eight people and wounding nine before he was slain. Israeli defense officials said the attacker came from east Jerusalem, the predominantly Palestinian section of the city.

Zalmay Khalilzad, U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, said the obstruction undermines the council's effectiveness in the region.

"What happened today was clearly a terrorist act," he told reporters after the council's almost two-hour emergency session. "We regret that this makes it difficult for the council to contribute positively to developments in this region, but those who blocked this possibility bear responsibility for that."

The United States had proposed a press statement, which carries less weight than a formal resolution, condemning a day of violence that included not only the seminary attack but also a deadly ambush of an army patrol near Israel's border with Gaza. Palestinian militants set off a bomb, blowing up an Israeli army jeep and killing a soldier.

In closed-door discussion among the 15-nation council's diplomats, Libya insisted the statement should be "balanced" by including condemnation of Israeli actions in Gaza, a Libyan U.N. representative said after the meeting.
    Three other nations agreed with Libya, but most council members wanted to keep the issues separate, said council diplomats involved in the negotiations.

Russia's U.N. ambassador Vitaly Churkin, the council's president this month, suggested a compromise by including an expression of deep regret at the loss of civilian life in the conflicts so far, and said he regretted Libya would not go along.

In January, Libya blocked the council from expressing concern about the safety of people living along the chaotic Gaza-Egypt border. The council had negotiated for most of the week on how to word a statement originally proposed by Arab nations and initially opposed by the U.S.

Last Sunday, at the request of the Palestinians and their Arab supporters, the council emerged from a five-hour emergency session to issue a press statement condemning the escalation of fighting in southern Israel and Gaza and urging Israelis and Palestinians "to immediately cease all acts of violence

• Registered Users Posts: 16,802 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Funningly enough when America does it the associated press don't take that line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

djpbarry wrote: »
    Well you must be walking around with your fingers in your ears and your eyes shut tightly - it's everywhere:
    http://www.independent.ie/world-news/middle-east/eight-killed-as-palestinian-gunman-storms-seminary-1308880.html
    Check the time of my post, I heard the news about the shooting at 10pm.

Of course it's an issue. Are you saying it's perfectly ok for Hamas to blow up orphanages in Tel Aviv?

No, I am talking about the main issue here. As repulsive as it is, Hamas blowing up orphanages is not the main issue, its a response. It didn't just happen out of the blue for no reason. However thats how countries like Britain, Russia and Israel like to portray it when such things happen, like all of a sudden its the main issue, they are under attack, they must defend themselves, clever spin and marketing. They are reaping what they sowed and they shouldn't pretend its anything else. The main issue is the original reason why its happening.

No, I am talking about the main issue here. As repulsive as it is, Hamas blowing up orphanages is not the main issue, its a response. It didn't just happen out of the blue for no reason.
    Irrelevant. I don't care what a suicide bomber's motivation is - he's still murdering innocent people and hence, is sub-human scum. If there is a hell, I certainly hope he ends up there.

It seems that you think that Hamas can do whatever the hell they want as Israel's occupation justifies it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Irrelevant. I don't care what a suicide bomber's motivation is - he's still murdering innocent people and hence, is sub-human scum. If there is a hell, I certainly hope he ends up there.

It seems that you think that Hamas can do whatever the hell they want as Israel's occupation justifies it.

Well morally its a tricky issue. These are people driven to desperation .. you dont take your own life on a whim. It just shows what these people have been through when they react like this.

But what do people expect? This is the occupied West Bank. You want to be safe then you dont go there. Its not like these people dont have a choice. They are behaving recklessly and are dying because of it. Israel Im sure would just consider these people collateral damage in the pursuit of a Greater Israel.

Playboy wrote: »
    Well morally its a tricky issue.
    No it isn't! Killing innocent civilians, be they Israeli, Palestinian or whatever, is immoral.
    Playboy wrote: »
    These are people driven to desperation .. you dont take your own life on a whim.
    It's hardly going to improve the plight of the Palestinians though, is it? Think about it; what's the most effective way to raise awareness about the plight of your people:

1. Board a bus in Haifa, wait until it's full of commuters and then detonate the bomb you have concealed under your jacket.
    OR
    2. Board a bus in Haifa and hand out flyers to people detailing what is happening to Palestinian people in Gaza.

