Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSc in Business & Entrepreneurship

Options
  • 29-02-2008 6:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Anyone got any opinions on this course. I have been working in IT for a while now and I am sick of the technical stuff. I like the look of this qualification but dont know if it holds any weight. Any opinions would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

i did the MSc in International Business in DIT, don't think the course you mentioned was available when I did it (only a year ago!) but I'd say most of the course material is the same. A friend of mine did the MSc Marketing (conversion course for IT grads, he had a it degree from trinity) and both of us found are respective courses very reasonable. I wouldnt be the most academic student and was able to get through without much of a sweat. I would say if you are coming from a business degree background that you may get a bit bored as it is quite repetetive. If you post up a sylabus i can give you more insight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 ecommerce

Cheers for the feedback, I looked at the Msc in international business but i am coming from an IT background, so cannot get onto it.
    The link to the course I was asking about is

http://www.dit.ie/DIT/study/graduate/courses/DT353%20Programme%20Content.pdf
    ditpoker wrote: »
    i did the MSc in International Business in DIT, don't think the course you mentioned was available when I did it (only a year ago!) but I'd say most of the course material is the same. A friend of mine did the MSc Marketing (conversion course for IT grads, he had a it degree from trinity) and both of us found are respective courses very reasonable. I wouldnt be the most academic student and was able to get through without much of a sweat. I would say if you are coming from a business degree background that you may get a bit bored as it is quite repetetive. If you post up a sylabus i can give you more insight.

alot of the subjects are the exact same as the Int Business masters just under a different name. eg. "Operations Management" on my course was "International Operations Management", and on your course its "Operations Management for Emergent Markets" or something.

The seminar series is a joke, and its something you'll just use an excuse for either a, an extended christmas holiday, or b, time to study/write thesis. I'd imagine if you can get a good thesis supervisor you're laughing. I see you'd have a ops management and finance, so you'd probably have a lecturer called joe coughlan, get him as your supervisor for your thesis and you'll be laughing.

do you know who the overall course cooridnator is/would be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 ecommerce

So are you saying its a bit of an easy course ?. I am trying to get a feeling is it something worth doing from a learning perspective. I don't want to just go back to Uni and do it for the sake of having an easy year. For one thing, going back full-time would mean racking up quite a bit of debt. There is another course in Trinity and DCU I am looking at. I just really liked the sound of this one, but if its not held in any real regard, I may be best passing. Did your Msc help at all in what you wanted to do ?.

I have no idea who the course coordinator would be, haven't talked to anyone about it.

From my point of view I did DIT Management and Marketing as my degree and went straight into the Masters, so I had alot of the same lecturers for similar courses. My brother was in DCU and my friend did the marketing conversion course (has a IT degree from trinity). I came out of college straight into a well paid job in education, and my friend has has gone into a grad program with a marketing research company in south dublin.

sounds like you're doing the masters for the right reasons, and I know people who are paying €10k + to do the same course in Smurfit, but they;re doing the same modules, courses, material, all you get for your extra €5k is a smug sense of self satisfaction that i loath. Ask anyone who goes to smurfit and they'll tell you its the best thing EVER EVER EVER OMG EVER!!! ask anyone who has gone anywhere else and they'll say what i've said above. To be honest DIT will be no worse or better than DCU/Trinity etc. As with all colleges some lecturers/classes are excellent.

I think this course matches your needs, but be open minded when you go to the interview, don't worry about selling yourself to them, they are as much selling themselves to you. I went for interview for MSc International Business and MSc Advertising and felt like I was being spoken to like a child in the advertising course. Interview ended with "so, if you had a preference for this masters or the international business masters which would you prefer" to which i was quite restrained when i replied "definately the international business course!"

Call up the course coordinators and chat to them about it. From their point of view if they get a phone call from an enthusiastic student, the interview/selction process will be a formality.

• Advertisement
Advertisement