Which is more likely to earn you support among the Israeli population?

Woah woah guys, you can drop bombs and kill dozens of innocent Palestinians and call it 'collateral damage' but my God I draw the line at suicide bombers thats just not on. What planet are you from??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

Woah woah guys, you can drop bombs and kill dozens of innocent Palestinians and call it 'collateral damage' but my God I draw the line at suicide bombers thats just not on. What planet are you from??

Planet morality perhaps? Killing innocent civilians is wrong. Whether they are Israeli or Palestinian. Is that so difficult to understand? Are you planning to try to justify this attack? because if there are justified reasons for the Palestinians to attack Israeli civilians, then the same could be said for the IDF attacking civilian targets in Gaza and the West Bank. You've got to draw the line somewhere.

...you can drop bombs and kill dozens of innocent Palestinians and call it 'collateral damage'...
    I'm sorry, where did I say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

No it isn't! Killing innocent civilians, be they Israeli, Palestinian or whatever, is immoral.

Define Innocent? They are occupying the West Bank. That does not make them innocent in the eyes of the Palestinians. If you were in the Palestinians position you might not be able to draw the line of innocence so easily.
    djpbarry wrote:
    It's hardly going to improve the plight of the Palestinians though, is it? Think about it; what's the most effective way to raise awareness about the plight of your people:

1. Board a bus in Haifa, wait until it's full of commuters and then detonate the bomb you have concealed under your jacket.
    OR
    2. Board a bus in Haifa and hand out flyers to people detailing what is happening to Palestinian people in Gaza.

Which is more likely to earn you support among the Israeli population?

These guys are not thinking logically though .. they are desperate. Its easy to be objective when you are sitting at home nice and safe. Maybe this guys family have just been murdered. Who knows what the motivation is?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

"According to police sources, a Palestinian man from east Jerusalem entered the school with an assault rifle and headed for the library, where he opened fire before being gunned down by law enforcement officers.

Police only said that the man suspected of carrying out the attack came from the Jabal al-Mukaber area of east Jerusalem. But relatives of Alaa Hisham Abu Dheim, 25, said the police had informed them that Alaa Hisham had carried out the attack. Shortly after the attack, Hezbollah television in Beirut claimed that those responsible were members of a previously unknown group called ‘Phalange of Free Men of Galilee - Groups of the Martyr Imad Mughnieh and Martyrs of Gaza.’ "

Is it not newsworthy when Israel suffers losses?

Define Innocent?

Are you kidding me?! A teen in school is innocent, a newborn Israeli baby is innocent. Anyone who has nothing to do with further fuelling tensions between both sides is innocent! I thought we could at least agree on that? Anyone who takes the life of innocents in such a callous and calculated cannot convince me, or most people, that their cause is just.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

nope....sky and fox got that angle covered

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

i see where you're going with this and i agree.

How can we not come to a consensus that both side's killings will never solve anything, and that the taking of lives of innocents can never be justified, whatever side you are on yourself? If people want to talk about the "media bias", what about the incredible anti-Israel bias that exists on this board?

NOBODY felt this story was worthy of a thread, and in the "the world is silent..." thread people are already trying to spin this tragedy as something that Israel "had coming to them". Well the teens that died didn't. There are absolutely no winners or losers in this conflict and using the old "well Murdoch is making people think.." excuse is a transparent justification for many people's anti-Israel and in some cases, anti-Semetic views

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

OP are you israeli or jewish???
    think people on this board can make their minds up for themselves, Press coverage of this event has been very high as have the discussions on the expected revenge of israel against Palestine.
    Why did you open this thread?,to complain about this incident not being discussed or to discuss this incident?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

*mono* wrote: »
    OP are you israeli or jewish???
    think people on this board can make their minds up for themselves, Press coverage of this event has been very high as have the discussions on the expected revenge of israel against Palestine.
    Why did you open this thread?,to complain about this incident not being discussed or to discuss this incident?

No. Every time a palestinian is killed there is thread of hate towards Jews and America

Essentially, it actually boils down to an Anti American agenda

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement